Changes to the game you would like to see ...

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Get rid of the shootout. Just play 3 on 3 until someone scores, it won't take long. They're both wacky as hell and crappy ways to end a game, but a crapshoot is better than a cointoss.

Get rid of the offside challenges, this is the worst crap I have ever seen. Kill the flow of the game and get rid of good goals because the rules must be interpreted literally? Screw that.

I'd like to at least have a shot at real overtime first, but yeah, if nothing comes of it, I wouldn't mind just doing 3 on 3 until there's a winner.

Like you said, I can't see it going on long, and they play double, triple overtime in other sports (or 18 innings if you will) and play the next night.

Plus, since it's 3 on 3, it won't ruin the mystique of playoff overtime.

Naslund

Jun 18, 2006
USA
Larger ice (5ft)
Larger nets (~2-4 inches)

The NHL game badly needs these changes.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
yea even in some interviews, players said they didnt know what is and what isnt a penalty anymore, so inconsistent.

The game isn't getting less goals and what not because goalies are better. It's because the refs are interfering with the outcome far too often and muddle what is and what isn't a penalty. A guy gets whacked and bleeds, if he does't flail or make a big deal, the refs won't call it and if the guy asks why, he's literally told he didn't make enough of a fuss, there are multiple accounts of this by players.

As well as confusion as you've mentioned. You have players take liberties to star players and then the star player has enough and there's that hypocrisy as well.

If the officiating is held more accountable, the flow of the game gets better, player safety gets better...the league becomes less frustrating to watch.

Oildrum

Jan 22, 2013
How about making it illegal to interview players between periods. Wtf do they expect them to say?

"Well we were getting the puck in deep but we need to get after it more"
"Just need to get a few more shots on net"
"Ya (Insert Goalie Here) really kept us in it that period now we need to bury a few"
"They really came out flying but we managed to hang in there and push back at the end"

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
The game isn't getting less goals and what not because goalies are better. It's because the refs are interfering with the outcome far too often and muddle what is and what isn't a penalty. A guy gets whacked and bleeds, if he does't flail or make a big deal, the refs won't call it and if the guy asks why, he's literally told he didn't make enough of a fuss, there are multiple accounts of this by players.

As well as confusion as you've mentioned. You have players take liberties to star players and then the star player has enough and there's that hypocrisy as well.

If the officiating is held more accountable, the flow of the game gets better, player safety gets better...the league becomes less frustrating to watch.

It's become so accepted it seems like a radical change but they need to penalize all whacks to a players arms and hands. You're not making an attempt to play the puck so it can only be considered an intentional slash.

Imagine what players could do without a barrage of slashes to their arms, wrists and hands.

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
3. If the NHL wants more scoring, one little rule change can help. As in football where the ball just has to break the plane, do the same in hockey, if the puck breaks the plane, call it a goal. Plus will help alot in replays to decide if its a goal or not.

Yeah, that's a terrifyingly crappy idea.

Also, not sure you want your sport modeled after the snoozefest the NFL stands for.

Not sure you realize this but part of the reason why hockey is popular in Europe and other parts, DESPITE the astronomical costs it takes to play it, is because it resembles soccer a lot.

American Football is not a very pleasing experience to people who didn't grow up in America. The breaking the plain rule is a very dumb rule and it should not be anywhere close to hockey.

As for your request to suggest rule changes, well the only rules I would like to change is the instigator AND have a standalone diving rule where only the player who "dove" goes in the box and not call an offset penalty when in reality the player who supposedly committed the foul goes off into the box even though the ref established the "fouled" player dove and there was no infraction committed.

Diving and embellishment are 2 different things and should be called as such.

Furthermore, just call the damn rules (obstruction, etc.).
If you call the rules as they are, and not just in the regular season, special teams will become more important and goals will increase as well.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
Use the NFL style rules for penalties.

1:30
3:00
5:00

Hooking, tripping, puck over the glass, etc are 1:30
Slashing, charging, high stick (no blood), boarding, etc 3:00
The 5:00 stay the same.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I like the idea of penalties continuing even after a goal is scored. Increase scoring and discipline. And as an upshot, it definitely should bring us back to the days of every team dressing an enforcer which I think the game is missing. Obviously if penalties are so devastating, there has to be another way for teams to settle a score. Better a fight between two pros than a slash to the face or whatever hot headed crap you're getting now that fighting is on the decline.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
you mean every trip is called by the refs? your out to lunch! and while your there get me a burger....

I never said that EVERY trip is called by the referees. I said that INTENT is never decided by the referee. They don't decide not to call a tripping penalty because they don't think that the player intentionally tripped the guy.

How about putting more effort into reading and comprehending comments than you put into trying to make snarky quips? Yeesh.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
no, it's not. :laugh:

and it "takes the flow out of the game??" LOL! pot - kettle - black.

POG used to happen maybe 15 times a game. Now you'll go several games with it not happening once. errr, is that intentional or not? :sarcasm:

and btw i played alot of hockey before the rule change. - so what?

Right? He mentions taking the flow out of the game, but wants players to be able to throw the puck over the glass more. lol

ToMaLe

Sep 24, 2002
Saskatchewan
Yeah, that's a terrifyingly crappy idea.

Also, not sure you want your sport modeled after the snoozefest the NFL stands for.

Not sure you realize this but part of the reason why hockey is popular in Europe and other parts, DESPITE the astronomical costs it takes to play it, is because it resembles soccer a lot.

American Football is not a very pleasing experience to people who didn't grow up in America. The breaking the plain rule is a very dumb rule and it should not be anywhere close to hockey.

As for your request to suggest rule changes, well the only rules I would like to change is the instigator AND have a standalone diving rule where only the player who "dove" goes in the box and not call an offset penalty when in reality the player who supposedly committed the foul goes off into the box even though the ref established the "fouled" player dove and there was no infraction committed.

Diving and embellishment are 2 different things and should be called as such.

Furthermore, just call the damn rules (obstruction, etc.).
If you call the rules as they are, and not just in the regular season, special teams will become more important and goals will increase as well.

thanks for your crappy response ... add changes you would like to see and quit putting down other peoples ideas just because you dont agree with them! and hockey is nothing like the boring game of soccer!

ToMaLe

Sep 24, 2002
Saskatchewan
I never said that EVERY trip is called by the referees. I said that INTENT is never decided by the referee. They don't decide not to call a tripping penalty because they don't think that the player intentionally tripped the guy.

How about putting more effort into reading and comprehending comments than you put into trying to make snarky quips? Yeesh.

sorry i hurt your feelings.... like i said in other posts, this thread is about putting down your ideas that you would like to see not telling others how crappy their ideas are... try comprehending and reading what the thread title says ok bud.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Eliminate the NCAA free agency loophole.
Get rid of the gimmick 3 on 3 and go straight to a shooout.
3 points for a regulation win 2 points for a shootout win 1 point sO loss
Use the plane of the blueline for offsides reviews.
Anyone advocating for contraction of relocation of teams must give up there team for contracting or moving.

Petrouth

Its not my time
Apr 23, 2013
East York, Toronto
thanks for your crappy response ... add changes you would like to see and quit putting down other peoples ideas just because you dont agree with them! and hockey is nothing like the boring game of soccer!

Two teams of opposing players go up and down the playing surface in an attempt to put an object into the opposing teams net. Doing so results in a point and the team with the most points in the end wins. There are categories of players corresponding to their role on the team. These categories include those on offense, those on defense and a goalkeeper. All are represented on the playing surface, for both teams, at the same time. Strategy involves the balance between offense and defense for the side.

Am I referring to hockey or soccer? Or could it possibly be both?

ToMaLe

Sep 24, 2002
Saskatchewan
Two teams of opposing players go up and down the playing surface in an attempt to put an object into the opposing teams net. Doing so results in a point and the team with the most points in the end wins. There are categories of players corresponding to their role on the team. These categories include those on offense, those on defense and a goalkeeper. All are represented on the playing surface, for both teams, at the same time. Strategy involves the balance between offense and defense for the side.

Am I referring to hockey or soccer? Or could it possibly be both?

hockey is fast and exciting, hard hitting, soccer is not and too much diving for phantom injuries, its boring. You like it and good for you but its nothing like hockey imo.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Remove goalies from the game and make the net smaller. 6v6 skaters. Game doesn't stop when goals are made.

ToMaLe

Sep 24, 2002
Saskatchewan
Right? He mentions taking the flow out of the game, but wants players to be able to throw the puck over the glass more. lol

please tell me where I want players to throw the puck over the glass more? and you want me to comprehend and read better? Try taking your own advice! I never said that once and would never want that. Got to try and put words in peoples mouth to try and make yourself look good I see, nice try!

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017

If you didn't act so thin skinned to responses that don't go your way you would have seen that I took the time (I have no idea why though) to put down some feedback to proposed changes (non-changes).

If you don't like people calling your ideas bad perhaps a message board is not best for you. Be prepared to defend it and not just "neenaneenaneeana you are a poopyhead".

The idea of counting a goal just by "breaking the plane" is atrocious for the simple fact that you would have to adjust every single line rule. You will have to adjust offsides, icing, the trapezoid. It will change the whole game, and certainly not for the better.

Call soccer boring all you want, it doesn't hurt me.
I played it for decades and agree, it's boring. It won't change anything about American Football being even worse in the entertainment department.

Compared to Soccer, American Football rivals chess in sleep inducing action.

So yes, breaking the plane is stupid and unnecessary.

Like it or not soccer IS closer to hockey than Football can ever dream of.

Hockey is like soccer on steroids with sticks, protection and ice. Same dynamics (a lot faster), same goal, similar layout.
Stomp your foot all you want, those are undeniable facts.

Now go ahead and start insulting people personally while completely avoiding the actual posts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad