Proposal: CHI-PIT

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Sure. Pens add Kapanen.
I'm sure the bucket of Kapanen's mullet he trimmed off could tip the scales as an add on.

Not that I'd make this move at all tbh.

Kubalik is older and less consistent than Kapanen. This doesn't help the Pens at all. Kapanen is a hard situation right now since he's seemingly lost all of his confidence it seems.

Kaners PPGs

Jun 2, 2012
Chicagoland (Tinley Park)
The irony in you saying that about Kapanen but not realizing both have had their luck dry out this season.

There is no irony in what I'm saying. I am fully aware of what type of season they are both having and there are definitely similarities. But if the Hawks trade Kubalik it should be for futures not a comparably-disappointing winger. I do think Kubalik has more upside than Kapanen. Kubalik has 30-goal upside and is a season removed from back-to-back 50+ point pace seasons. Kapanen hasn't been able to find a top 6 role on both Toronto and now seemingly Pittsburgh. If Kapanen's role becomes a 3rd line, energy, PK guy there is definitely value there but I like Kubalik's 30-goal upside more. Regardless, the Hawks need picks and prospects and that is who they should trade their moveable assets for NOT for a 25-year player they hope rebounds.

dj Mahoney

Apr 11, 2021
To PIT: Dominik Kubalik
To CHI: Kasperi Kapanen

Both are young forwards with upside with slumping seasons who could benefit with a change of scenery. Hextall and Burke mentioned that they would most likely only be able to do a player for player trade since they are up against the cap and do not want to give up futures.

Chicago fans, what do you think?
Kappy reminds me of a slighly better version of Jack Skille

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
There is no irony in what I'm saying. I am fully aware of what type of season they are both having and there are definitely similarities. But if the Hawks trade Kubalik it should be for futures not a comparably-disappointing winger. I do think Kubalik has more upside than Kapanen. Kubalik has 30-goal upside and is a season removed from back-to-back 50+ point pace seasons. Kapanen hasn't been able to find a top 6 role on both Toronto and now seemingly Pittsburgh. If Kapanen's role becomes a 3rd line, energy, PK guy there is definitely value there but I like Kubalik's 30-goal upside more. Regardless, the Hawks need picks and prospects and that is who they should trade their moveable assets for NOT for a 25-year player they hope rebounds.

So lets say we move Kapanen for Kubalik. We then get a slower (yeah Kapanen is faster) version of Kapanen that is a little more one dimensional and is also inconsistent and trending down while older? How does that work for making the Pens better exactly? Sullivan won't even give a solid prospect in the AHL a shot that should get one, let alone a player that is worse than Kapanen defensively that is good on the power play. The age is negligible for sure, so forget that part.

Kubalik could rebound elsewhere, but I wouldn't move Kapanen for him.

Also, the 30 goal thing...Since his 30 goal season.

He's been on pace for 24 goals (in 82 games if it wasn't shortened) to 15 goals (on pace) this season. Meanwhile, Kapanen, who also suffers from inconsistency, has been up and down. He put up 44pts, then was on pace for 40+ again, and last season was on pace to top his 44pt season. This year he's been a bit of a mess, but that can be said offensively for everyone save for Sid, Geno, Rust, and Guentzel.

This isn't some diss to Kubalik, it's a "diss" to the trade idea. Kubalik might get moved for his RFA reasons and Kapanen for his consistency issues, but to move them for each other is like swapping a broken left leg for a broken right leg.

Chicago could move him to someone else and get a prospect in return that needs a change of scenery (maybe Chytil for him?). Kapanen, I don't know, I like him, so I want to see him snap out of it, but if Sullivan can destroy Kapanen, he'd make Kubalik quit the NHL.

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
What kind of picks and prospects the Blackhawks are looking for if they trade Kubalik?

Kaners PPGs

Jun 2, 2012
Chicagoland (Tinley Park)
So lets say we move Kapanen for Kubalik. We then get a slower (yeah Kapanen is faster) version of Kapanen that is a little more one dimensional and is also inconsistent and trending down while older? How does that work for making the Pens better exactly? Sullivan won't even give a solid prospect in the AHL a shot that should get one, let alone a player that is worse than Kapanen defensively that is good on the power play. The age is negligible for sure, so forget that part.

Kubalik could rebound elsewhere, but I wouldn't move Kapanen for him.

Also, the 30 goal thing...Since his 30 goal season.

He's been on pace for 24 goals (in 82 games if it wasn't shortened) to 15 goals (on pace) this season. Meanwhile, Kapanen, who also suffers from inconsistency, has been up and down. He put up 44pts, then was on pace for 40+ again, and last season was on pace to top his 44pt season. This year he's been a bit of a mess, but that can be said offensively for everyone save for Sid, Geno, Rust, and Guentzel.

This isn't some diss to Kubalik, it's a "diss" to the trade idea. Kubalik might get moved for his RFA reasons and Kapanen for his consistency issues, but to move them for each other is like swapping a broken left leg for a broken right leg.

Chicago could move him to someone else and get a prospect in return that needs a change of scenery (maybe Chytil for him?). Kapanen, I don't know, I like him, so I want to see him snap out of it, but if Sullivan can destroy Kapanen, he'd make Kubalik quit the NHL.

LOL- I don't care what the Pens do nor am I going to spend any time analyzing whether Kubalik is the type of player they need. I didn't suggest the trade. All I was saying was from a Hawks perspective, that is a trade I would not make for the reasons I posted a couple times.

Last edited:

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Something around Nick Paul?

Kap- 25 yr old RFA
Paul- 26 yr old UFA

Would you prefer Paul, a 2nd, or Kubalik?

Just spit balling...
Chicago: TBL 2nd, Forsberg*
Pens: Kubalik
Ottawa: Kapanen

*so they can trade Fleury and still have a starter. Ottawa can run with Murray and GusGus

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
Would you prefer Paul, a 2nd, or Kubalik?

Just spit balling...
Chicago: TBL 2nd, Forsberg*
Pens: Kubalik
Ottawa: Kapanen

*so they can trade Fleury and still have a starter. Ottawa can run with Murray and GusGus

Me personally I'd go Paul for Kapanen. If Ottawa wants to add a mid tier pick to balance the FA status factor fine but I like the base of those two in a deal.

Kap is in the coaches dog house here and still on pace for 40 points. He could thrive elsewhere just not in Pitt.

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
Trading Kapanen for Kubalik feels like a robbing Peter to pay Paul situation.

Just doesn't make sense. Then you don't even factor in that Kubalik's QO is 4mil, while Kapenen's is 880K. Thus, imo, Kubalik is basically a UFA.

It's not a good deal.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Trading Kapanen for Kubalik feels like a robbing Peter to pay Paul situation.

Just doesn't make sense. Then you don't even factor in that Kubalik's QO is 4mil, while Kapenen's is 880K. Thus, imo, Kubalik is basically a UFA.

It's not a good deal.

Yeah but what's Kapanen going to be resigned for, realistically speaking? $3.5? Not that big of a difference really especially if you get the bump from Kubalik we would be hoping for.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Me personally I'd go Paul for Kapanen. If Ottawa wants to add a mid tier pick to balance the FA status factor fine but I like the base of those two in a deal.

Kap is in the coaches dog house here and still on pace for 40 points. He could thrive elsewhere just not in Pitt.

I like Paul, but I would do it.

Syrinx

Jul 7, 2005
Cary, NC

Both are young forwards with upside with slumping seasons who could benefit with a change of scenery. Hextall and Burke mentioned that they would most likely only be able to do a player for player trade since they are up against the cap and do not want to give up futures.

All of Kapanen's seasons are "slumping seasons".

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Kills me to give up on Kapanen, because his skill set, if he can put it together, fits our game to a T. It's been a real struggle though. This was sort of his reputation in TOR though too. Great tools, but doesn't work with top 6 players so ends up freelancing on the 3rd line.

OCPenguin

Jan 22, 2013

Pittsburgh would jump at the opportunity. Chicago won't touch this.

Reactions: Pertti

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad