Player Discussion Charlie Coyle

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Prediction: Charlie Coyle as the #1 center (#1 center meaning he gets to play with either 63 or 88)

• He will thrive as the 1c.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • He will be a serviceable #1c.

Votes: 23 17.8%
  • He's terrible (big minus player) but they keep him there because they don't have better options.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • He will be the 2c and not get to play with 63 or 88.

Votes: 46 35.7%
  • He will be the 3c by Xmas if not sooner. Charlie Coyle is not a top6 C.

Votes: 53 41.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I think if the Bruins had a top two center they beat Florida, our bottom 6 was as good as any team in the playoffs and would have been even better with Coyle and Z slotted in correct positions.

DS Gambled that they would be good enough, he was wrong.

Bruins fix the center position they are a cup contender, no doubt in my mind

I for one have serious doubt. I really hope Sweeney is not so optimistic as to think the Bruins are just one add away from beating Florida. They're not, no matter who that player might be. When the series was really there to be won through games 2-4 Boston got blown out bad. They rallied, and credit for that, but the damage was done. On top of that none of the centers on the market are really all that appealing. Lindholm and Stephenson are both fine and would be useful, but I don't see either as a major game-changer. Maybe Don can spring some other surprise, but can't count on it.

Every year the fanbase does this - 'oh if only we'd had this or that player, or filled this hole, we'd win the Cup'. Moves get made, the next season rolls around, and it's 1st or 2nd round exit again. Rinse, repeat. Yes the Bruins aren't miles away, but they're not super close either. They want to improve, but others do too. The Rangers and Canes etc. will not sit idle. There's some good dough to play with, and if Sweeney can really work the phones well and make 3 or 4 good deals, just maybe they'll strike gold. Certainly wouldn't rule it out. But with limited assets and not a huge amount to hope for from the prospect pool, it's an uphill challenge.

Getting a good top 6 C nudges them closer to the pointy end, for sure, and as you say lets guys like Coyle settle in their more natural positions. But I think it's going to take more than that. They need more speed, more grit, and better mental toughness/resilience.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
First 2 rounds not really Thomas was so so vs Montreal. Philly was bad and then he had a couple off games early vs Tampa. Middle of the ECF to the Finals sure.

The fact that a .925 sv% is considered so-so tells you the level he was at. Especially considering how many odd man rushes and golden opportunities the defense kept giving up against them.

Philly wasn't bad, just stop it. They had more points than the Bruins and the 3rd most points in the NHL (106) and had the 3rd best offense in the NHL with 256 GF, only 2 goals less than the league leading Canucks (they had 20 more ES goals than the Canucks).

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston
I for one have serious doubt. I really hope Sweeney is not so optimistic as to think the Bruins are just one add away from beating Florida. They're not, no matter who that player might be. When the series was really there to be won through games 2-4 Boston got blown out bad. They rallied, and credit for that, but the damage was done. On top of that none of the centers on the market are really all that appealing. Lindholm and Stephenson are both fine and would be useful, but I don't see either as a major game-changer. Maybe Don can spring some other surprise, but can't count on it.

Every year the fanbase does this - 'oh if only we'd had this or that player, or filled this hole, we'd win the Cup'. Moves get made, the next season rolls around, and it's 1st or 2nd round exit again. Rinse, repeat. Yes the Bruins aren't miles away, but they're not super close either. They want to improve, but others do too. The Rangers and Canes etc. will not sit idle. There's some good dough to play with, and if Sweeney can really work the phones well and make 3 or 4 good deals, just maybe they'll strike gold. Certainly wouldn't rule it out. But with limited assets and not a huge amount to hope for from the prospect pool, it's an uphill challenge.

Getting a good top 6 C nudges them closer to the pointy end, for sure, and as you say lets guys like Coyle settle in their more natural positions. But I think it's going to take more than that. They need more speed, more grit, and better mental toughness/resilience.
Like many, been watching following and being around many levels of the sport for almost 40 years.

I have been out to lunch and even sound like a dumbass on many occasions but down below the surface I feel I know what I'm talking about on most occasions.

I watch and look around the league and see other teams and what they bring and will agree with you other teams will not sit idle, they never do.

I have always maintained you build from the Goalie on up and need to be strong down the middle.

We have 90% of what's needed in place to be contenders for a long time going forward, sure there will be changes to the style of player from one position to another but the foundation for success is in place.

We add a top two center we are as good as any team in the league. I for one think a big add is coming to help put us right in the mix for a future cup.

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Like many, been watching following and being around many levels of the sport for almost 40 years.

I have been out to lunch and even sound like a dumbass on many occasions but down below the surface I feel I know what I'm talking about on most occasions.

I watch and look around the league and see other teams and what they bring and will agree with you other teams will not sit idle, they never do.

I have always maintained you build from the Goalie on up and need to be strong down the middle.

We have 90% of what's needed in place to be contenders for a long time going forward, sure there will be changes to the style of player from one position to another but the foundation for success is in place.

We add a top two center we are as good as any team in the league. I for one think a big add is coming to help put us right in the mix for a future cup.

I agree with your basic philosophy on team building. And that the Bruins have some key pieces already in place. I just think they're a little further away from genuine contender status than one player. To me it's not so much about specific personnel as about balance and having the right players to execute your chosen tactics and perform under pressure. All those needs are solvable, just going to take some work. The 22-23 team that caught almost all of us by surprise shows that anything is possible.

And I certainly hope you're right about the big add. Something to give some real pep to the offseason and hope for the coming year would be great.

Reactions: BMC and 4ORRBRUIN

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Panthers versus McDavid, Drai, and Nugent-Hop versus Coyle, Zacha, Geekie versus Trochek Zina Roslovic versus Stamkos Point Cirelli.

Thus far Coyle Zacha and Geekie have been the most difficult opponents for Florida.

Fact is ... Bruins add one of Stevenson and/or Lindholm ... the bruins still don't get past this panther team. Coyle played equal to or better than any of the centers the Panthers faced.
Pretty bang on I would say Mr Blowfish

Clode

Aug 2, 2012
Derry, NH

I know Chiclets and Bizz aren't everybody's cup of tea around these parts but they had Charlie Coyle on for an interview on today's episode and it was a pretty good listen I thought. Starts around the 1:05:00 mark after the ad read and goes for about an hour. Apparently they did the interview a few months ago so there weren't any talks about any super current stuff but I still found it good nonetheless. Also a little Swayman stuff afterwards for those interested.

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
You are right he is a good player, but you know that because you actually watch him play and understand his value.
Not sure there are too many that don’t like Coyle the player. Most see him as a very good 3C. The issue some have is with the contract the Bruins signed him to. He was coming off the best 20 game stretch of his career and they gave a 28 year old a 2C comtract with the hopes that after 600 games of 3C performance he would suddenly rise to 2C abilities.

He is a very solid player and by all accounts a great guy and teammate. In this cap world, we have to be able to separate the person from the contract in our evaluations.

Reactions: BMC

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
Not sure there are too many that don’t like Coyle the player. Most see him as a very good 3C. The issue some have is with the contract the Bruins signed him to. He was coming off the best 20 game stretch of his career and they gave a 28 year old a 2C comtract with the hopes that after 600 games of 3C performance he would suddenly rise to 2C abilities.

He is a very solid player and by all accounts a great guy and teammate. In this cap world, we have to be able to separate the person from the contract in our evaluations.
Coyle Is a work horse he isn’t over paid even a little bit. His contract is good imo.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Coyle Is a work horse he isn’t over paid even a little bit. His contract is good imo.
Exactly. We just spent $5mil/yr on Derek Forbort's replacement and people are still bitching about Coyle being overpaid?

$5.25mil for a 2C who's an absolute horse, is a pretty good deal.

And yeah, the guy is a legit 2C....

Last edited:

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
An interesting little tidbit that probably means absolutely nothing: Yesterday, I went to hockeydb to check up on some players and oddly enough, Charlie Coyle was the #1 trending search for the past hour and ( as of right now ) was the #2 searched player for yesterday behind Filip Zadina, who had a false report going around about a PTO with the Sabres. I thought maybe Coyle got traded, but as far as I know, there isn't anything going on with him this summer. In any event, he's getting a bunch of people searching for him and that usually doesn't happen unless there's some sort of newsworthy thing going on for a player.

edit: looks like he's still trending in the past hour search when posting this - #5 most searched player as of right now. For comparison, Swayman was 8th and currently in the news cycle with his latest Triple H like interview about what's good for business.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Kegs

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario

See here lies the problem. Most see him as a valuable 2C not 3C. The stats don't lie.

Last edited:

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
You could have gotten someone for less money, but could he give you what Coyle gives, and one of the important things is PK, and don't forget what he and Zacha did for this team last year stepping up as 1st and 2nd line centers when they lost their top 2 centers for over 10 years , I think that counts for something, how about you.

Reactions: Kegs

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
You could have gotten someone for less money, but could he give you what Coyle gives, and one of the important things is PK, and don't forget what he and Zacha did for this team last year stepping up as 1st and 2nd line centers when they lost their top 2 centers for over 10 years , I think that counts for something, how about you.
There is just so much to like. $5 mil well spent.

Reactions: Blowfish

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

PLYMOUTH — Charlie Coyle is used to being one of the elder statesmen on the Bruins.
A trade-deadline pickup who helped the Bruins come within 60 minutes of a Stanley Cup title in 2019, the Weymouth native is now one of just six players remaining from that team.
Only Brad Marchand, David Pastrnak, Brandon Carlo, Charlie McAvoy, and Trent Frederic on the current roster have donned a black-and-gold sweater longer than the 32-year-old Coyle.
But even at this stage of his career, Coyle has seen his role evolve since joining his hometown team.
He was once a third-line center capable of driving the play and dominating matchups down the depth chart, but the retirements of Patrice Bergeron and David Krejci elevated Coyle into a top-line role last season

The returns were strong, with Coyle scoring a career-high 25 goals and 60 points over 82 games. A dependable Swiss Army knife in the forward corps, Coyle also logged 1:50 of power-play time and 2:28 of shorthanded time per game — the latter being tops among Bruins forwards.

Coyle largely answered the call as a featured player up front, but the veteran is looking to continue building his game and adapt to whatever tasks coach Jim Montgomery has for him moving forward.

“I think having another year under your belt and with [Bergeron and Krejci] gone and knowing kind of what to expect — everyone’s roles kind of changed a little bit,” Coyle said. “There’s more responsibility put on some guys, and I want more responsibility on my shoulders.

“That’s why you play. You want that, and I got a little more of that with playing different situations last year. So that’s huge. That can only help to get acclimated with that.

“I want to be a guy who plays in all sorts of roles and be important to the team. We all do. And I think we can take another step forward here this year.”

Adding Lindholm should alleviate some of that scoring burden on Coyle, slotting him down to the second line next to Marchand and potentially pushing Zacha to the wing on the top line.

Add in the snarl that Zadorov and checking-line regulars Max Jones and Mark Kastelic should bring, and Coyle feels as though the Bruins are well-equipped to stay off the ropes against bruising opponents like the Panthers.

“I love the signings here,” Coyle said. “A lot of the guys, Kastelic too, just add a little bit of grit. Those guys, you can never have enough of that on the team. It’s a great thing to have — guys who work hard, can play the game well. I think it’s huge. It’s going to add to our identity a little bit.

“When you have 1-2-3-4 lines that can do that, wear [opponents] down, it gets to be a bit much to defend. So we’re looking forward to that. That’s hockey, that’s playing the right way, and we’ve got to do more of that.”

“I used to be kind of a revolving door, like playing up and down the lineup — wing, center — even when I was in Minnesota,” Coyle said. “Here, I’ve kind of been a staple, which has been good. I’ve been put in a spot, so it makes it a little easier to succeed and play well. But we’ll see what happens.

“Like I said, hopefully guys step up and someone takes the initiative. We’ve all got to make the team and earn your spot. That’s the mind-set.

“So that’s how I go into camp, and I want to earn my spot out there, and however it works out, whatever the coaches think, I’m going to play to the best of my ability, whether it’s with Marchy and whoever else is there, and we’re going to do the best we can. That’s all you can ask for.”

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site
1726765743191.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad