Chris Jericho rips into True North on MvsW Podcast

ythelastman82

Apr 5, 2014
Hi Everyone:

Longtime reader, first time poster.

Anyway...

On the Marek vs Wyshynski Thursday podcast, wrestler/former Winnipeger Chris Jericho completely ripped into True North Sports & Entertainment.

Highlights (lowlights?) included:

-Attended a game a couple weeks ago while wearing his Dale Hawerchuk Jets jersey. The Jets pep squad approached him to be on screen/camera to talk Jets but told him he couldn't wear that Jersey, citing it's a marketing thing.
-Refused to take off his jersey so they wouldn't put him on screen/camera
-Further went into how TNSE does not acknowledge any of the Jets past including Bobby Hull (cannot believe his number doesn't hang from the rafters), Steen, Hawerchuk, etc.
-Believes the reason the Jets currently sell out is because of Jets history
-Wouldn't give Bobby Hull or his Dad free tickets (is that true?) or ask them to drop the puck
-Feels fans are getting a gift-wrapped turd for Christmas and are too happy about it. Every year is the same thing and the team isn't very good.

(On a very cool note, he fought with Vince MacMahon to be "From Winnipeg" when being announced; MacMahon wanted everyone to be from somewhere in the States, even if they weren't)

Just wondering what anyone thinks about these comments? Should TNSE acknowledge the entire Jets' history?

To listen to the podcast, here is the link. His comments start around the 28 minute mark.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/590/marek-vs-wyshynski/

White Out 403*

Embarrassing behaviour from TNSE. mediocre low ball crap. Just like our new team

Edit: and of course they'd want him to remove the old jersey it's far nicer.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
Pretty much a non-story for me.
I'm happy Jericho is proud to be from Winnipeg, but in many ways he's just an average joe blowing off steam.
I don't give his opinion more validity than any other fan.
ts 100% reasonable for TNSE to only want to promote their current jersey, not sure why thats an issue.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Different franchise - they'd be honouring the franchise in Arizona if they honoured the original Jets. Difficult position for TNSE.

I get a distinct sense of deja-vu with this thread.

Waldo

May 27, 2002
Winnipeg
Visit site
Much ado about nothing. I've haven't seen or heard anything about TNSE where they haven't been ethical, thoughtful and above board in all their dealings. They don't deserve to be ripped by someone who only seeks attention and publicity for himself.

And of course a negative and public statement always invites flamers who probably don't live here and want to trash Winnipeg about everything and anything when they get a chance.

Time to move on to some worthwhile topic.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Different franchise - they'd be honouring the franchise in Arizona if they honoured the original Jets. Difficult position for TNSE.

...er, Teemu Selanne? ;)

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
...er, Teemu Selanne? ;)

Player vs. franchise. ;)

Edit: to expand upon this - I don't see any issue with honouring original Jet players, but doing something to show favour to another franchise muddies the waters for them, I'm sure. I was commenting on the original Jets franchise (Coyotes), not so much the players. Should have been clearer.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
-Attended a game a couple weeks ago while wearing his Dale Hawerchuk Jets jersey. The Jets pep squad approached him to be on screen/camera to talk Jets but told him he couldn't wear that Jersey, citing it's a marketing thing.
-Refused to take off his jersey so they wouldn't put him on screen/camera
-Further went into how TNSE does not acknowledge any of the Jets past including Bobby Hull (cannot believe his number doesn't hang from the rafters), Steen, Hawerchuk, etc.
-Believes the reason the Jets currently sell out is because of Jets history
-Feels fans are getting a gift-wrapped turd for Christmas and are too happy about it. Every year is the same thing and the team isn't very good.

YADA YADA YADA.....Same old...

Get over it. The franchise that TNSE bought are the Atlanta Thrashers, and that is the history we are stuck with for better or worse. All his complaints have to do with some franchise that plays in Glendale AZ, not Winnipeg.

Put a better goalie in net for that turd and we are a playoff team. :p:

wilty00

May 15, 2007
Kelowna/Winnipeg
Meh.

It's too bad that he wasn't allowed to wear his jersey, but I understand it from a TNSE perspective.

The rest of it just sounds like sour grapes.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Isn't this pretty much the same thing as if John Cena had gone out and torn ASG apart during the Thrashers years? Isn't listening blindly to what this chap says very much a appeal to inappropriate authority?

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand

This. I understand Jericho's position, but they can't really retire any numbers or honour Jets 1.0 players because it's a different franchise.

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
SAVE_US.Y2J!

If true, that's a lot of crap... I mean I get the "different franchise" argument but those guys are figures in WINNIPEG, not just wherever the franchise they played for happens to be...

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
I heard Hustler interview him when he was coming to town for World of Wheels probably a month and a half or so ago and the guy was about as adversarial as anyone I've ever heard when the whole interview were volleys to him to talk about himself and purposefully positive on his career across the board, which is basically dead.

I don't really care what his opinion is, he's a known jerk and it isn't a gimmick.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
(On a very cool note, he fought with Vince MacMahon to be "From Winnipeg" when being announced; MacMahon wanted everyone to be from somewhere in the States, even if they weren't)

I know this is true, for a short while he was from the states back when I watched rasslin.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
I heard Hustler interview him when he was coming to town for World of Wheels probably a month and a half or so ago and the guy was about as adversarial as anyone I've ever heard when the whole interview were volleys to him to talk about himself and purposefully positive on his career across the board, which is basically dead.

I don't really care what his opinion is, he's a known jerk and it isn't a gimmick.

I remember that - quite an 'uncomfortable' interview. Hustler might have some strong opinions, but he's usually very accommodating when interviewing people, and he's a huge Wrestling fan. I don't watch wrestling, so I have no idea who Jericho is. I do know he didn't do himself many favours in that interview.

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I personally don't like that True North refuses to acknowledge the past Winnipeg Jets yet hangs Manitoba Moose banners in the building.

I talked with Bobby Hull when he was in town & he said that he was not even invited to a game by the Winnipeg Jets.
That is just sad in my opinion.

Asking Chris Jericho to take off his old school jersey is complete ********.

Johnny HFBOARDS

Trade you!
Dec 10, 2011
Earth
OP:Good insight there that I suspected from 2.0. Don't care for fake wrestling but watched his Robot Combat League and it took a few episodes before I knew he was an ex-wrestler; also never knew he was from Wpg.

2.0 has no problem exploiting a famous persons persona for their marketing, but that same said persons real view as a fan isn't welcomed, typical.

razorsedge

Oct 19, 2006
The jersey thing is kinda bad, but beyond that, he just sounds like another frustrated fan is all. His opinion really isnt important.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
This. I understand Jericho's position, but they can't really retire any numbers or honour Jets 1.0 players because it's a different franchise.

I'm pretty sure that can choose to honor who ever the heck they feel like. Mike keans number remains hanging at the arena. The NHL wouldn't prevent the jets from hanging a bobby hull banner in the arena.

ythelastman82

Apr 5, 2014
One thing that I still find odd to this day (although it's widely known why they did it) is that if TNSE is so insistent on distancing itself from the Winnipeg Jets 1.0, then it's unwise to name the team "The Jets."

Jericho was awful on the radio that day and came across as a jerk. But I've met him at a bar in Winnipeg. He was friendly, sincere, and, most importantly, he bought my entire table a round of drinks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad