Confirmed Signing with Link: [CHI] D Alex Vlasic signs extension with the Blackhawks (6 years, $4.6M AAV)

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Zaitsev will probably go back to Russia this summer. Tinordi will probably get another deal but will likely be waiver fodder. Murphy will definitely have another NHL contract. Megan will get another cheap deal, I would not be surprised if he ends up on Pittsburgh to pair up with Karlsson again
Zaitsev - can probably get a league min deal if he wants it as a 7th DMan but agreed more likely to go back to KHL at this stage

Murphy - signed for two more years so a bit academic now. Was hurt half the year.

Tinordi/Megna - they’ll probably keep hanging around a bit longer but both were originally waiver pickups and haven’t done anything beyond that so I expect both to sign somewhere/get waived again but they may see more nhl action.

Korchinski - would have gone back to juniors last season on about 30 teams.

Kaiser - prospect and first year pro more suited for AHl. Struggled at start of season, found some confidence and did a lot better when called up late.

Phillips/Crevier - AHL guys at end of waiver-exempt, struggled a lot as bottom pair callups, may have been ok and able to survive more on a less terrible team and with a quality veteran D Partner

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
He could be the best player in the NHL this season (he wasn't) and I still absolutely hate these premature contracts. It's one season, minimal risk that Vlasic explodes into a 80 point d-man next season. There's nothing wrong with a bridge deal every once in a while.
He doesn’t even need to score 40 points for this deal to be worth it. (It’s already worth it)

Vukotal Recall

Jan 30, 2010
What has two thumbs and only learned from this thread there's a different Vlasic in the league and he is considered to be one of the best young defensemen in the game

• Haha
Reactions: EddieTheEagle

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
It’s not all about points.
Like it or not, contract value is largely driven by points. I really don't see why there was any risk with a bridge deal in this case. But hey, people hyped up the Samuelsson contract in the same way and there was no room for criticism that time either. Not every young player needs to be locked up long term at the earliest opportunity.

Reactions: Regal

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
anyone think players these days get paid tons of money only because of advanced stats?
since advanced stats became popular, NHL salaries has gone out of hands

anyone, any level player can get contracts worth 20-40 million dollars these days
sure, Vlasic is good young d-man, more what some advanced stats say but still..
almost 30 million dollar contract after his rookie season... that is not right, he is not worth that much

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
anyone think players these days get paid tons of money only because of advanced stats?

anyone, any level player can get contracts worth 20-40 million dollars these days
almost 30 million dollar contract after his rookie season... that is not right, he is not worth that much
It’s a hard cap league. The overall amount of money spent is gonna trend towards the cap. So the idea that salaries are out of control is kinda bullshit from the jump.

The only difference is now in pay scale is money is being shifted down from going more towards older UFA players to younger guys. Given that younger players historically provide more on ice value, and a smaller subset of the player base even makes it to a later career contract, I would say it’s actually better for the health of the league for contracts like this to exist.

Even for the teams signing them, they’re straight up a better risk than signing some 32 year old. There’s actual possible upside.

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
Reminds me of the Brett Pesce deal in 2017.
6 year, $24,150,000 contract, cap hit of $4,025,000.

That contract aged pretty well
Pesce deal was actually 2018 and he had well over 200 NHL games under his belt. Vlasic has less than 100 games and almost none of consequence. Small sample size so what was the rush?

I like Vlasic and he performed well on a team that is not particularly good. I just don't see a body of work to this point that makes this necessary at this juncture. A misstep or two can eat up some valuable cap space down the road. There is a need to be judicious and a bridge deal would have sufficed.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO

Well. You could pay them solely on un-advanced stats I guess….

How do you measure a defenseman? He played over 21 minutes a night on one of the worst rosters in the league with one of the worst goal differentials in the league and yet the defensive soundness and ability to limit high danger chances was outrageously better when he was out there.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Pesce deal was actually 2018 and he had well over 200 NHL games under his belt. Vlasic has less than 100 games and almost none of consequence. Small sample size so what was the rush?

I like Vlasic and he performed well on a team that is not particularly good. I just don't see a body of work to this point that makes this necessary at this juncture. A misstep or two can eat up some valuable cap space down the road. There is a need to be judicious and a bridge deal would have sufficed.
Personally, these medium term deals that buy 2 years of UFA, not the biggest fan of for a team. Figure the target should either be max term or bridge. Reason is age. He would be 29 entering free agency in 2030. So, 7-8 year term at that point would take him to between 36-37.
Bridge of 2-3 would take him to 25 or 26. Then max term him them is to 33/34 or younger if not full max. Or max now takes him to 31. So, you're pushing your bet in on him.
But, no different than with Power, Sanderson, that's a big bet with under 100 nhl games under his belt, though unlike the other 2 he does have AHL time under his belt.

But, this is what they settled on.

Reactions: Regal

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
Personally, these medium term deals that buy 2 years of UFA, not the biggest fan of for a team. Figure the target should either be max term or bridge. Reason is age. He would be 29 entering free agency in 2030. So, 7-8 year term at that point would take him to between 36-37.
Bridge of 2-3 would take him to 25 or 26. Then max term him them is to 33/34 or younger if not full max. Or max now takes him to 31. So, you're pushing your bet in on him.
But, no different than with Power, Sanderson, that's a big bet with under 100 nhl games under his belt, though unlike the other 2 he does have AHL time under his belt.

But, this is what they settled on.
Agree on this. I am hopeful they are building a good core with the picks and will manage the contracts well. Also hoping they have a little lottery ball luck.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Agree on this. I am hopeful they are building a good core with the picks and will manage the contracts well. Also hoping they have a little lottery ball luck.
Each player is going to age differently, but for someone turning 36 in 2024, would mean they were drafted 18 years ago, which is 2006. That's Kessel, Toews, Erik Johnson, Backstrom, Giroux draft class. So, how many from that class still going strong this season?
But, it takes 2 sides to agree on term.... For a player POV, giving up a year or 2 of UFA on the second contract makes sense as you can then push to get those extra couple of years added onto your 3rd contract to get to 36/37.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
He was very good this year and definitely worth the money and more if he stays the same or improves. I’ve never been a fan of paying defensemen after a small sample size though unless they are Makar/Fox/Hughes types who you know will be elite. As much as we talk about goalies being voodoo, I think defensemen can fluctuate quite a bit too.

I probably would have bridged him because even if he proves himself for a couple more years, I doubt his offense would get him a deal high enough where you’re paying far more than this. The timeline for the deal also sets him up where you have to make a decision on him in his late 20s which can be a problem and ended up being a mistake with the other Vlasic. At the same time, Chicago is in the position where they don’t care about cap now and want to be competitive in a few years where a couple million might matter. So I understand wanting to get ahead with these contracts.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
He was very good this year and definitely worth the money and more if he stays the same or improves. I’ve never been a fan of paying defensemen after a small sample size though unless they are Makar/Fox/Hughes types who you know will be elite. As much as we talk about goalies being voodoo, I think defensemen can fluctuate quite a bit too. I probably would have bridged him because even if he proves himself for a couple more years, I doubt his offense would get him a deal high enough where you’re paying far more than this. At the same time, Chicago is in the position where they don’t care about cap now and want to be competitive in a few years where a couple million might matter. So I understand wanting to get ahead with these contracts.
You probably missed the Power/Sanderson signings this off-season then. Not in the same league as the trio you listed, but these 2 only got in the 22/23 season plus the tail end of 21/22 after their college season.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
You probably missed the Power/Sanderson signings this off-season then. Not in the same league as the trio you listed, but these 2 only got in the 22/23 season plus the tail end of 21/22 after their college season.

No I didn’t miss them. I had the same reservations about them.

This is what I said in the Sanderson thread:

IMG_6850.jpeg

I can’t remember if I said anything on Power but I did on Samuelsson, though I can’t find it in search.

I know it seems typical practice these days so obviously most front offices disagree, but I’m just not the biggest fan of doing it for most defensemen, and particularly for defensive defensemen because their contract value is usually deflated anyway. I’d be more inclined to go this route with forwards as a breakout can put them in a significantly higher range. It is what it is. If you’re going to go this route, I think this is a fine deal.

Last edited:

poobags

8) 8) 8( 8)
Jan 27, 2013
Washington

Signed in 2017 like I said and I only said it reminds of the Pesce contract (the numbers). I learned who Alex Vlasic was from this post so I wouldn't presume to comment on the player.

1714197457734.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad