Celebrity Death: Charles Cyphers (Halloween,” “The Fog and “Assault on Precinct 13”)

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
Charles Cyphers, ‘Halloween’ Actor, Dies at 85

Charles Cyphers, known for his role as Sheriff Leigh Brackett in the “Halloween” franchise, died from a brief illness in Tucson, Ariz., on Sunday, his manager Chris Roe announced. He was 85.

“Charles was a lovable and sensitive man,” Roe said in a statement shared with Variety. “He always had the best stories, and you got a full performance while he told you. He was a close friend and client on many years who will be dearly missed.”

Reactions: shadow1

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
RIP to an actor that would pop up in many a Carpenter films

Also was on an awful TV show back in 90's that was on WB. I don't remember what its name was but it was awful sitcom

Reactions: shadow1

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
As stated, he was in so many John Carpenter and Carpenter-adjacent movies: Assault on Precinct 13; Halloween I, II, and Kills; Elvis, The Fog; Escape From New York. For some reason, the performance that came to mind was his role in the TV movie Someone's Watching Me, which Carpenter directed right before Halloween. Also remember him from Death Wish 2.

RIP.

Reactions: Blackhawkswincup

Babe Ruth

Looks wise.. I'm a solid 8.5
Feb 2, 2016
RIP to an actor that would pop up in many a Carpenter films

Also was on an awful TV show back in 90's that was on WB. I don't remember what its name was but it was awful sitcom
I didn't recollect Cyphers collaborating with Carpenter outside of Halloween. I mostly remember his scene in the first Halloween, when he encounters his daughter driving thru Haddonfield, as she was just getting high (if I remember right)..
I think the show you're thinking of was 'Nick Freno'. It was basically an updated Welcome Back Kotter, with the hip teacher, and class of dunces, etc.
After your post, I'm embarrassed to admit, I liked that show..
Rest in peace to Mr Cyphers.

• Haha

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I didn't recollect Cyphers collaborating with Carpenter outside of Halloween. I mostly remember his scene in the first Halloween, when he encounters his daughter driving thru Haddonfield, as she was just getting high (if I remember right)..
I think the show you're thinking of was 'Nick Freno'. It was basically an updated Welcome Back Kotter, with the hip teacher, and class of dunces, etc.
After your post, I'm embarrassed to admit, I liked that show..
Rest in peace to Mr Cyphers.

The show gave me a vibe of being white equivalent to Steve Harvey show

I do know if you recall if they were on same night? I remember several stations tried to recapture the ABC TGIF success but never could match it with family sitcoms, etc

Last edited:

Babe Ruth

Looks wise.. I'm a solid 8.5
Feb 2, 2016
The show gave me a vibe of being white equivalent to Steve Harvey show

I do you recall if they were on same night? I remember several stations tried to recapture the ABC TGIF success but never could match it with family sitcoms, etc
Yeah, because it was late 90s, Nick Freno was very comparable to Steve Harvey, or Hangin with Mr Cooper, etc.. more so than being comparable to Mr Kotter.
But it is the timeless template of wisecracking teacher, herding a school (or classroom) of dunces and delinquents.
I don't remember what night Freno aired, but I vividly remember it airing in '97, because I have memories of where I was watching from that year.
Honestly, I was probably the only person enjoying Nick Freno: Licensed Teacher..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad