CHL can now play NCAA - change everything !

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013
Probably the CHL will re-write its educational benefits program to ensure that it is not subsidizing NCAA hockey.
How might that work? The scholarship is academic, meaning a kid who leaves the CHL and pursues a post-secondary education virtually anywhere in the world has his
tuition costs defrayed via the earned CHL scholarship. Gonna take away an earned academic scholarship because the kid plays school hockey? On what basis?

Not saying the scholarship package will remain as-is, but I really can’t fathom how the terms can be altered to disqualify kids after they’ve left the league just because they play a sport.

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
How might that work? The scholarship is academic, meaning a kid who leaves the CHL and pursues a post-secondary education virtually anywhere in the world has his
tuition costs defrayed via the earned CHL scholarship. Gonna take away an earned academic scholarship because the kid plays school hockey? On what basis?

Not saying the scholarship package will remain as-is, but I really can’t fathom how the terms can be altered to disqualify kids after they’ve left the league just because they play a sport.
They already do. Unless it's changed recently. I'm not sure exactly how it's worded but players who go pro, even if they're only playing in the ECHL or 2cnd tier Euro league for peanuts, forfeit their scholarship credits. I believe it used to be they had a 1 year grace period. Maybe somebody who knows the exact details (of how that worked) will post them.
Either way, putting it in writing that players who accept an NCAA scholarship forfeit their CHL scholarship is very very likely.

EDIT: Copied directly from the whl website:
"The WHL Scholarship is guaranteed to the player through him and his parent or guardian signing a WHL Scholarship & Development Agreement, provided he does not sign a professional hockey contract in the NHL. Players are allowed to play minor professional hockey (AHL, ECHL, etc.) before he must activate his scholarship, within 18 months of his junior eligibility ending"

Reactions: BadgerBruce

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013
They already do. Unless it's changed recently. I'm not sure exactly how it's worded but players who go pro, even if they're only playing in the ECHL or 2cnd tier Euro league for peanuts, forfeit their scholarship credits. I believe it used to be they had a 1 year grace period. Maybe somebody who knows the exact details (of how that worked) will post them.
Either way, putting it in writing that players who accept an NCAA scholarship forfeit their CHL scholarship is very very likely.
Nope — the scholarship eligibility remains intact unless the former CHL player signs an NHL deal. He has until age 23 to begin using the scholarship.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad