Proposal: CGY-TOR

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Change every Leaf noun/adjactive to the Flame equivalent and you could argue the other way, i.e. Marner to Hamilton and change soft winger to soft D with brain farts....I don't see the incentive for "Tor".

Yeah Dougie isn't soft, and he doesn't make a lot of brain farts. Marner doesn't get Hamilton in the real world. Again, Marner is a great player, but his value alone does not equal Doug. Add the fact that the las thing the flames need is a player like Marner.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Yeah Dougie isn't soft, and he doesn't make a lot of brain farts. Marner doesn't get Hamilton in the real world. Again, Marner is a great player, but his value alone does not equal Doug. Add the fact that the las thing the flames need is a player like Marner.
Yeh, he really is. Like whipped butter soft.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Eh...pass.

I'm not the biggest Hamilton fan but I know that having him and Rielly holding down the 1st pair and all is good, but...

I rather trade Marner+ for Doughty with a handshake agreement he re-signs here than for Hamilton.
I hope the + you speak of is Rielly.

QcFlames12

Feb 1, 2012
Yupp really, not saying he is a beast or anything but when he leans into guys in the corners theres pratically no chance the guy comes out with the puck and not on his arse.

Dougie needs to learn to be more assertive yes but when he plays with an edge(half of the games per season) he is physical. Guys 6'6 for crying out loud, hard to move him period.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Gaudreau or Monahan maybe Tkachuk thats it and that wont happen so youre correct

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary

No he isn't, I'm not going to pretend to know more about TOs players then their fans. But I can tell you Hamilton is not soft. He's not overly physical, but when the time calls for it, he steps up and can lean hard on opposing players.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

The 'I haven't watched Dougie in 2 years since my team doesn't play Calgary as much as Boston' award goes to.... Drum roll.

Dougie's not soft. He takes guys hard to the boards at times, and he's physical in front of the net. This isn't the 20 year old anymore. This guy's a strong, strong dude too.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Get your head out of Marner's a** and watch some hockey

have watched every leafs game that marner has ever played, so I know what the leafs have. not too many 19 year olds get 61pts in 77 games as draft +1 rookies. Gaudreau by comparison managed 64pts in 80 games as a draft + 4 rookie.

Would you have been happy with a Gaudreau + 2nd for Hamilton move in the summer of 2015? of course not. he has nowhere near that value. Hamilton brough back a mid 1st, mid 2nd, late 2nd.

maybe try to come up with an intelligent response next time before spouting off?

Kybb79

Sep 13, 2016
Some of these comments comparing Marner to Johnny is hilarious. A guy with 5 goals this season is not worth Dougie. Is Marner still on the 4th line?

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
If Marner got traded for anything less than a superstud D then hell no. I dont even want to lose him or Willie for OEL. Plus for those not paying attention a one Drew Doughty is poised to become a FA and I truly think the Leafs throw a huge offer. That one player turns the leafs into a true cup contender. Cap goes to 80mill next yr and prob 85 the following when Mitch and Matthews are off ELC so this is doable. Plus Nylander is playing himself to get less than ehlers or exactly the same so even better. We dont need a star right now..unless the cost is on the money and at the deadline prices are sky high

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
On one hand, adding Marner to the 2nd line (and moving Frolik down) and paring him back with Tkachuk would make that line one of the most dangerous in all of hockey when you add in near-miss Selke candidate Backlund in between them.

On the other hand, trading a 24 year old Hamilton who has potentially more than decade of top pairing defensive hockey (and adds 50+ points a year from the back end) left in him is really hard to let go of.

The Flames have no one to replace Hamilton at the moment though and our defense which is finally getting going will be hugely gutted.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
I don't think anyone is negating Marner has great value. I wouldn't do dougie straight across for him just based on value alone. But add the fact that CGY has zero need for a player like Marner and this trade makes no sense for the flames. We upgrade our top 6 sure, but gut our top pairing and have no viable replacement for Hamilton.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Marner has two more even strength points than Hamilton so far this year on an offensively driven team. And Dougie is just warming up like he does every second half of the season.

I think there's a good chance he catches Marner in even strength points this year.

Why on earth would we trade away half of our fantastic top pairing for Marner who would play on our third line? Trades have to make sense for both teams and this just doesn't make any sense for Calgary.

Reactions: Dack

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
If Marner got traded for anything less than a superstud D then hell no. I dont even want to lose him or Willie for OEL. Plus for those not paying attention a one Drew Doughty is poised to become a FA and I truly think the Leafs throw a huge offer. That one player turns the leafs into a true cup contender. Cap goes to 80mill next yr and prob 85 the following when Mitch and Matthews are off ELC so this is doable. Plus Nylander is playing himself to get less than ehlers or exactly the same so even better. We dont need a star right now..unless the cost is on the money and at the deadline prices are sky high

I doubt they're going to be able to throw a huge offer with Mathews, Marner and Nylander coming up for contracts in the next few years. And I think that while its possible that the Cap is going up to $80 million at the end of the year, that its unlikely that the NHL will find another about $300 million dollars in revenues in the year after that to allow for a jump to $85.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I was completely on board with Marner for Hamilton, but it really looks like we need Hamilton more than we need Marner. Ferland grabbing that spot on the 1st line and Brouwer playing decent as of late helps us easily say no to this.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Good value for both teams but neither team does this. I see both teams trying to fill these needs from within/through the draft. I could see a trade like this from a lesser extent happening, something like Brown/Kapanen for Andersson.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
I was completely on board with Marner for Hamilton, but it really looks like we need Hamilton more than we need Marner. Ferland grabbing that spot on the 1st line and Brouwer playing decent as of late helps us easily say no to this.

Frankly I don't think Gaudreau and Marner should be on the same line either. Come play off time having two small guys out there could be a disadvantage. One you can cover for but with two that's a lot.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Am I missing something here? Hamilton has 8 goals and Marner has 5 this season. Flames pass with the emergence of Ferland.

Reactions: Big Erned Nevergivn

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Toronto is strong at RW and weak at RD, Calgary is the opposite which makes them good trading partners. Both teams probably don't wanna trade their top players so perhaps a deal centered around Connor Brown and Travis Hamonic? Brown would be Calgarys 2nd best RW and will be making only 2 million for two more seasons after this one.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Toronto is strong at RW and weak at RD, Calgary is the opposite which makes them good trading partners. Both teams probably don't wanna trade their top players so perhaps a deal centered around Connor Brown and Travis Hamonic? Brown would be Calgarys 2nd best RW and will be making only 2 million for two more seasons after this one.
Hasn't Hamonic been pretty lack luster playing with Brodie? Not sure if I'd target him considering what the Flames would expect in terms of assets and the fact he has struggled on the 2nd pair with a bonafide top 4 defender in Brodie.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
I don't think anyone is negating Marner has great value. I wouldn't do dougie straight across for him just based on value alone. But add the fact that CGY has zero need for a player like Marner and this trade makes no sense for the flames. We upgrade our top 6 sure, but gut our top pairing and have no viable replacement for Hamilton.

That's fair from the Flames perspective but from the Leafs perspective- we don't upgrade Marner for anything less than a legitimate top pairing D or a young D with analogous pedigree with some semblance of stability defensively. That is not Hamilton, while he is certainly a clear upgrade over Brodie/Hamonic and their longer periods, of instability, it's simply something we cannot trade a piece like Marner for. The only difference between all of the aforementioned is Gio's value may be underrated which how much he actually shelters everyone else on the back-end.

What this team needs more than anything in the back-end is stability. We'd have more interest in a Tanev than a Hamilton, both have their individual concerns (Tanev's may be more durability related). Hamilton, obviously has more trade value in a vaccuum but it doesn't actually fit a Leaf team need as much as the former.

While Hamilton is better than Gardiner/Brodie, etc. they are all on a similar plane of lethargic, "air-head" plays more often than not. High-risk plays that lead to mistakes are going to happen but at some point, you have to contribute that to a fundamental issue with the player moreso than high-event play. Ultimately, that's not something our young group can hang their hat on right now, which defeats the purpose of any interest we'd have beyond a "buy low option"- similar to how the Flames originally acquired Dougie.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Hasn't Hamonic been pretty lack luster playing with Brodie? Not sure if I'd target him considering what the Flames would expect in terms of assets and the fact he has struggled on the 2nd pair with a bonafide top 4 defender in Brodie.

I think it was the other way around. Brodie was struggling and was making Hamonic look bad.

They've both been great for almost two months now. Completely turned it around.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad