Chiarelli hired by the Oilers

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
The clearly haven't seen the riveting piece of Bruins propaganda known as Behind the B.

Don't worry. It's only a matter of time before they see a similar discussion on Oil Change trying to justify why he traded Taylor Hall for 2 nickels and a penny. :laugh:

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
If I'm the Oilers I don't give up the pick this year. It's possible with the talent they have that the ship could turn around and that pick ends up later in the round. Either way with this being a deep draft I keep the pick to pick a player or use it to trade for needed pieces. I don't give it up as compensation for a new GM when I have two more drafts to gamble with.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
So? Are we getting a pick or not?

Not sure if there is a rush on this.

Wouldn't this be something for the new GM to negotiate/decide?

Would be bad for Neely to decide now, and then a new GM come in and say "I would have sought that pick" or "I would have sought X".

I would prefer rather than rushing this, that this become a potential "chip" in a more significant hockey trade in the offseason.

It's a nice bargaining chip that lays the foundation for a deal.

Send us Yak, Hall, or Eberle, Chiarelli. You owe us for the Seguin trade.

kman22

Apr 11, 2010
Haggerty's morning skate article this morning said it would like be Montreal's 2nd round pick from the Petry deal, if any pick.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
Haggerty's morning skate article this morning said it would like be Montreal's 2nd round pick from the Petry deal, if any pick.

While I think the rules are a bit silly, if the B's hire anyone not named Don Sweeney they'll likely be obligated to do likewise (albeit timing could dictate 3rd rd rather than 2nd).

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
While I think the rules are a bit silly, if the B's hire anyone not named Don Sweeney they'll likely be obligated to do likewise (albeit timing could dictate 3rd rd rather than 2nd).

if the Bruins do decide to hire outside the organization then all the more reason for them to seek compensation from the Oilers to offset whatever compensation they might have to give up.

although in that case Sweeney likely takes a job elsewhere and the Bruins come out ahead in the compensation pick shell game haha.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011

I could actually see them going with Sweeny as interim through the draft then hiring a new GM if they don't want Sweeny.

I think thebOilers were willing to burn a pick at some point because rumors seem to be that Toronto was also looking at Chiarelli.

I think it all depends on how much influence they want the new GM to have at the draft or how likely they think. Other teams are to snatch their main target first.

Speedo

Mar 14, 2005
Not sure if there is a rush on this.

Wouldn't this be something for the new GM to negotiate/decide?

Would be bad for Neely to decide now, and then a new GM come in and say "I would have sought that pick" or "I would have sought X".

I would prefer rather than rushing this, that this become a potential "chip" in a more significant hockey trade in the offseason.

It's a nice bargaining chip that lays the foundation for a deal.

Send us Yak, Hall, or Eberle, Chiarelli. You owe us for the Seguin trade.

Seriously? Chia may 'owe' you and all Bruin fans a lot of things but he sure as hell doesn't 'owe' y'all any assets from another organization, especially NHL players. League compensation guildlines may be ambiguous but they certainly do not dictate transferring (elite!?!?) players under contract even if you are quite irritated/frustrated/pissed off that your former GM supposedly bailed (after being fired!!!) to another team. If he was worthy of a player you mention he wouldn't have been fired!! He'd be a GM of the Bruins. And if I sound cranky it's because of a lot of the misinformed BS I've read on this thread about compensation as though Katz et al stole a Bruin employee from under your noses. He was tossed aside and the Oil hired him. Deal with it. It will probably be a 3rd rounder in the next 3 years at the Oilers discretion.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
Seriously? Chia may 'owe' you and all Bruin fans a lot of things but he sure as hell doesn't 'owe' y'all any assets from another organization, especially NHL players. League compensation guildlines may be ambiguous but they certainly do not dictate transferring (elite!?!?) players under contract even if you are quite irritated/frustrated/pissed off that your former GM supposedly bailed (after being fired!!!) to another team. If he was worthy of a player you mention he wouldn't have been fired!! He'd be a GM of the Bruins. And if I sound cranky it's because of a lot of the misinformed BS I've read on this thread about compensation as though Katz et al stole a Bruin employee from under your noses. He was tossed aside and the Oil hired him. Deal with it. It will probably be a 3rd rounder in the next 3 years at the Oilers discretion.

I was obviously joking about Chiarelli sending us players because he "owes" us.

Now, I know your organization's front office has, until recently, been the hockey equivalent of a slow burning dumpster fire, but if you're defensive about a little 2nd round pick for Chiarelli, how are you going to handle the situation when Chiarelli really does trade one of your "elite" core to improve the team? He may not send that player to us, but it's going to happen.

deal_with_it.gif

Last edited:

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

Awfully defensive, aren't we??? :laugh:

rcduthie77

Mar 31, 2007
Hamilton, Ontario

Sorry boss, Friedman and Cox have both reported that it can't be any lower or higher then a second.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

oh wait

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
I'm wicked confused.

IF the Bruins COULD ask for a 2nd-round pick as compensation, why on Earth would they not do so? :huh:

They can ask. But Oilers have multiples and can select which year in the next three years. So Im guessing theres some negotiating going on.

Also, if we hire Gorton the shoe will be on the other foot. Its like a chess game.

:laugh:

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I'd say Dan (DKH) has a leg up on you Dom. He called Chiarelli being canned when this squad was still fighting for its playoff lives. He's suggested Clode getting the axe and it certainly sounds like he is right on that count too.

You almost seem like you want to place heavy blame on Neely for the failings of this roster while Dan has pushed the Neely taking the reigns approach.

I'm of the belief that Neely will put his imprint on this team starting this offseason. I'm willing to gamble that it will be a hungry & entertaining roster....unlike the outgoing GM's leftovers.

Amidst recent reports, now is the perfect time to reply to this.

I never said Chiarelli would not be fired, I did say I don't believe he should be. And I have been saying since before Christmas that IF Chiarelli were to be fired, don't count out and watch out for John Ferguson Jr. And Dan will tell you I've been saying that because I knew who actually hired him. If Chiarelli were to be fired through the season, you could have bet your bottom dollar JFJ would have been interim GM, right Dan?

Have I been putting heavy blame on Neely? I don't know that I would call it heavy. More opening people's eyes that the buck didn't stop with Chiarelli.

How high do you want that blame to go? That's up to you. Dan will also tell you there were decisions made in the last two years that were above Chiarelli's pay scale. Right Dan?

As for leg up? I don't really care about recognition. Dan will also tell you that. Never have and never will. I have been wrong before and will be again. So has Dan. At least I don't go over to the Oilers board and say a signed Boychuk and Koko are about to be traded to Edmonton and leave someone else to take the heat and the fall for it. ;)

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
They can ask. But Oilers have multiples and can select which year in the next three years. So Im guessing theres some negotiating going on.

Also, if we hire Gorton the shoe will be on the other foot. Its like a chess game.

:laugh:

The year, yes the Oilers can choose. On the multiples, no, it has to be their own pick and not a pick they acquired from someone else. That's not negotiable (opinion of someone at the NHLPA)

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I'm wicked confused.

IF the Bruins COULD ask for a 2nd-round pick as compensation, why on Earth would they not do so? :huh:

It's also possible the Oilers are in negotiations with the Rangers.

Example:

They trade X to the Rangers for future considerations instead of the Rangers seeking compensation from the Bruins if they hired Gorton.

The Rangers tell the Bruins "we won't seek compensation for Gorton if you cease to ask compensation for Chiarelli."

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
The year, yes the Oilers can choose. On the multiples, no, it has to be their own pick and not a pick they acquired from someone else. That's not negotiable (opinion of someone at the NHLPA)

Sorry. By multiple I meant theirs, this year, next year, or 2017.

Should have been clearer.

DaBroons

Aug 2, 2005

That has to be correct, b/c otherwise a team could simply trade for the 30th pick in the 2nd round and hand that one to Boston instead of the 2nd pick in the 2nd round.

That's exactly how the rules are written for compensation for signing a player to an offer sheet.

Maybe the Bs are negotiating what that pick will be, but I can't see the rules being that vague.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
I should have known Wally. It's early.

I'm going with Edmonton negotiating with the Rangers on this one (if Gorton is hired)

I wouldnt be surprised either. Makes sense in a way as to why this is taking time.
I can see Slats freeing up Gorton since he and Harry are life long friends. But then again as we know, 'its a business'.

:)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad