CHL TV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

lazyboy

Sponsor
May 24, 2010
Wallaceburg, Ontario
I've never really paid too much attention to this almost yearly thread, but can anyone out there give me some insight about the quality and reliability of CHL TV for OHL broadcasts? I cancelled my Cogeco not so long ago but would still like to access OHL games. I know a few years back there were many complaints but if I recall when the streaming service provider changed it sounded like it was much more reliable. Any thoughts on this (or alternatives) would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

PS: I plan on watching the app on my firestick

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
I've never really paid too much attention to this almost yearly thread, but can anyone out there give me some insight about the quality and reliability of CHL TV for OHL broadcasts? I cancelled my Cogeco not so long ago but would still like to access OHL games. I know a few years back there were many complaints but if I recall when the streaming service provider changed it sounded like it was much more reliable. Any thoughts on this (or alternatives) would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

It’s not too bad. Sometimes it buffers but that’s mainly reliant on our internet.

Only problem is the odd game they may have no sound for like 10-15 minutes on the broadcast or they may be late putting it on but I usually just message those teams on social media and get them to relay the message to the chl tv guys.

For the most part it’s all great. Not a lot of problems but there will be the odd game that frustrates you.

Mississauga had the worst broadcast but now that they’ve moved to Brampton it may be different.

Last edited:

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019

It's solid for the most part. Can re watch games if u missed them, or hear a certain game was crazy. Unfortunately u can't rewind or fast forward live games which sucks & is something they said they would be adding years back.

Reactions: lazyboy

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
It's solid for the most part. Can re watch games if u missed them, or hear a certain game was crazy. Unfortunately u can't rewind or fast forward live games which sucks & is something they said they would be adding years back.
This is the key for me. Re-watching games. Always love finding the games with multiple fights or reports on the boards of super dirty hits.

I have season tickets for 3 other teams as well, so if I miss a game, I'll come home and rewatch it later. The replay quality is usually better than the broadcast, you won't get any buffering there.

I'd give it an 7.5/10, good, but has some room to improve.

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario

It all depends on how your internet service provider. CHL TV has decent quality but for games it all depends on the local broadcasts and CHL TV itself.

CHL TV has been decent last season but it's all about your local internet company if your streaming service is decent it should be decent.

Reactions: lazyboy

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
The only “real” issue with CHLTV is you need to download the app and not all TV platforms have the app available. I had to buy an Amazon Fire stick because I wasn’t able to download the app on my TV. I think if you have a Google platform TV, you are screwed. I was able to download the app to my iPad so Apple platforms are fine.

donjohnson

Jan 29, 2013
I use it on Roku and it works great. There was an issue last year but it was fixed on Rokus end and then it worked great.

You are also at the mercy of the local broadcast... For example, the Soo broadcast often looks like it's filmed with a 1993 VHS camcorder... Others are a Rogers or cogeco broadcast. Also you are usually getting the local broadcasters who are typically pretty big homers but that's to be expected and not a big deal.

I would recommend it if your internet is stable.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
The only “real” issue with CHLTV is you need to download the app and not all TV platforms have the app available. I had to buy an Amazon Fire stick because I wasn’t able to download the app on my TV. I think if you have a Google platform TV, you are screwed. I was able to download the app to my iPad so Apple platforms are fine.
You can just airplay to the tv as well.

I have a Roku tv and it works with Apple airplay. Not perfect but a solid 8/10

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I use it on Roku and it works great. There was an issue last year but it was fixed on Rokus end and then it worked great.

You are also at the mercy of the local broadcast... For example, the Soo broadcast often looks like it's filmed with a 1993 VHS camcorder... Others are a Rogers or cogeco broadcast. Also you are usually getting the local broadcasters who are typically pretty big homers but that's to be expected and not a big deal.

But that is no different than Local TV whether it is Rogers, Cogeco, Eastlink etc. The key to this is whether the CHLTV is comparable to the local broadcasts and it is. The stream is much better than it used to be so provided your own Internet connection is solid and is capable fo streaming sports, then there should be no quality difference between CHL TV and your local TV provider that broadcasts games.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
I live far from any cable providers so this is my only access to ohl hockey. I get the feed through Explore and it is solid. Rarely have issues with the satellite feed but the local broadcasts is another issue. My tv is a newer LG so down loading any apps or streams is no issue. It is far better now than when they first started the service. I would recommend. You get every ohl game that is broadcast. I will watch games I missed from other centers on nights that there are no live games. Well worth the price.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017

and the broadcasters....

Reactions: OMG67

Slowpace

Jan 8, 2018
Overall happy with the service. If you're a season ticket holder, check with your team before subscribing as you can get a discount code that allows you to buy the OHL Regular Season for $89.99 vs $129.99.
You pay through the team, they send you the code, then apply the code when you order on the CHLTV site and it will then read $0.00. I just subscribed that way for the 2nd consecutive year.

Last edited:

Dogs Enthusiast

Sep 25, 2019
St, Catharines
I have paid for CHL live games for 5 or 6 years. Last year I noticed a real increase in the quality of stream. I will buy it again as soon as I get a discount code.

The only possible issue you may have, some teams don't exactly have the best production and camera work.

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
I have paid for CHL live games for 5 or 6 years. Last year I noticed a real increase in the quality of stream. I will buy it again as soon as I get a discount code.

The only possible issue you may have, some teams don't exactly have the best production and camera work.
How do you receive a discount code

Reactions: frontsfan67

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad