Speculation: Changing the concept of rentals

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Why not be able to actually rent a player for a set time? Say max x% of a season. For instance Ottawa is most likely out of the playoffs. Say they could trade Chabot@50% for a boat load of futures and they get him back at the end of the playoffs.
It will allow to non play off teams to accrue a ton more prospects while retaining their stars.
It would massively increase the pool for play off teams to draw on
It would lead to fans of non play off teams rooting for what ever team their fav player goes to.

Are there any logistical issues I am forgetting?
@mouser is there any HRR implications to an idea like this?

This is incredibly stupid.

Teams are not going to surrender a "boatload of futures" for a two month rental of a player to just hand him back to another team. What's to stop say the Lightning from just triple shifting Chabot in the playoffs, grind his body to dust and then return the husk to Ottawa. What if a guy gets a serious injury that he can play through but risks long term damage if he does? Does Ottawa have a say in how he's used?

Reactions: Beezeral

Deadly Dogma

All I have is substantially vapid opinions
Sponsor
May 3, 2016

Teams are not going to surrender a "boatload of futures" for a two month rental of a player to just hand him back to another team. What's to stop say the Lightning from just triple shifting Chabot in the playoffs, grind his body to dust and then return the husk to Ottawa. What if a guy gets a serious injury that he can play through but risks long term damage if he does? Does Ottawa have a say in how he's used?
Why not? teams pay 1sts+ for rentals all the time
obv the salary needs to be insured and there would need to be some sort of injury compensation chart, similar to the RFA chart

Reactions: Jacob582

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Why not? teams pay 1sts+ for rentals all the time
obv the salary needs to be insured and there would need to be some sort of injury compensation chart, similar to the RFA chart

So basically, if you trade for rental Chabot or Draisaitl under your plan and they happen to get hurt.. you're f***ed. You apparently gave up a boatload of assets to rent them for a period and then you'd have to pay "asset reparations" for returning a broken asset. That would be damaging enough that teams wouldn't go for this. It's certainly an outside of the box idea, but it just ignores that teams wouldn't want to pay a ton to acquire a guy for two months and potentially be on the hook for a massive penalty if the player happened to get injured during the grindiest period in professional sports. And the team with the "rental" asset wouldn't want to deal the player that they have under contract to another team, lose all control over whatever happens with him, and potentially lose a Thomas Chabot and be refunded with a late 1st round pick or two.

It's a bad idea frought with a lot of problems... which also ignores that fans are usually keen on the logo on the front of the jersey and not the name on the back. Say you did trade Thomas Chabot to the Lightning and the Lightning win and Chabot comes back to Ottawa. What does that do for Ottawa fans? Not a f***ing thing.

Reactions: Deadly Dogma

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Yeah, it would make for an interesting playoffs and trade deadline but I feel insurance would be an issue especially with which teams gets to decide if a player plays a key game where it’s up to the team although doctors say you can play but with certain long term risks

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
I mean, why even have teams then. There is no teamspirit in that world ( killing the small heartpices of teamspirit existing in NHL).

And as fans, we wouldnt get any relation with the team and the players.

Its hard to write in words how much that idea would suck.

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
Don't think the players would go for it. Having to move away alone/away from family for like 3 months and living at a teammates/rental.

Don't think the teams would go for it. Imagine you loan out Chabot and he gets injured during those 3 months. Not to mention how insurance coverage will work in this instance.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Why not be able to actually rent a player for a set time? Say max x% of a season. For instance Ottawa is most likely out of the playoffs. Say they could trade Chabot@50% for a boat load of futures and they get him back at the end of the playoffs.
It will allow to non play off teams to accrue a ton more prospects while retaining their stars.
It would lead to fans of non play off teams rooting for what ever team their fav player goes to.

the problem is it goes against the the rules of the CBA--

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
I mean, why even have teams then. There is no teamspirit in that world ( killing the small heartpices of teamspirit existing in NHL).

And as fans, we wouldnt get any relation with the team and the players.

Its hard to write in words how much that idea would suck.
What if its just 1 temp rental per team, the way it is now we have 16 in and 16 out of the playoffs.

the problem is it goes against the the rules of the CBA--
I get that, it was a hypothetical situation. Similar to trading cap space but that wouldn't work since it would just push escrow up to the max.
However I can honestly see a time where teams are allowed 1 temp rental trade up to a max of 30 days prior to the trade deadline. Thats 1 in and or 1 out. IMO ELC players should be exempt. The $$ should even out so its not like any more is being spent. The non playoff team with the best available player now get an additional 1st and top prospect. If said player gets injured compensation would be related to duration and salary of player(why ELC's should be omitted)

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
What if its just 1 temp rental per team, the way it is now we have 16 in and 16 out of the playoffs.

I get that, it was a hypothetical situation. Similar to trading cap space but that wouldn't work since it would just push escrow up to the max.
However I can honestly see a time where teams are allowed 1 temp rental trade up to a max of 30 days prior to the trade deadline. Thats 1 in and or 1 out. IMO ELC players should be exempt. The $$ should even out so its not like any more is being spent. The non playoff team with the best available player now get an additional 1st and top prospect. If said player gets injured compensation would be related to duration and salary of player(why ELC's should be omitted)

Would still suck. And the best players would sometimes stop caring about his own team, knowing that he at least gets to a bettrr team after the long regular season.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
This breaks down the verisimilitude that players aren't mercenaries.

EDIT: Why limit this to players?
Coaching staff as black aces.
Flyers could get a lot by loaning out Gritty.
Or let teams buy wins from each other? Maybe they can rent player histories for banner raising ceremonies? Toronto could pay every team to pretend its the 60s again.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
This breaks down the verisimilitude that players aren't mercenaries.

EDIT: Why limit this to players?
Coaching staff as black aces.
Flyers could get a lot by loaning out Gritty.
Or let teams buy wins from each other? Maybe they can rent player histories for banner raising ceremonies? Toronto could pay every team to pretend its the 60s again.
It just seems to make sense to me, it allows teams to get more picks/prospects to speed up a rebuild. It also ensures that we see the best players in the play offs.
Keep in mind its only 1 player who is off of their ELC that can be moved under this type of rental. Also its not a case where the player or either team has any say in the matter. If it was agreed up that its a rental deal, no matter what the contract reverts to the original team on July 1st.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Currently under the CBA, if any salary is retained then a team has to wait one full year after the trade happened before they can trade for that player back.

This came up when the Penguins wanted to get Carl Hagelin back from the Kings at the Feb 2019 TDL after trading him to the Kings on Nov 2018 and retaining 6.3% of his salary (250k).

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
Loans happen in soccer and they're usually for young players who need more play time or for older players not getting play time.
In hockey this concept happens as well, plenty of teams (AHL/ NHL to Europe) already loan players to other clubs.
What your proposing would actually be a trade. Because the team "loaning" the superstar gets a "boatload" of assets. That is called a trade, not a loan. A trade with an expiration date I guess.

Not factoring the cap issues which would be another can of worms.

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017

The biggest issue I see is the following: Team A is out of playoffs race and rents Player B to Team C. Now, after the deadline, Team A goes on a run and somehow sneaks into the playoffs, and faces Team C.

What happens now? Does the player play against his team?What happens if he has a good series when he comes back? Also, for any mistake Team C's fans will say he sold the game/series. The player would be screwed up no matter what.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Thats basically loaning players
Could be interesting but I don't think it'd work well

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

This^.

A handful of guys like McDavid command the max in any situation, but 99% of the time in a vacuum more term = more production/more opportunity to have the player able to produce.

I said in a vacuum b'c either a contract can go up which changes the dynamic, or the team has OTHER contracts the following season so a guy ok for this year busts the cap the next. So, acquire a guy for this year, then be forced to unload and get reamed for a lot less b'c everyone sees your bind? Nope.

IF IF IF
this could be properly organized and constructed as separate markets [ie 1 yr or multi-yr] theoretically .... maybe. But actually, constraints say no.

A better idea is to ban NMCs, instead allowing for extensive NTCs, and perhaps to allow a 'post season cap splurge' [stay within cap all season, playoff teams --- on the argument they've earned it --- can temporarily go over for playoffs, but then have til _______ x date [50 days?] post season to get 111% back to cap compliant.

Also we see ibn basketball coupla seasons where Jordan/LeBron unstoppable. Orr was like that.
An argument can be made both ways about uber dominant players and can they skew playoffs if they prefer one location?

Interesting idea OP, and credit for that, but preliminary assessment is no.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad