Proposal: Chandler Stephenson to DET

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
It's become clear that Stephenson isn't just a lucky passenger with Stone and Patches. They've both missed time, and he's been just as good without one or both of them.

Stephenson has earned his spot, and he'll stay with those linemates this season, even after Eichel gets back.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Just read the 1st page and didn't see a Detroit fan even make an offer. I'm guessing it's because they know it will cost more than they want to give up?

Someone put it best... offer a player that puts up similar PPG numbers and team impact at 2.75 or less. That'd be who, Raymond? Seider?

VGK ain't trading him.

Reactions: Habsrule

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Why would a cap-strapped team move a player who is vastly outperforming his contract? Dadonov will get shipped out. Maybe some other fringe pieces.

Vegas could quite easily roll three very dangerous scoring lines now:
Pacioretty - Eichel - _____
Marchessault - Karlsson - Smith
_______ - Stephenson - Stone

Plug in Roy and Janmark in the empty slots.

Reactions: majormajor

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018
Just read the 1st page and didn't see a Detroit fan even make an offer. I'm guessing it's because they know it will cost more than they want to give up?

Someone put it best... offer a player that puts up similar PPG numbers and team impact at 2.75 or less. That'd be who, Raymond? Seider?

VGK ain't trading him.

Well yeah, look at it from VGK’s perspective: a team whose C depth has basically been the bane of its existence can now roll a lineup of Eichel-Karlsson-Stephenson-Roy/Patrick.

They take this position from a weakness to an absolute strength and the OP wants them to break that up for what? I guess maybe the thought process was since VGK got Stephenson for a 5th, DET could offer a 4th and call it a day?

Reactions: banks

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
Vegas has other players they can trade and Stephenson would cost too much.

If the Wings were further along and needed one last piece I could see dropping a high first and a good prospect for a 1c/2c kind of guy. They aren't there yet. If they get lucky they can draft one this year or next in either Wright or Bedard.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Not a change
When Eichel joins the squad, I doubt they break up the Smith - Karlsson - Marchessault line…. So what happens to chandler? From 1C to 3C?

can they even afford him

I feel this is a chance for Yzerman to fill the 2C spot for relatively cheap due to Vegas cap situation… what would It take to get him ?

he also fits the wings core being only 27 and can fit on a line with Vrana and Zadina.

Thoughts?
Not a chance CS is shipped out..zero. he has been the knights best player

Reactions: banks

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Ofcourse we are willing to take Stephenson of your hands to help out. We'll take Whitecloud as well. All to help the knights cap issues obviously.

Reactions: PelagicJoe

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Why would a cap-strapped team move a player who is vastly outperforming his contract? Dadonov will get shipped out. Maybe some other fringe pieces.

Vegas could quite easily roll three very dangerous scoring lines now:
Pacioretty - Eichel - _____
_______ - Stephenson - Stone

Plug in Roy and Janmark in the empty slots.

They could go with 4 scoring lines. Why is Dadanov no longer on the Vegas roster?

Carrier - Eichel - Stone
Pacioretty - Stephenson - Kolesar
Roy - Janmark - Dadanov

I think Stone is too valuable for the Knights to not have on the top line. His game and play making ability would fit Eichels game really well. Play Max on the third line because he's getting old and is slowing down.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
They could go with 4 scoring lines. Why is Dadanov no longer on the Vegas roster?

Carrier - Eichel - Stone
Pacioretty - Stephenson - Kolesar
Roy - Janmark - Dadanov

I think Stone is too valuable for the Knights to not have on the top line. His game and play making ability would fit Eichels game really well. Play Max on the third line because he's getting old and is slowing down.

They need cap space to activate Eichel off LTIR. Dadonov is the obvious candidate to move because he's a non-critical piece with a big cap hit.

The idea with the three lines I suggested is to just run them all heavily. There wouldn't be a "third line". Fourth line should hardly play in that scenario. Stone will still get tons of time on the top PP + PK. By creating a true four-line strategy, you're inadvertently eating into the top guys' ice time more than I was proposing.

Stone also isn't the fleetest of foot and benefits from Stephenson's speed. Stone + Stephenson could also be used as a tough comp matchup unit.

Kolesar in a high leverage/scoring role is...yuck. Not suited for that. Carrier has a modicum of more ability.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
If Stephenson were to hit the market, NYR would offer a ton for him as a long term strome replacement at that cap hit.
reilly Smith has been a savage for Vegas. I believe they’d rather self rent him then trade him this year.
Karlsson could be the odd man out out the end of the year...
They’ll have Eichel-Stephenson as 1-2 and Roy/Patrick/Howden for 3-4 next season...

as far as this year goes
Vegas would deal Dadanov / Janmark/ Smith/ Karlsson in that order before they lose Stephenson IMO

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
It's more likely they give up an asset to Buffalo for the Boychuk contract and move a bottom 6 player like Janmark, especially given the uncertainty of this season.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
And Dadonov
I don’t think Dadonov carries positive value. What is Vegas adding to move that contract off their books?

Dadonov + 2nd rounder to Buffalo for nothing in return. Vegas will need to buy that cap space from someone. Won’t be cheap.

smith, Karlsson and Stephenson have positive value. Dadonov and Janmark probably both negative value.

Last edited:

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018
I don’t think Dadonov carries positive value. What is Vegas adding to move that contract off their books?

Dadonov + 2nd rounder to Buffalo for nothing in return. Vegas will need to buy that cap space from someone. Won’t be cheap.

smith, Karlsson and Stephenson have positive value. Dadonov and Janmark probably both negative value.

I can’t see Janmark having negative value with that contract.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I can’t see Janmark having negative value with that contract.
You’re probably right. But $2mm doesn’t do much for Vegas cap issue and he’s still only worth maybe a 4th or 5th rounder. Seems like an odd trade for them to make and not much of a needle mover either. .

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT

What ever they do, its going to need to be more than 1 mid-priced guy that had to go.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2012
What ever they do, its going to need to be more than 1 mid-priced guy that had to go.

No it wouldn't. Once they waive a couple of the depth guys to get the roster down to 20 or 21 they would only need to clear about 7.8 million. That's easily doable with only one of Smith or Dadonov going out.

But with Pacioretty out now it may all be a moot point. He might conveniently be done for the regular season now. So all Vegas may have to do is move a small contract like Carrier or Janmark.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
No it wouldn't. Once they waive a couple of the depth guys to get the roster down to 20 or 21 they would only need to clear about 7.8 million. That's easily doable with only one of Smith or Dadonov going out.

But with Pacioretty out now it may all be a moot point. He might conveniently be done for the regular season now. So all Vegas may have to do is move a small contract like Carrier or Janmark.

Bischoff is also on LTIR, I think Pacioretty would get them under with a 22 player roster and the taxi squad.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest

Dadonov is making 5 this year and 6.5 next season in real salary. Even if Vegas added next seasons 1st to that 2nd, I think it is still very doubtful Pegula signs off on that move.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad