CHL can now play NCAA - change everything !

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Intersection of cba reserve list and ncaa restrictions on players with existing nhl contracts will impact that.
How, if the drafted players haven’t signed their elc’s? Guys are drafted at 18. They then continue in the CHL for their 19 year old season. When they turn 20, they go to a US college instead of signing their elc and ending up in the AHL. Play in college to develop physically and be nhl ready.
This new ruling will harm the tier two junior leagues and the minor pros. It will help the CHL and the ncaa.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
How, if the drafted players haven’t signed their elc’s? Guys are drafted at 18. They then continue in the CHL for their 19 year old season. When they turn 20, they go to a US college instead of signing their elc and ending up in the AHL. Play in college to develop physically and be nhl ready.
This new ruling will harm the tier two junior leagues and the minor pros. It will help the CHL and the ncaa.
Because they’d come off the reserve list and have to go into the draft at present.

Juniorhockeyguru

Nov 18, 2012
BCHL all flexing their muscles over getting those 5 Alberta teams last year. They are going to end up being feeders to the CHL, and they'll end up getting Div 3 players for the NCAA.

More 15-17 year olds that didn't want to lose their eligibility will come and play during those 16-18 years before they're off to the NCAA.

Junior A as is is cooked, and that goes for the BCHL.

Maybe the WHL can absorb the richer teams such as Brooks, Okotoks, Blackfalds, Spruce Grove and Sherwood Park.

Have a new Alberta Conference

Lethbridge
Calgary
Medicine Hat
Edmonton
Brooks
Sherwood Park
Blackfalds
Spruce Grove
Red Deer

Reactions: wetcoast

jtechkid

May 24, 2024
agree

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
Am i the only one who thinks that this is a nothingburger, unless the NCAA also allows players who have signed Pro contracts. Until that happens, then I don't see this changing the landscape of junior, college, or pro hockey much.
As @WarriorofTime has mentioned, and I mentioned it myself, that this potential ruling is only on players that have completed their CHL agreements, essentially 20+ players that have aged out of the CHL and unlikely to have secured a pro contract.

Players such as Braxton Whitehead would immediately benefit from such a decision. He's going to age out this year, American and wants to continue playing in the NCAA.

People are jumping to conclusions that suddenly the NCAA has free reign to recruit CHLers at any age, or suddenly kids are jumping out of their CHL agreements. We are very far from that.

jtechkid

May 24, 2024
As @WarriorofTime has mentioned, and I mentioned it myself, that this potential ruling is only on players that have completed their CHL agreements, essentially 20+ players that have aged out of the CHL and unlikely to have secured a pro contract.

Players such as Braxton Whitehead would immediately benefit from such a decision. He's going to age out this year, American and wants to continue playing in the NCAA.

People are jumping to conclusions that suddenly the NCAA has free reign to recruit CHLers at any age, or suddenly kids are jumping out of their CHL agreements. We are very far from that.
thx for info - yea i have no clue lol

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
It could indirectly benefit the CHL, while they will lose some players to the NCAA, it also means that they will get alot of those players who want to go to College play for them as 16 and 17 year olds

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
It could indirectly benefit the CHL, while they will lose some players to the NCAA, it also means that they will get alot of those players who want to go to College play for them as 16 and 17 year olds
I think that’s still a lot to assume. First of all, you have to assume that all those players prefer the CHL route, everything being equal. You then have to assume that they are all players that would even benefit from entering the NCAA at like 20 as opposed to 18 or 19. I think a lot of players who are remotely good enough to play regular games in any of these leagues are thinking they will be good enough for the NCAA at 18 or 19.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I think that’s still a lot to assume. First of all, you have to assume that all those players prefer the CHL route, everything being equal. You then have to assume that they are all players that would even benefit from entering the NCAA at like 20 as opposed to 18 or 19. I think a lot of players who are remotely good enough to play regular games in any of these leagues are thinking they will be good enough for the NCAA at 18 or 19.

Maybe i assumed wrong but I thought they would be able to play as 16 and 17 year olds in the CHL then got to college at 18

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
BCHL all flexing their muscles over getting those 5 Alberta teams last year. They are going to end up being feeders to the CHL, and they'll end up getting Div 3 players for the NCAA.

More 15-17 year olds that didn't want to lose their eligibility will come and play during those 16-18 years before they're off to the NCAA.

Junior A as is is cooked, and that goes for the BCHL.

Maybe the WHL can absorb the richer teams such as Brooks, Okotoks, Blackfalds, Spruce Grove and Sherwood Park.

Have a new Alberta Conference

Lethbridge
Calgary
Medicine Hat
Edmonton
Brooks
Sherwood Park
Blackfalds
Spruce Grove
Red Deer
I gave you a like but don't like this outcome as I like diversity of leagues and options.

I also don't know if Alberta could support 9 WHL teams really.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Maybe i assumed wrong but I thought they would be able to play as 16 and 17 year olds in the CHL then got to college at 18
Pretty sure at this point the change will only help the CHL guys not getting pro contracts that age out of the league and can go play NCAA at age 20 or 21.

What you are suggesting might happen, but likely years in the future.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Pretty sure at this point the change will only help the CHL guys not getting pro contracts that age out of the league and can go play NCAA at age 20 or 21.

What you are suggesting might happen, but likely years in the future.

First name that came in my head was Johnathon Toews. I am guessing if possible he would have played the WHL for a few years then go to college.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
We'll see if the CHL Standard Player Agreement gets reworked/ripped up and how many years they require guys to play there before they move on to pro or university. NHL will definitely have some influence and the CHL-NHL Agreement will look entirely different. We'll see how many CHLers move straight to pro or if a sizable number move to the NCAA in this new world.
This is going to be the central point. As of now I wouldn't expect much if anything to change for the bluechip guys that are going to the NTDP and even some of the top USHL prospects - they're already in the NCAA at 18 instead of playing 2-4 years in the CHL before being able to move to the NCAA level. Might have some agents advising that the CHL route is the better route for their development, but if the NCAA players still hold the UFA rights after graduating that would still be a big pro in that column.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad