Prospect Info: Charlie Stramel, C, 21st Overall, 2023 NHL Draft

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I went to the University of Minnesota and eventually got kicked out. So I find myself wondering, in your eyes, does that make me the lowest of degenerates, or is that actually a redeeming quality?
:popcorn:

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Selfishly I want him in Dinkytown. But that could prove a tough lineup to crack with Moore & Huglen as solid returning Cs. Gophers could use another massive RHC as a replacement for Nelson

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I don't see Stramel as a greatly desired add for the Gophers, myself. Selfishly, it would be nice to have him close by so we can watch his progress, i guess?

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I don't see Stramel as a greatly desired add for the Gophers, myself. Selfishly, it would be nice to have him close by so we can watch his progress, i guess?

Agreed. I don't see room for him in the top 6 of the Gophers. Motzko is trying to win a national championship, not do the Wild a solid.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
It’s the going to one school and then going to the rival school that would annoy me. I’m sure you had no other options, so I’ll forgive you ;)
Funny you say that. For the major, it was literally the only option in the state. Or in the surrounding states for that matter (except Iowa State, but I'm not going there!).

Reactions: Digitalbooya

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
Selfishly I want him in Dinkytown. But that could prove a tough lineup to crack with Moore & Huglen as solid returning Cs. Gophers could use another massive RHC as a replacement for Nelson
Wild still have hopes this guy plays C in the NHL? At this point I'd just be hoping to get a middle 6 winger out of the deal...

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Wild still have hopes this guy plays C in the NHL? At this point I'd just be hoping to get a middle 6 winger out of the deal...
He’s supposed to be good on the dot or at least that was the word around when we picked him. Hopefully wherever he lands will be a fresh start and he can find his game again.

He’ll still be just a sophomore in age this coming season. It’s easy to forget he was an underage freshman last year.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Last year he was relegated to 4th line duty and essentially no power play time for Wisconsin under first year coach Mike Hastings. Minimal offensive opportunities and injuries played a role in how his season went. As a result, his production suffered and he put up a horrendous 8 points (3 goals 5 assists) in 34 games.

If Stramel gets top 6 minutes and power play time at Michigan State under a coach who has coached him before, what should expectations be set for his production?

Over/under set at 19.5? Can we add a poll to this thread so people can predict his production?

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Last year he was relegated to 4th line duty and essentially no power play time for Wisconsin under first year coach Mike Hastings. Minimal offensive opportunities and injuries played a role in how his season went. As a result, his production suffered and he put up a horrendous 8 points (3 goals 5 assists) in 34 games.

If Stramel gets top 6 minutes and power play time at Michigan State under a coach who has coached him before, what should expectations be set for his production?

Over/under set at 19.5? Can we add a poll to this thread so people can predict his production?

As a third year player taken at 21 overall, if he's getting top six minutes (and presumably PP time), anything under 27 is a major disappointment, assuming 36-38 games.

Red Savage was a fourth round pick in 2021, last year was his third NCAA season, he scored 27 points in 38 games with MSU. If Stramel can't do at least that, he's not worth talking about anymore.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
As a third year player taken at 21 overall, if he's getting top six minutes (and presumably PP time), anything under 27 is a major disappointment, assuming 36-38 games.

Red Savage was a fourth round pick in 2021, last year was his third NCAA season, he scored 27 points in 38 games with MSU. If Stramel can't do at least that, he's not worth talking about anymore.
Depends for me. Assuming top 6 minutes, I’m interested in how he would be deployed; center or wing; 1st or 2nd line; 1st or 2nd PP unit; penalty kill?

If he shows that he is a reliable defensive center that plays penalty kill, is out there when the game is on the line, and has, say, 20 points (2nd PP unit) on a good team? The Eriksson Ek mold. That is something I can get behind.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Depends for me. Assuming top 6 minutes, I’m interested in how he would be deployed; center or wing; 1st or 2nd line; 1st or 2nd PP unit; penalty kill?

If he shows that he is a reliable defensive center that plays penalty kill, is out there when the game is on the line, and has, say, 20 points (2nd PP unit) on a good team? The Eriksson Ek mold. That is something I can get behind.

20 points would have been the 9th highest among forwards on MSU's roster last year. There are undrafted players in the NCAA that can put up more than 20 points in their third season with top six minutes. Being a reliable defensive player, putting up 20 points, playing on the 2nd PP unit, playing the PK, those aren't impressive feats for a third year NCAA player drafted in the first round, that's the bare minimum. The bare minimum should actually be higher.

More examples, Jack McBain was a third rounder. By his third NCAA season, he was a defensively reliable top six center. He was tied for third on his team in scoring with 19 points in just 24 games (that would be equivalent to Stramel scoring 29 points in 36 games). He's now a pretty average 4th line center in the NHL. Stramel should be able to do that.

Last edited:

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
20 points would have been the 9th highest among forwards on MSU's roster last year. There are undrafted players in the NCAA that can put up more than 20 points in their third season with top six minutes. Being a reliable defensive player, putting up 20 points, playing on the 2nd PP unit, playing the PK, those aren't impressive feats for a third year NCAA player drafted in the first round, that's the bare minimum. The bare minimum should actually be higher.

More examples, Jack McBain was a third rounder. By his third NCAA season, he was a defensively reliable top six center. He was tied for third on his team in scoring with 19 points in just 24 games (that would be equivalent to Stramel scoring 29 points in 36 games). He's now a pretty average 4th line center in the NHL. Stramel should be able to do that.
Too much focus put on draft position. I’m trying to be realistic on where he is at in his development curve. Not trying to say he should be xyz by year abc because he was a 1st round pick.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Too much focus put on draft position. I’m trying to be realistic on where he is at in his development curve. Not trying to say he should be xyz by year abc because he was a 1st round pick.

Well I'm certainly not going to lower the standards just because he can't meet them, but even if you did ignore his draft position, a third year NCAA player with NHL aspirations (and I'm talking fourth line here) should be able to score 27+ points playing top six minutes.

Obviously the elephant in the room here is, will he even deserve those top six minutes? He hasn't so far. But if he shows that he does deserve them? 27+ points is part of that.

Maybe you're satisfied with him scoring 20 points in his third full season playing top six minutes, I won't take that away from you, but if that's all he can muster, he's dropping even further down my list than he already has. That's not good enough.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

But I mean if you want to talk about ignoring draft position, I already was. Typically a player drafted around the mid to late 1st round wouldn't even be going back for his third NCAA season.

Kyle Connor, 17th overall, never played a second season in NCAA

Alex Tuch, 18th overall, 34 points in 40 games in his second NCAA season
Nick Schmaltz, 20th overall, 46 points in 37 games in his second NCAA season
Brock Boeser, 23rd overall, 34 points in 32 games in his second NCAA season
Colin White, 21st overall, 33 points in 35 games in his second NCAA season
Tage Thompson, 26th overall, 32 points in 34 games in his second NCAA season
Luke Kunin, 15th overall, 38 points in 35 games in his second NCAA season
Josh Norris, 19th overall, 19 points in 17 games in his second NCAA season
Brendan Brisson, 29th overall, 42 points in 38 games in his second NCAA season
Mackie Samoskevich, 24th overall, 43 points in 39 games in his second NCAA season

Riley Tufte, 25th overall, 19 points in 42 games in his third NCAA season, is not an NHL level player
Ryan Poehling, 25th overall, 31 points in 36 games in his third NCAA season, bottom six NHL player

Stramel is already way behind the 8-ball when it comes to players taken around where he was taken, we can kiss those comps goodbye. The least he can do if he's going back for a third NHL season is keep pace with guys like McBain and Savage who are at the 0.75+ p/gp mark. Again I reiterate, if he can't manage that in his third NCAA season, he's not worth talking about. If he scores 15-20 points, with top six and PP opportunities, you wonder if he's even going to be a good AHL player.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I was going to say Trent Frederic(29th 0a) as a possible comparison. Tough, good size, bottom sixer. Had average looking production is USDP, but was P/pg in his two college years... Stramel is obviously way behind that, though he Frederic didn't play in college until his D+1 year.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
This was supposed to be about evaluating where Stramel is as a player and then projecting that into a more prominent role. It's turned into a charade about draft position, so I'll just see myself out.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
This was supposed to be about evaluating where Stramel is as a player and then projecting that into a more prominent role. It's turned into a charade about draft position, so I'll just see myself out.

Okay lol

Where Stramel is as a player right now, the learning curve, the projection, whatever you want to call it, is that of an AHL player.

20 points in his third year with top six minutes and PP time wouldn't change that, because if you look at other players who have gone on to play in the NHL, even the bottom six players (or hopefuls) score more than that.

Draft position was brought up to show that his current production and projection is in fact lower than that of guys who were mid round picks, and went on to become fourth liners, as support for the idea that his current production has him projecting to be an AHL player.

It has nothing to do with draft position, I suspect you just didn't like the answer you got (from @Dr Jan Itor too btw, not just me)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad