Proposal: Cgy-Phi / Cgy-NJ (Gaudreau/offseason)

IGGY2JOHNNY

Apr 22, 2018
Trade #1
Flames:
Johnny Gaudreau (Signed to extension)

For

Philadelphia:
Nicolas Aube-Kubel
Nolan Patrick
Shayne Ghostisbehere
1st
  • I think the Flames will be put in a position where they have to move Johnny this summer and unfortunately with the cap issues league wide, I’m not sure the market for him will be huge but I’ve long thought he was eventually going to be Philly bound. He’s never hid his love for the city and his BFF (Hayes) is signed there long term so I could even see Johnny taking a bit of a pay cut on his next contract to play in Philly long term. Flames get a young solid bottom 6 forward and Alberta boy which Sutter loves in Aube-Kubel + a former top prospect in Patrick that is looking more and more like a bust but still has top 6 potential and hopefully a change of scenery can help him + a 1st and a young defenseman who was once highly regarded but has clearly fallen out of favor.
Trade #2
Flames:
Shayne Ghostisbehere

For

Devils:
Andreas Johnsson
2022 4th
  • unless the Flames move one of their current top 4 D, they likely can’t afford Ghostisbehere and take him in the Philly deal just to help facilitate salaries. They immediately flip him to New Jersey who can use him to replace Murray on the back end next year and also move on from a player that just hasn’t fit with them this year. They add one of their 3 2022 4ths. Calgary saves some salary in this deal and get a top 9 forward back who I think can bounce back in a different system. Plus we all know the Flames love their Swedes
Thoughts??

*OvechKiN*

Nov 29, 2005
That would be bad for the Flames. Johnny isn’t a franchise winger, but he is a secondary top line player still. He was decent in the playoffs vs Dallas, but it’s not easy being double teamed all the time at his size.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
That would be bad for the Flames. Johnny isn’t a franchise winger, but he is a secondary top line player still. He was decent in the playoffs vs Dallas, but it’s not easy being double teamed all the time at his size.

Basically this. Flames fans are notoriously finicky and impatient. Gaudreau hasn't kept them from winning a single playoff series. He backchecked hard against Winnipeg defensively and was the main reason on PP was good in the playoffs. He's legit our only player who is 100% a first liner. So trading him just makes the team even more mediocre. What people need to understand about the Flames is our team is real young for the most part. If our youngsters develop the way we hope, we could be dangerous in a few years. But not without a gamebreaker like Gaudreau. We get rid of him we're just going to be making 100s of proposals to get a Gaudreau type back later on.

Also the value on this trade doesn't interest the Flames one bit.

Reactions: Traptor

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
People regularly post trades involving a player who is re-signed, in real life this almost never happens. Players like Subban and Carter were traded shortly after extending but they were blindsided. It doesn't make a lot of sense for the player, he makes his new team weaker by increasing his value and leaves himself at the mercy of the selling team. It's better for the player to just go UFA and choose their own path.

I don't think Gaudreau is going to re-sign in Calgary, pretty sure he will be traded in the offseason before his NTC kicks in. If he does decide to sign an extension in Calgary it will almost guaranteed have a NTC to avoid this sort of thing.

IGGY2JOHNNY

Apr 22, 2018
People regularly post trades involving a player who is re-signed, in real life this almost never happens. Players like Subban and Carter were traded shortly after extending but they were blindsided. It doesn't make a lot of sense for the player, he makes his new team weaker by increasing his value and leaves himself at the mercy of the selling team. It's better for the player to just go UFA and choose their own path.

I don't think Gaudreau is going to re-sign in Calgary, pretty sure he will be traded in the offseason before his NTC kicks in. If he does decide to sign an extension in Calgary it will almost guaranteed have a NTC to avoid this sort of thing.
I wasn’t saying he would resign in Calgary and then get traded. I meant to imply I think Philly would have an easy time extending him and if granted permission, could probably even hash out a deal before the trade is actually made.

As for the flames fans saying no to trading Johnny. I would love to keep him too, but it all comes down to his willingness to sign long term and I don’t think any of us are 100% sure where is mind is at regarding that subject. The scenario of trading him only plays out if he lets management know he plans to test UFA after next year. If he’s willing to resign, then 100% I’d look in to that option first. I’m just throwing theoreticals out if the flames hands are forced and I think they could do worse then this haul. They get 3 young players who would all play in their top 9 next season plus a 1st this year which could be a decent pick as well with Philly currently on the outside of the playoff picture.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
PHI has a glaring hole in terms of first pairing RD where they will most likely have to spend a lot to improve.
Until that isn't fixed I can't see them blink and even then a major contract likely will have to be moved out to make space.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I jave no interest in Johnny in Philly if for the only reason that AV will have no idea what to so with him. He has a demonstrated talent for absolutely neutering offensive creativity.

Value wise, short of that pick being top 5, it's probably not enticing from Calgarys side, either.

Reactions: BernieParent

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
I just don't quite see the argument for NJ trading two (though relatively low) assets for Ghost when they could've just picked him up off waivers a few weeks ago.

They obviously had the cap space then to make the claim. I guess the blue line was a little crowded, but we knew a couple vets were going to be dealt. Johnsson has been a bit of a bust in Ruff's system this year, so I guess the suggestion is that they'd be looking to offload his contract already? I guess if NJ could keep the 4th I'd do it.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
I just don't quite see the argument for NJ trading two (though relatively low) assets for Ghost when they could've just picked him up off waivers a few weeks ago.

They obviously had the cap space then to make the claim. I guess the blue line was a little crowded, but we knew a couple vets were going to be dealt. Johnsson has been a bit of a bust in Ruff's system this year, so I guess the suggestion is that they'd be looking to offload his contract already? I guess if NJ could keep the 4th I'd do it.

I think the appeal is getting rid of Johnsson's contract, although based on Fitz's press conference, he still likes Johnsson so... yikes.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
As a Flames fan I really dislike this.

Trade Monahan and keep Johnny.

I would like Monahan in LA. How about a deal to bring some Calgary products home? JAD + Wagner + Pittsburgh conditional 3rd (would be a 2nd if they reach the finals)

Some kings fans will say I am nuts to deal JAD, but i just don't see him in the top 6 in LA longterm. Great prospect and like the player, just see him lost in the shuffle.

Ledge And Dairy

I would like Monahan in LA. How about a deal to bring some Calgary products home? JAD + Wagner + Pittsburgh conditional 3rd (would be a 2nd if they reach the finals)

Some kings fans will say I am nuts to deal JAD, but i just don't see him in the top 6 in LA longterm. Great prospect and like the player, just see him lost in the shuffle.
You overvalue JAD to much here, thats a very underwhelming offer and may just get sorted into Treliving's spam mail

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
You overvalue JAD to much here, thats a very underwhelming offer and may just get sorted into Treliving's spam mail

fair, was only like 20% serious on it just hoping to get someone desperate enough to say yes haha...should have waited till after a Flames loss

hidek91

Jan 13, 2014
Warsaw, PL
I wouldn't do that as a NJD fan, Johnsson is somewhat useful in the bottom six and Ghost would bring nothing to the table. Replacing DFD Murray in OFD Ghost? Makes zero sense. Pass.

Ledge And Dairy

fair, was only like 20% serious on it just hoping to get someone desperate enough to say yes haha...should have waited till after a Flames loss
You'll only get that answer you seeked out of our 2-3 clowns on this site. The ones that think Monahan should play 3rd/4th line wing and Bennett was just being held back by management and was actually a legitimate 1C

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
You'll only get that answer you seeked out of our 2-3 clowns on this site. The ones that think Monahan should play 3rd/4th line wing and Bennett was just being held back by management and was actually a legitimate 1C
Monahan is overrated. He's a very average 2nd line center.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
What happened to Johnsson? I swear 1 year ago Leafs fans told me he would be Calgary's 1st line LW if traded there

Ooh, i would like to know what role Johnsson looked like a 1LW in, and more importantly if it’s possible to recreate that role without Matthews, Marner, Tavares, and and Nylander on my team.

because man oh man could we ever use a 1LW.

Reactions: Ledge And Dairy

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00
    Event closes