Proposal: Chicago-Ottawa

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Chicago gets
Zack Smith

Ottawa gets
Artem Anisimov

Reason for Chicago
They pick up a similar but slightly less producing forward (however smith was on a less offensive team so it might even be closer), gain some cap flexibility (roughly 750k but it looks like chicago needs to add 2 forwards at least and only have a million in cap space), pick up a forward that is better suited for a bottom 6 role. Even if chicago is placing Crawford on the LTIR this allows chicago to spend move money over the offseason since from my understanding you can go 10% over the cap in the offseason (i think). This allows chicago to see if they can sign someone on the FA market instead of internally promoting.

Reason for Ottawa
Anisimov's bonus has been payed so we save money which we can use towards resigning white. Anisimov may have taken a step back but is more suited for a top 6 role. It allows ottawa to bring brown along slowly instead of rushing him in the league.

Thoughts?

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
I can't see why Ottawa would say no to this. Saves them money (this year and next) and they get a better player. Unless they don't want to lose out on Smith's leadership.

For Chicago, I guess it depends on how important saving that cap is to them.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
I can't see why Ottawa would say no to this. Saves them money (this year and next) and they get a better player. Unless they don't want to lose out on Smith's leadership.

For Chicago, I guess it depends on how important saving that cap is to them.

that and i was thinking from a chicago aspect a smith-shaw duo on your third line potentially makes more sense (and would be more annoying lol) then anisimov being there

would also allow chicago to take a chance on a pominville/brassard/johansson or maybe dzingel if crawford is a lock for the ltir

essentially it opens up more options for them to fill out the rest of the team then be restricted with their current cap position

chicago has improved their defensive depth and goaltending this offseason, add in better forward depth and they could make some real noise next year. smith isnt a game changer but neither is anisimov but smith might allow for the forward group to be more rounded out

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
Smith is too much of a downgrade just to save a million bucks IMO. Ottawa would need to add something decent to even this out.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
If Ottawa adds like a 4th round pick then I guess I'd do it.

haha you already know ottawa would be willing to do that save money smh

Smith is too much of a downgrade just to save a million bucks IMO. Ottawa would need to add something decent to even this out.

out of curiosity how so? this isnt to hype smith, he is an energy third liner who can chip in some points crash the net and occasionally stick up for a teammate.

I just figured with anisimov playing more of a perimeter game smith would fit better on the hawks on their third line and it would allow the hawks to add more scoring depth. In a way kind of like the subban deal but you are also getting a better fit

that way with the savings you can potentially take a swing at a forward that would produce around what anisimov or smith would on a 1 year show me deal that would fit better in the top 6

if im missing something or completely botched my evaluation of anisimovs game let me know

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
No thanks

How about instead something like

Jean-Gabriel Pageau for Anisimov + prospect like Fortin

JGP has expiring contract after this season which would be better fit for Hawks looking ahead to the Debrincat/Strome needing extensions

Reactions: Mrfenn92

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
@TheNewEra

Anisimov isn't a perimeter player. He makes his living in front and around the net. He's not as physical as smith at all.

This.

Anisimov cleans up on rebounds and tap-ins around the front of the net and provides screens for point shots.
He's not very quick, but he's a big body with good hands and has good hockey IQ.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I don't really see the incentive for Chicago to downgrade (the slight cap savings doesn't seem like enough of a reason for the swap).

Certainly wouldn't entertain anyone else from a Sens perspective, which kind of ends talks between the two sides, imo.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
No thanks

How about instead something like

Jean-Gabriel Pageau for Anisimov + prospect like Fortin

JGP has expiring contract after this season which would be better fit for Hawks looking ahead to the Debrincat/Strome needing extensions

Makes zero sense from an Ottawa perspective. They'll either re-sign JGP or they'll ship him off for picks/prospects.

Assuming one of Brown/Chlapik can step into the lineup in the next two years, having Anisimov on the roster could effectively be blocking their spot (unless Anisimov can shift to wing like Smith).

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Makes zero sense from an Ottawa perspective. They'll either re-sign JGP or they'll ship him off for picks/prospects.

Assuming one of Brown/Chlapik can step into the lineup in the next two years, having Anisimov on the roster could effectively be blocking their spot (unless Anisimov can shift to wing like Smith).
Anisimov is below average in the dot so playing him at wing isn't a huge issue. It's been done in Chicago.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Tierney for Anisimov + makes much more sense to me

Hawks save some real cap (over 1.5m) and get an upgrade/lateral move with different skillset. Sens get Anisimov's high cap/low salary combo and they can flip him next year

Added asset would have to be a 2nd or better tho

thesaadfather

Jan 30, 2014
Ohio
Tierney for Anisimov + makes much more sense to me

Hawks save some real cap (over 1.5m) and get an upgrade/lateral move with different skillset. Sens get Anisimov's high cap/low salary combo and they can flip him next year

Added asset would have to be a 2nd or better tho
If the Hawks are going to trade Anisimov for another center, it doesn’t make much sense for them to give up an asset of any significance. They’re probably going have Dach looking to step into that spot soon, and Shaw could take it if needed, so it doesn’t really make sense to spend anything of significance to upgrade a spot that is probably getting upgraded anyways.

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009
Chicago gets
Zack Smith

Ottawa gets
Artem Anisimov

Reason for Chicago
They pick up a similar but slightly less producing forward (however smith was on a less offensive team so it might even be closer), gain some cap flexibility (roughly 750k but it looks like chicago needs to add 2 forwards at least and only have a million in cap space), pick up a forward that is better suited for a bottom 6 role. Even if chicago is placing Crawford on the LTIR this allows chicago to spend move money over the offseason since from my understanding you can go 10% over the cap in the offseason (i think). This allows chicago to see if they can sign someone on the FA market instead of internally promoting.

Reason for Ottawa
Anisimov's bonus has been payed so we save money which we can use towards resigning white. Anisimov may have taken a step back but is more suited for a top 6 role. It allows ottawa to bring brown along slowly instead of rushing him in the league.

Thoughts?

Pfft...this trade would never happen.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Go buy lottery tickets!

Also, what am I getting for Christmas this year?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad