Chad Johnson- "For a lot of games, it just seemed like a mess"

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

varano

Jun 27, 2013
From Tsn:

Goaltender Chad Johnson did not seem overly eager to re-sign with the Buffalo Sabres on Monday.
Johnson, who will be an unrestricted free agent in July, called out the Sabres for their poor defensive play, adding he would have to be convinced to return to Buffalo.
"I know I can be a good goalie in this league and I showed that when things were the way they should be," Johnson told the Buffalo News. "I have to see the change, whether it's through players or somehow convince me through contract, through whatever it is, to come back.
"For a lot of games, for like 20 out of 29, it just seemed like a mess. Things need to obviously change for a goalie to have success. You look at any team, if they play the way that we play ... I think any goalie, whether you're Pekka Rinne or [Andrei] Vasilevskiy, if a team doesn't play a certain basic standard, it's going to be a mess."

Johnson, 31, posted a 10-16-3 record this season with an .891 save percentage and a 3.55 goals-against average. He posted a .910 save percentage in 36 games with the Calgary Flames last season and a .920 save percentage during his first stint with the Sabres in 2015-16.
For his career, Johnson owns a .910 save percentage and a 2.65 goals-against average. He said Monday he’s hoping teams look past the game sheets when evaluating his play for this season as he looks to stay at the NHL level.
“At the end of the day you have to hope the games were watched, not just on the statistics side of it," Johnson said. "I'm going into free agency not knowing what to expect and that's the bitter part about it. As a guy in my situation or other guys on one-year deals, it's a lot harder. You can't just flip the page."
Johnson played the season on a one-year, $2.5 million contract with the Sabres.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
Guy sucks pond scum and just wants to put the blame elsewhere because he knows his NHL career is over unless some idiot buys the shit hes selling.
Johnson was so mentally weak that in 4 separate games he had 3-5 straight shots go in.

Not a single Sabres fan wants Johnson back and here he is trying to make demands. :laugh:
The team does have to change and a part of that is getting rid of the atrocious goaltending of TheChad and Lehner. Thanks for the top 4 pick I guess? Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Was amazing watching Ullmark and Wilcox come in and actually make saves instead of pretending to be a sieve.

Reactions: Phoicon

bigtim1988

YES! YES! YES! YES!
Jun 7, 2009
long island
This guy has always been an enigma; I’ve seen him put up good numbers on defensively responsible teams, but can’t stop a beach ball on teams that slack on defense.

He was awful for the islanders in 2014-2015, after putting up good numbers with the bruins. Then puts up good numbers with defensively responsible Calgary after being with the islanders.

I see a correlation; he should have known his numbers would slide. :help:

Reactions: biturbo19

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
So Ocho cinqo needs to see change in the organization before he agrees to come back as their backup goalie. Does he have photos of somebody in a compromising position? I would have thought he’s staring straight down the barrel of an ECHL contract at this point.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Even if the team was bad defensively, it's always a red flag to me about a goalie when they blame the defense/refuse to admit their share of the responsibility.

Sounds like the Sabres are better off without him.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
Sabres have to convince YOU to re-sign?

Shut your bum AHL ass up. You are garbage. Nobody is going to sign you this off-season.

- Botts to Johnson

eh hes been a solid goalie the last couple years

someone will sign him, everyone knows buffalo is trash atm

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
This is what happens when teams tank. The franchise gets destroyed internally and it has long lasting effects. I say this as an Oiler fans whos seen it first time.

Its the exact reason why I thought the anti tank threads were so dumb. Fans of good teams who were mad and jealous for some reason because bad teams got the high picks were perplexing. I never got the argument "Well its so easy to tank, we need to eliminate the incentive". They didn't realize that when teams tanked, or sucked hard, the impact on psyche amongst the players and throughout the franchise is so long lasting and detrimental. The cost of tanking is so much higher than the benefits. Its why you see the tanking teams (Buffalo, Edmonton, NYI, Florida) continue to suck for so many years after. It took a complete overhaul and Matthews in Toronto to break up the cycle of suckage

Its also the reason why the new draft lotto is so horribly bad for the NHL. Itll just keep below average franchises in the bottom 10 for many years to come

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
I think Johnson is a good back-up but both Calgary and Buffalo had him play too many games. He had a string of awesome games for the Flames last season but also a string of really terrible games.

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
This is what happens when teams tank. The franchise gets destroyed internally and it has long lasting effects. I say this as an Oiler fans whos seen it first time.

Its the exact reason why I thought the anti tank threads were so dumb. Fans of good teams who were mad and jealous for some reason because bad teams got the high picks were perplexing. I never got the argument "Well its so easy to tank, we need to eliminate the incentive". They didn't realize that when teams tanked, or sucked hard, the impact on psyche amongst the players and throughout the franchise is so long lasting and detrimental. The cost of tanking is so much higher than the benefits. Its why you see the tanking teams (Buffalo, Edmonton, NYI, Florida) continue to suck for so many years after. It took a complete overhaul and Matthews in Toronto to break up the cycle of suckage

Its also the reason why the new draft lotto is so horribly bad for the NHL. Itll just keep below average franchises in the bottom 10 for many years to come

Pittsburgh was able to find success after tanking so there is a precedence... What was lost with the current tanking teams is that two seasons later, the only returning penguins were Malone, Orpik, and Scuderi. The negative mindset of the players doesn't matter much if they are all released from the team before you start bringing up the youth.

Maliks PlusMinus

May 28, 2015
Glasgow, Scotland
Not one for tanking, but...
malkin-fleury-crosby.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: glovesave_35

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Could you imagine if some marginal NHL forward came out and said "McDavid and Matthews wouldn't have been able to put up points with my teammates"?

The Sabres were bad but they were bad when the 15 other goalies were making saves for Buffalo the past 5 seasons. Including Johnson himself a few seasons ago. He was terrible this season. Easily the worst goaltender Buffalo has had in many, many years... and we've had a lot of goalies. He almost makes Lehner look like a viable backup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad