Champions League: Round of 16

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
I can buy the former but the latter doesn't track for me.

David is having a helluva season in Belgium, but at the same age, Pulisic was starting on a Champions League side in Germany.
Leading a decent Euro league in scoring is more impressive than being a vanilla player for a good team who occasionally started.

Reactions: Pouchkine

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Leading a decent Euro league in scoring is more impressive than being a vanilla player for a good team who occasionally started.
He started in 27 of 34 league games, playing in 32, having been injured for the 2 he did not play in.
He started in 4 of 6 Champions League games, playing in 5, having been injured for the 1 he did not play in.
He started in 2 of 4 Europa League games, playing in 3, having been injured for the 1 he did not play in.
He started in 1 of 3 Pokal games, having been injured for the 2 he did not play in.

All in all, he started in 34 of 47 games, playing in 40, and missed the others due to injury.

But fine, he never led the Belgian Jupiler League in goals. For those keeping track at home, the guy who won last year and the year before is now playing in Qatar. Meanwhile, the year before that you have Onyekuru (now in Turkey) and Teodorczyk, who has barely played for Udinese. Aleksandar Mitrovic is the last guy who led the Belgian First League in goals and did much of anything at a top 5 league side after Belgium.

I'm not saying that David is bad or that he doesn't have potential. But leading Belgium in goals isn't as impressive to me as being a locked in starter for Dortmund

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I don't know why opportunity is the qualifying factor here as to who is better. Look no further than someone like Dries Mertens to see why where they were playing at 19/20 really doesn't mean much.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
But fine, he never led the Belgian Jupiler League in goals. For those keeping track at home, the guy who won last year and the year before is now playing in Qatar. Meanwhile, the year before that you have Onyekuru (now in Turkey) and Teodorczyk, who has barely played for Udinese. Aleksandar Mitrovic is the last guy who led the Belgian First League in goals and did much of anything at a top 5 league side after Belgium.

I'm not saying that David is bad or that he doesn't have potential. But leading Belgium in goals isn't as impressive to me as being a locked in starter for Dortmund

It is when you're 19 years old, while not even playing as a striker, and while you're only in your 2nd professional season as a footballer

The other guys you mentioned (except Mitrovic) were all older journeymen who never even had half of David's potential

Reactions: Cassano

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Watched the Chelsea game in and out during class.

Extremely disappointing and predictable result, although I had it pegged as 2-0 to Bayern rather than a 3-0.

Reality is that we need a new left back, a new central defender, a new goalie, and two new wingers.

Quality of the squad is very weak right now. Pedro and Willian look past it and need to be replaced. Kepa and Caballero look equally incapable. We don't have a #1 centerback, but have a bunch of number twos and number threes who would look capable with a good partner. We need an improvement on the left and there's no need to justify it.

Oh well. As long as we keep our champions league spot, this season will be a success. I would like to see us back competing at the top. Really miss those 2015-2017 teams with Costa and Fabregas.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Also, Pulisic has been our best offensive winger when healthy. It's not really a debate either. The chance creation and intricate plays are much more noticeable with him in.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
It is when you're 19 years old, while not even playing as a striker, and while you're only in your 2nd professional season as a footballer

The other guys you mentioned (except Mitrovic) were all older journeymen who never even had half of David's potential
Onyekuru was old?

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Didn't see the match today, but some negatives and positives I'm taking away. The only positive is really the away goal, but I'll reserve further judgement until after I see the match. I'll add that Mertens is a player I said we should have gone after in the January window.

I've not seen them play much this year, but I will say that I think I underestimated Bayern. This has nothing to do with the Chelsea result really, but I'd put them in a group of teams that I think can challenge for the CL that I didn't previously include them with.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Watched the Chelsea game in and out during class.

Extremely disappointing and predictable result, although I had it pegged as 2-0 to Bayern rather than a 3-0.

Reality is that we need a new left back, a new central defender, a new goalie, and two new wingers.

Quality of the squad is very weak right now. Pedro and Willian look past it and need to be replaced. Kepa and Caballero look equally incapable. We don't have a #1 centerback, but have a bunch of number twos and number threes who would look capable with a good partner. We need an improvement on the left and there's no need to justify it.

Oh well. As long as we keep our champions league spot, this season will be a success. I would like to see us back competing at the top. Really miss those 2015-2017 teams with Costa and Fabregas.
It would've been a tough match, even if we were healthy with Abraham, Pulisic, RLC, Hudson-Odoi, and Kante. At least some of our issues can be solved with health, but LB, CB, and GK will remain big issues, even with a healthy squad. Get new starters in those positions, and depth elsewhere, and throw our name in for Sancho because why not.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Didn't see the match today, but some negatives and positives I'm taking away. The only positive is really the away goal, but I'll reserve further judgement until after I see the match. I'll add that Mertens is a player I said we should have gone after in the January window.

I've not seen them play much this year, but I will say that I think I underestimated Bayern. This has nothing to do with the Chelsea result really, but I'd put them in a group of teams that I think can challenge for the CL that I didn't previously include them with.

Of course it depends on the draws, but Bayern isn't top quality defensively, and Neuer isn't what he was at his best anymore. They'll leak goals against top opponents. And now that Lewandowski is apparently injured for a while, it's a further blow gor them. I'd be very surprised if they go beyond semis, even if a lot of top teams (outside of Liverpool) aren't playing consistently well this season, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad