Confirmed Trade: [CHI/COL] Brandon Saad and Dennis Gilbert for Nikita Zadorov and Anton Lindholm

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
I really feel like people rarely think of contract situations when evaluating trades. Saad's UFA after next season. Zadorov's RFA.

People saying Avs won this trade should realize that in a year they might have nothing to show for it.

Most Avs fans were anticipating that we would be losing Zadorov for picks as there didn't seem to be a role for him on the team. He was also pricing himself out of the position that he would fill in the roster (bottom pairing defender). So, for Avs fans having only one season of Saad is still better than a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

FreshFitted67

Jun 28, 2010
Tibet
www.kitchen.com
Also, a sneaky part of this deal is Dennis Gilbert, he might be an NHL/AHL tweener, but he throws a ton of hits, can fight really well (watch him win fights against landeskog and Simmonds) and according to some CHI accounts, plays a really steady defensive game... Personally I think that's a lot better than what Lindholm was bringing to the table.

Reactions: Richard88

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Doubt CHI has a budget. Among the youngest teams in the league, money saved allows them to extend and keep their youth long-term.

It's just weird to me how they're so eager to give up Maatta for free that they're willing to retain, now sort of same with Saad (IMO Zadorov is not that good that he's worth retaining for unless you really value that 1.8M saved) and they're willing to commit to a group of young goalies who have literally done nothing at the NHL level in a year where bunch of goalies were available.

Meanwhile there's hardly anything out there anymore that the Hawks would be clearing cap for. Bunch of 2nd line wingers that the Hawks don't need or #4-5 D's. Assuming they aren't in on the big fish of course.

Even with Seabrook and Shaw they have ~10M in cap space and only need to re-sign Strome, add a couple depth pieces and they have a full roster.

If they end up trading Strome for low return/low salary back then that's pretty telling what's going on in my opinion.

Emell

Oct 11, 2015
i see alot of posts saying ‘absolute robbery‘ but I see lots of ave fans saying they will miss Zad but I dont see many hawk fans saying they will miss saad, just saying..

For your reference, Avs fans will miss Zadorov because he's extremely entertaining when he makes the big hits and he has a good personality for a fan-player dynamic.

It is not because he was lighting it up in the roles he was given.

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
For your reference, Avs fans will miss Zadorov because he's extremely entertaining when he makes the big hits and he has a good personality for a fan-player dynamic.

It is not because he was lighting it up in the roles he was given.

This.

He was amazing at laying the big hit and was great with the fans, but unfortunately the other areas were seriously lacking (mostly due to mental lapses as he would show shines of having the skill set) and that’s what stood out for me.

It’s tough to see a guy who’s been through the thick of it with us ship out, but I think it had to happen. Happy with the return too.

Reactions: Richard88

saluki

Nov 18, 2017
The Knights beat up on the Hawks, and taunted them for good measure. It was frustrating to watch.

If this guy can provide some sort of pushback it'll be worth it imo. I'd love to seem him beat the crap out of some mouthy, annoying guys.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Saad is not the player he was 6 years ago or even 3 years ago. I thought Zadarov would bring back a better piece.

How good do you think Zadorov is?

He played 17:40 a game for the Avs this year. He was a bottom pair defenceman. I have no idea where Zadorov gets this reputation for being a good player. Maybe it’s because he’s a former 1st round pick? He has never been a consistent NHL defender. Saad is a consistent 20+ goal forward who can play well on both sides of the puck.

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco

He played 17:40 a game for the Avs this year. He was a bottom pair defenceman. I have no idea where Zadorov gets this reputation for being a good player. Maybe it’s because he’s a former 1st round pick? He has never been a consistent NHL defender. Saad is a consistent 20+ goal forward who can play well on both sides of the puck.

He’s no Cam Barker. That’s for sure.

JH21

Oct 20, 2019

Just because Z isn't on the Avs anymore doesn't mean you have to slam him on the way out. Saying he is no good is flat out wrong.

Zadorov, if he is on, changes a game and is one of the most feared players in the league. If given more minutes in Chicago and a bigger role he will be very good.

Throw the Calgary series on last year. He was dominant. Throw on game 5 vs Dallas this year. He was a force.

He needs to get more consistent but part of that was playing on eggshells because he would be benched for every little mistake by Bednar whereas veterans wouldn't for the same thing.

Unleash him and look out. He will be missed.

Colorado just couldn't pay him that much to be a bottom pair Dman and we would have had to expose him to Seattle and lose him for nothing. We traded from a position of strength to fill a need. It was a good trade for both teams.

Mac Attack

Beefy Legs
Aug 15, 2018
I can speak about Saad. He is not the Same player as he was the first time around. I liked Saad but just.. frustrating to watch as he was so inconsistent in the offensive zone. Yea he will put up 20 goals but outside of those goals the puck/play dies so often on his stick. Theres a reason he has so little assistS. Plus Saad has a horrible first touch. It always slowed down transitions and forechecks.

On the other hand there are definite dominant times with Saad and he has a nasty wrist shot too. He is a calm player and wont get panicky in the defensive zone.

also he will hit hundred posts.

i see alot of posts saying ‘absolute robbery‘ but I see lots of ave fans saying they will miss Zad but I dont see many hawk fans saying they will miss saad, just saying..
We will miss Zad for the entertainment value, not necessarily the contributions. Love seeing big hits. Having said that, I think this is a fairly even trade that should benefit both teams.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Just because Z isn't on the Avs anymore doesn't mean you have to slam him on the way out. Saying he is no good is flat out wrong.

Zadorov, if he is on, changes a game and is one of the most feared players in the league. If given more minutes in Chicago and a bigger role he will be very good.

Throw the Calgary series on last year. He was dominant. Throw on game 5 vs Dallas this year. He was a force.

He needs to get more consistent but part of that was playing on eggshells because he would be benched for every little mistake by Bednar whereas veterans wouldn't for the same thing.

Unleash him and look out. He will be missed.

Colorado just couldn't pay him that much to be a bottom pair Dman and we would have had to expose him to Seattle and lose him for nothing. We traded from a position of strength to fill a need. It was a good trade for both teams.

I’ve always felt this way about Zadorov, so it has nothing to do with ‘slamming him on the way out’.

He’s a bottom pair defenceman. That doesn’t mean he has no value. I would never call him a good player though. Way too inconsistent for that label.

There’s a small contingent of Avalanche fans who inflate Zadorov’s value because he’s such a likeable person. Great guy, but he is what he is.

Reactions: Gurglesons

JH21

Oct 20, 2019
I’ve always felt this way about Zadorov, so it has nothing to do with ‘slamming him on the way out’.

He’s a bottom pair defenceman. That doesn’t mean he has no value. I would never call him a good player though. Way too inconsistent for that label.

There’s a small contingent of Avalanche fans who inflate Zadorov’s value because he’s such a likeable person. Great guy, but he is what he is.

He is 25 man. He isn't even close to a finished product.

Name me a more physical force in the league. I will wait. When he is playing with confidence and put in a position to succeed he is a game changer. The opposition needs to know when he is on the ice or they will be leaving on a stretcher.

Every single time he was asked to play top 4 minutes taking over for Erik Johnson on his yearly IR trip he was dominant.

Most coaches trust veteran players but having Erik Johnson and Ian Cole see bigger roles than Zadorov is laughable.

You're flat out wrong saying Zadorov isn't a good player.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
He is 25 man. He isn't even close to a finished product.

Name me a more physical force in the league. I will wait. When he is playing with confidence and put in a position to succeed he is a game changer. The opposition needs to know when he is on the ice or they will be leaving on a stretcher.

Every single time he was asked to play top 4 minutes taking over for Erik Johnson on his yearly IR trip he was dominant.

Most coaches trust veteran players but having Erik Johnson and Ian Cole see bigger roles than Zadorov is laughable.

You're flat out wrong saying Zadorov isn't a good player.
The bolded just isn't true.

Also, the "he is 25 man" needs to stop. We've been talking about his age since he entered the league thinking he's going to get better as he gets older. He hasn't.

At this point in his career, he is what he is. A sometimes hard hitting, extremely inconsistent 3rd pairing defensemen who has the odd dominant game from time to time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad