Chevy...Please sign Wheeler to Extension before Camp!

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
I don't care what he did in the last decade. I care about what he will do in the next (half) decade.

I am willing to bet that Wheeler will continue to play like an elite 1st line forward, at the very least, until 2022. If we sign Wheeler for 5 years at $7.5 million, he will play for the Jets until age 37. It's not only that. It's the message that the Jets will send to other players. Signing Buff and Wheeler will mean that a team is willing to reward it's veterans, and make them leaders on and off the ice. Players like Laine, Connor, Ehlers, and Roslovic will likely look higher on the organization if they know that the Jets will give them every chance to finish their careers here, rather than cast them away once they hit their early 30s. Besides, I honestly think Wheeler will be a 1st line forward, and at worst a second line forward, for his remaining tenure as a Jet.

Check out Wheeler's stats charge as relative to his age:

Blake Wheeler - QuantHockey

Perreault is not a 'young gun'. He would be the first to go if we keep Wheeler.

I never said Perreault was a young gun. He is 30.

Losing Ehlers to keep Wheeler would be nuts.

I was using Ehlers as an example. Do you honestly think we are going to keep all of our most valuable players with top 6 potential? It's impossible. Look at the Chicago Blackhawks after the 2009-10 season. They had to trade away Byfuglien (25) and Ladd (24), in a salary dump. What makes you think the Jets will not dump Ehlers (23 in 2019) to be within the salary cap? It could just as well be Connor or Roslovic (assuming he has a breakout season). Laine and Scheifele are the only Jets forwards that would be seen as "untouchable."

If Trouba is moved after this season there is probably room for a few years of Wheeler.

I would like to be that optimistic, but I think we will have to sacrifice Trouba and a young forward, as the return for Perreault or Little would be disappointing. The Jets have one of the strongest scouting systems. I have faith in them replacing some of our higher paid talent. We are modeled after Chicago. It should take us a couple of years to recover from any kind of salary dump, and stay competitive.

Last edited:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I don't care what he did in the last decade. I care about what he will do in the next (half) decade.

Perreault is not a 'young gun'. He would be the first to go if we keep Wheeler.

Losing Ehlers to keep Wheeler would be nuts.

If Trouba is moved after this season there is probably room for a few years of Wheeler.
As big a fan of Wheeler as I am I still agree with this. The Jets have built such a deep young core, IMO capable of winning multiple cups. In no way do you start letting these players slip away going long term to a player entering his mid 30's as his next contract is just starting. Maybe he is the 1/100 player that is worth big money in his late 30's but we can't depend on that. If Wheeler takes the Joe Thornton approach of signing successive short term market value contracts during the later part of his career, you pay him as long as he provides value. Go 3 X 8 and pay for it by bridging Connor. After that you offer him a contract that fits in within the cap corresponding to his value at that time. If Wheeler wants a little more term 4 X 7.5 but the risk starts growing.

The Big M

Dec 29, 2017
Yes I agree. Sign Wheeler. But not at the expense of Ehlers. Let's keep our stars. Find someone else to let go.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
As big a fan of Wheeler as I am I still agree with this. The Jets have built such a deep young core, IMO capable of winning multiple cups. In no way do you start letting these players slip away going long term to a player entering his mid 30's as his next contract is just starting.

Wheeler will be 32, when his contract is up. That's not mid-30s.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
He will be 33 when his next contract starts. That is pretty much nosing your mid 30's.

You are insinuating that Wheeler will recede shortly, due to his age. That is not PC!

hqdefault.jpg

I'm going to have to send a certain visitor to your area to warn you about microaggressions.

JetBrett

May 18, 2018
Losing Wheeler after this season would be a massive blow, even if I can understand the cap reasons for doing so. If the Jets somehow have a crappy season it's easier but if they're as good as they should be people won't react well. Losing the point producing captain and leader of the team can't easily be replaced from within.

The only way I think it's considered is if guys like Connor or Roslovic make big leaps as consistent offensive threats. And that's assuming continued improvement from the likes of Ehlers and Laine.

Chevy would probably prefer to dump some salary like Perreault or Little to sign Wheeler if he can.

Reactions: The Big M

The Big M

Dec 29, 2017
And Wheeler is not a star? Elite top 10 wingers in the NHL don't just fall off trees.
Yes that's why I started this thread. Wheeler is elite. Let's keep him if at all possible.
What I disagree with is the suggestion that we have to get rid of Ehlers to keep Wheeler. Ehlers will be elite too.
If we start to get rid of our star players....
There must be a way.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Yes that's why I started this thread. Wheeler is elite. Let's keep him if at all possible.
What I disagree with is the suggestion that we have to get rid of Ehlers to keep Wheeler. Ehlers will be elite too.
If we start to get rid of our star players....
There must be a way.
My starting point is the young core is our 1st priority. Scheifele, Lowry, Trouba, Morrissey, Ehlers, Connor, Laine and Helly. I'm also inclined to add Rosie to that list since I'm so high on him. You do everything possible to keep this group together, because if managed well we can contend for the next decade with this group. It already looks like we will eventually lose Trouba, so I'm hopeful we can get a real good D prospect back that can join the young core. But IMO we can not afford to lose another member of this young core. Buff, Little and Wheeler are all real valuable players now and are needed for our current window, but age and drop off is a big unknown and for some players can happen in a blink of an eye. I'm very hopeful Wheeler appreciates this and takes his big pay check now, but is willing to limit it to a reasonable time frame (3 or 4 years). It will likely force us to move lesser pieces and bridge Connor and Rosie but these are things a cap team needs to do.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
But IMO we can not afford to lose another member of this young core.

Aside from Evander Kane (who pretty much demanded out), who have we ever lost that would be considered our "young core?"

This is what I mean when people post things like "we cannot lose any of our young core." You just do not understand circumventing the salary cap. Chevy has more-or-less modeled this club after the Blackhawks from 2006-10. If a big market like Chicago (who happens to spend to the cap), has to relinquish two of their most promising young players, do you actually believe a small market like Winnipeg, can keep all of your players under 25 under contract?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
People take for granted that Wheeler will continue to be an impact player. The decline can be quite quick and steep, look no further than the Zetterberg situation playing out in Detroit right now. The guy is a fitness freak much like Wheeler who was a pretty darn great player through his early to mid 30's but dropped off last year at age 36 and now at age 37 might not be physically able to play anymore. It just flat out isn't predictable who will and who wont be able to play at a high level late into their 30's. There is no reason to take that kind of risk, offer him your best 3 or 4 year deal and if he doesn't take it move on. That term takes him to 37 where most players either are forced out of the league, retire or are a shell of their former selves.

Also Wheeler was 4th or 5th among forwards in GAR last year so he wasn't near as impact as the points say he was. He actually is already declining but is propped up due to playing with elite talent and a franchise C who drives play on his line. Its only a matter of time before the kids all consistently start to outperform him and demand his minutes.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
I was already counting Trouba.

In eight seasons, we will lose two players of our young core. That includes Scheifele, Lowry, Hellebuyck, Trouba, Kane, Morrissey, Ehlers, Connor, Roslovic, Laine, Niku, and Vesalainen. Every championship team has the right chemistry when it comes to veterans and young players. Winnipeg is no different.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
People take for granted that Wheeler will continue to be an impact player. The decline can be quite quick and steep, look no further than the Zetterberg situation playing out in Detroit right now. The guy is a fitness freak much like Wheeler who was a pretty darn great player through his early to mid 30's but dropped off last year at age 36 and now at age 37 might not be physically able to play anymore.

If we sign Wheeler to a 5 year deal, he will be 37 at the end of his contract.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
People take for granted that Wheeler will continue to be an impact player. The decline can be quite quick and steep, look no further than the Zetterberg situation playing out in Detroit right now. The guy is a fitness freak much like Wheeler who was a pretty darn great player through his early to mid 30's but dropped off last year at age 36 and now at age 37 might not be physically able to play anymore. It just flat out isn't predictable who will and who wont be able to play at a high level late into their 30's. There is no reason to take that kind of risk, offer him your best 3 or 4 year deal and if he doesn't take it move on. That term takes him to 37 where most players either are forced out of the league, retire or are a shell of their former selves.

Also Wheeler was 4th or 5th among forwards in GAR last year so he wasn't near as impact as the points say he was. He actually is already declining but is propped up due to playing with elite talent and a franchise C who drives play on his line. Its only a matter of time before the kids all consistently start to outperform him and demand his minutes.
I quick decline is also my worry. We saw it happen to Ladd and were able to dodge that bullet. I also think people forget that Wheeler already got is big career contract. At age 27 he signed for 8.71% of the cap for 6 years. Today's equivalent is a shade under $7M (6.924). At this point he is in gravy time due already unusual longevity. Another 3-4 years at 9-10% of the cap is a real nice career.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
In eight seasons, we will lose two players of our young core. That includes Scheifele, Lowry, Hellebuyck, Trouba, Kane, Morrissey, Ehlers, Connor, Roslovic, Laine, Niku, and Vesalainen. Every championship team has the right chemistry when it comes to veterans and young players. Winnipeg is no different.
Teams don't usually choose to lose young core pieces just starting their primes over vets moving into their mid 30's.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
I quick decline is also my worry. We saw it happen to Ladd and were able to dodge that bullet.

Ladd is the exception, and not necessarily the rule. For every Ladd or Richards, there are tons of Selanne's, Jagr's, St.Louis, Chara, etc. Just look no further to Bobby Hull, the man who made the Jets and the WHA a legitimate rival league. He was 35 when he scored 77 goals.

Reactions: GNP

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Ladd is the exception, and not necessarily the rule. For every Ladd or Richards, there are tons of Selanne's, Jagr's, St.Louis, Chara, etc. Just look no further to Bobby Hull, the man who made the Jets and the WHA a legitimate rival league. He was 35 when he scored 77 goals.
I think you are listing the exceptions that prove the rule.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
I think you are listing the exceptions that prove the rule.

No sorry, you seem to be confusing average players, who tend to fizzle out and retire when pushing 30, as opposed to elite players like Wheeler. I am honestly shocked at the lack of respect people in this city give to Wheeler. He has been arguably our best player since day 1, and has only been eclipsed in scoring by four players in the entire NHL the last three seasons. Yet some posters think he is "old" and should be shipped off so our "young core" can succeed. Good luck on that..

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
No sorry, you seem to be confusing average players, who tend to fizzle out and retire when pushing 30, as opposed to elite players like Wheeler. I am honestly shocked at the lack of respect people in this city give to Wheeler. He has been arguably our best player since day 1, and has only been eclipsed in scoring by four players in the entire NHL the last three seasons. Yet some posters think he is "old" and should be shipped off so our "young core" can succeed. Good luck on that..
No people are saying he is entering his mid 30's and accordingly should be signed a shorter term to reflect where he is at in his career. I'm fine paying him big money over a shorter term as you can navigate around that with bridge deals to your young star players. I'm a big Wheeler fan and love him with Scheifele but we need Chevy to make decisions in our long term interests.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

AWSAA

Sep 8, 2003
Blake Wheeler barely managed to score 20 goals last season, only scored in 2/17 playoff games. Why are you comparing him to HOFers? He's not going to make it.

Laine, Connor, and Ehlers are all capable of PPG+ play on the top line moving forward. What are Blake's numbers going to look like once he's bumped off?

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Wheeler barely managed to score 20 goals last season, only scored in 2/17 playoff games. He's not HOF elite.
Yeah assists don't mean anything. It does not matter that Wheeler has led the Jets in points most of the past 7 seasons (and in the 2018 playoffs). Gretzky may as well return all his Art Ross trophies back, and resign from the Hall of Fame.

Reactions: JetBrett

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
No people are saying he is entering his mid 30's and accordingly should be signed a shorter term to reflect where he is at in his career. I'm fine paying him big money over a shorter term as you can navigate around that with bridge deals to your young star players. I'm a big Wheeler fan and love him with Scheifele but we need Chevy to make decisions in our long term interests.

Anything other than offering Wheeler a 5-6 year contract will make Winnipeg look cheap and hurt the organization. While other organizations think nothing of signing players until they hit 40, it will send a clear and precise message to players in their 20s:

" When you hit 30, we don't want you playing here anymore." Do you value job security where you work? Hockey players are no different.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad