Chris Illitch

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Michael Brandsegg-Nygard or Bust.
May 11, 2023
I don't buy this. First of all, the guys he signed weren't all shit UFAs. They're reliable NHLers and by all accounts good leaders. A rebuilding team needs guys like this. Holl was a shit UFA, sure, but I doubt Chris Ilitch pressured Yzerman into signing Justin Holl to get asses in seats.

Oh but he did. This is Yzerman talking to Chris about signing Holl

1720019985900.gif

• Haha
Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I saw this tweet and also thought it was interesting.

That said when it comes to the Wings I think that is a lot more reflective of timing than it is the moves he’s made since being owner. Inherit a team on its last legs that has to re-build in a new lotto system where last place is most likely to get you pick #4, good luck with that.

Tigers are a different story, that’s a sport with no salary cap, but I won’t try to or speak to what’s been done there. I barley follow baseball and have 0 interest in particular with the Tigers.

Last edited:

Sparty

Oct 2, 2015
Not the way it happened with Scherzer, Mr I asked his agent and Scherzer what it would take to stay, they used Verlander contract as a gauge, Scherzer and his agent came back with a number and Mr I agreed to it. Scherzer than pulled out and said he could get $200m in the market as a free agent and that’s when Mr I went ballistic
Not only that, but the contract Scherzer signed in Washington was 7yrs/$210m, but it came in the form of $15m payments for fourteen years. He's getting paid on that contract until 2027.

I can't blame the Tigers for not wanting to match that deal. It got Washington a title and I doubt it would have got the Tigers one, because by then the wheels were starting to fall off in Detroit.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Poor baseball.

Chris has ZERO impact to our hockey operations.

And his dad's "no surrender" attitude dragged Red Wings down.

Holland would have started a rebuild earlier, but his hands were tied for the owner's will.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
It made perfect sense right up until we got strong-armed into doing Petry a favor after he got dumped on Montreal.

And before Ghost got slowly filtered down to the 3rd pairing, Chiarot - Holl was a fine 3rd pair. Pretty sure they led the league in +/- the first couple weeks...
Not for the money and term...

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
I mean, ok?

He doesn't deserve praise for 'stealing' Yzerman away. I don't care. What more is an owner supposed to do than hire the "best GM in the game" , regardless of how easy it was or what his name is?
I guess sit back and relax.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
$3M x 3 for a steady vet on the 3rd pairing is nothing. We don't have the horses elsewhere in the lineup to force us to field half a dozen league minimums.
But he sucks! He sucked in Toronto and is a healthy scratch here. Yzerman gave him a RAISE. The Toronto fans were ecstatic he signed with us.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
But he sucks! He sucked in Toronto and is a healthy scratch here. Yzerman gave him a RAISE. The Toronto fans were ecstatic he signed with us.
He sucks in a top 4 role but is perfectly fine in a bottom pairing role. Problem is we had to squeeze Ghost down there. That's no longer an issue.

A multitude of things shoved him out of the lineup, but when he signed and as he was deployed at the start of the season, it was fine.

Reactions: LongTimeDRWF

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
He sucks in a top 4 role but is perfectly fine in a bottom pairing role. Problem is we had to squeeze Ghost down there. That's no longer an issue.

A multitude of things shoved him out of the lineup, but when he signed and as he was deployed at the start of the season, it was fine.
He will be in the press box this year again if we can't trade him.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Poor baseball.

Chris has ZERO impact to our hockey operations.

And his dad's "no surrender" attitude dragged Red Wings down.

Holland would have started a rebuild earlier, but his hands were tied for the owner's will.

No, Mike obviously wanted to start a rebuild/retool earlier and promote Yzerman to GM. Holland refused to leave so we continued with the mess because of loyalty.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
Did Mike force him to make such awful draft picks? :huh:
No, that was Joe McDonnell. He ran Wings amateur scouting for 10 years and these are his top picks

- Darren Helm
- Justin Abdelkader
- Brendan Smith
- Riley Sheahan
- Kyle Quincey
- Jimmy Howard
- Nick Jensen
- Shawn Matthias
- Anthony Mantha
- Andreas Athanasiou

10 years and Helm is the best he found, and now people want him back because Stars were lucky couple times. I can't tell how many times i saw last season "ooh let's hire the Dallas scouts", all the scouts there are either former Wings scouts or scouts whose been in that house for several decades. And they also passed Larkin for Julius Honka.

I left Bertuzzi out of the list because i remember Draper being the driven force behind that pick.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
No, that was Joe McDonnell. He ran Wings amateur scouting for 10 years and these are his top picks

- Darren Helm
- Justin Abdelkader
- Brendan Smith
- Riley Sheahan
- Kyle Quincey
- Jimmy Howard
- Nick Jensen
- Shawn Matthias
- Anthony Mantha
- Andreas Athanasiou

10 years and Helm is the best he found, and now people want him back because Stars were lucky couple times. I can't tell how many times i saw last season "ooh let's hire the Dallas scouts", all the scouts there are either former Wings scouts or scouts whose been in that house for several decades. And they also passed Larkin for Julius Honka.

I left Bertuzzi out of the list because i remember Draper being the driven force behind that pick.
Yeah, I recall a former teammate on one of the Canadian national teams reached out to Draper to let him know about Bertuzzi.

Reactions: SantosHalper

The Real Pastafarian

Registered dipshit
Apr 4, 2020
Ohio (OH? IO.)
I really hate it when you guys discuss the ownership.

Do you want to see bad ownership? Look at half of the Canadian teams, where the GM can't approach the cap. The league had to define a floor because of those owners.

You're blaming Illitch because Yzerman didn't max out the cap his first few seasons here? I guess we could have gotten the payroll up by paying Rasmussen $11M per. We weren't attracting free agents and we had no talent in the pool to make trades for high-value guys, so that's the only way we could spend up to the cap limit.

What these discussions always boil down to is envy and class hatred. Gross.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
I really hate it when you guys discuss the ownership.

Do you want to see bad ownership? Look at half of the Canadian teams, where the GM can't approach the cap. The league had to define a floor because of those owners.

You're blaming Illitch because Yzerman didn't max out the cap his first few seasons here? I guess we could have gotten the payroll up by paying Rasmussen $11M per. We weren't attracting free agents and we had no talent in the pool to make trades for high-value guys, so that's the only way we could spend up to the cap limit.

What these discussions always boil down to is envy and class hatred. Gross.

Canadian teams? The cap floor was introduced after the 05 lockout and the most egregious teams from that era was the small american market teams like Atlanta, Pittsburgh, Nashville, Minnesota and Florida with financially bankrupt Edmonton (who still had a bigger payroll than aformentioned teams) was the worst in Canada. The rest of the Candaian teams wre above the newly introduced salary cap or in Torontos case, way above it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad