Value of: Chicago moving up from 18, into the top 10

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Kyle Davidson is going big game hunting at the draft.

He's primed himself to move into the top 10.

Most of the teams picking top 10 are rebuilders, and thus won't trade down.

So who am I looking at?

1. Ottawa. They have the 7th overall pick. There's no team that loves to rush their rebuild more than Ottawa. Dorion isn't around anymore to take advantage of though.
:sens

2. New Jersey. They have the 10th overall pick. This is a team that wants to get back to being in the playoffs. Goaltending is a big weakness. As it turns out, Chicago has a goalie coming off a really solid season.
:devils

In addition to the 18th overall pick, what assets does Chicago have available to trade?

All of their picks!
-34th overall
-50th overall
-67th overall
-72nd overall
-Toronto 2025 1st round pick
-plus more!

Players:
-Petr Mrazek (New Jersey, I know you want him. He had a .908 SV% behind a putrid lineup. Very impressive.)
-Lukas Reichel (I'm desperate to offload this bum)
-Andreas Athanasiou
-Ryan Donato
-Connor Murphy

As you can see, incredibly enticing stuff. And it can all be yours for a top 10 pick!

Last edited:

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

Most of the teams picking top 10 are rebuilders, and thus won't trade down.

So who am I looking at?

1. Ottawa. They have the 7th overall pick. There's no team that loves to rush their rebuild more than Ottawa. Dorion isn't around anymore to take advantage of though.
:sens

2. New Jersey. They have the 10th overall pick. This is a team that wants to get back to being in the playoffs. Goaltending is a big weakness. As it turns out, Chicago has a goalie coming off a really solid season.
:devils

In addition to the 18th overall pick, what assets does Chicago have available to trade?

All of their picks!
-34th overall
-50th overall
-67th overall
-72nd overall
-Toronto 2025 1st round pick
-plus more!

Players:
-Petr Mrazek (New Jersey, I know you want him. He had a .908 SV% behind a putrid lineup. Very impressive.)
-Lukas Reichel (I'm desperate to offload this bum)
-Andreas Athanasiou
-Ryan Donato
-Connor Murphy

As you can see, incredibly enticing stuff. And it can all be yours for a top 10 pick!

Hawks just extended Mrazek for two years

He is not being traded

Teams dont do that (Outside of Sens in past) to a player

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Don't see this being attainable. Hawks would have give up high-value picks/prospects to make this leap and that defeats the purpose.

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
Based on what exactly?

Again, based on what exactly?

Ottawa didn't rush much at all. Sending a high pick for a youngish star-player who very much fits to the age of the core and who they hoped would stay long-term is not rushing things. That the player didn't want to stay is another matter, but the idea in itself was perfectly valid for the state of the team. It's not like they traded picks for players who would be useless once their core would be ready to compete.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
Would Blackhawks do Pick 18 + Kurashev for Pick 10?

I could see the Devils trading back trying to split the pick into multiple assets.

I like Reichel as a prospect too, but think Kurashev versatility in playing all 3 forward position would fit nicely on Devils. As well as the the current team's Swiss connection.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018

I could see the Devils trading back trying to split the pick into multiple assets.

I like Reichel as a prospect too, but think Kurashev versatility in playing all 3 forward position would fit nicely on Devils. As well as the the current team's Swiss connection.
Yup

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side

In a nanosecond Kurashev isn't very good.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois

Sure

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Ya, none of this is even remotely interesting to a team picking inside the Top 10. Would be an easy no for all of those teams.
NHL is not NFL, where 2nd rounders have that much value given the timeline of their arrival in the NHL. 2nd rounders would typically spend 1-2 years in the A when they are eligible so arrive at 21-22 in the NHL. Unless your scouts feel confident about the players that are available at 18, hard to envision a drop of 8-11 spots in the draft for just picks.

Would need to involve a roster player, but there isn't much on the Hawks that would make sense that should fit what the 2 clubs would be looking for.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011

Really cool write up on the success rate of draft picks across various parameters. Well worth the read if any of you have 10 minutes

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018

Really cool write up on the success rate of draft picks across various parameters. Well worth the read if any of you have 10 minutes
Thanks for that link.

If i were to group the range of picks in terms of certainty, there is a significant drop off between picks 1-15 and 16-31. There is a 50% higher chance of success with picks 1-15 vs 16-31. There is also a noticeable drop off between picks 1-5 and 6-15 as you would expect.

With that data in mind, i can see why the Hawks want to break into the top-15 at a minimum.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Too far too jump 18, into the top 10, if they keep jumping 2-3 spots, might get there eventually.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad