Proposal: CGY - OTT

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
If Tkachuk has a contract signed then yes. Two Tkachuks on one team would be to fun to pass up.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
CGY: Matthew Tkachuk
OTT: 7th overall pick, 2nd round pick, Alex Formenton, and Ridly Greig (any prospect really out of Sanderson)

flame away
If he’s moved there’s Grade A assets coming back. There’s only one in your offer.

Ottawa would probably have to offer the 2022 7th overall, 2023 1st, and yea, Sanderson. It’s going to have to be a huge price. Maybe even more than that.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
If he’s moved there’s Grade A assets coming back. There’s only one in your offer.

Ottawa would probably have to offer the 2022 7th overall, 2023 1st, and yea, Sanderson. It’s going to have to be a huge price. Maybe even more than that.
Could you imagine the fallout from that trade? Dorion fired instantly lol.

Here's the reality though - Calgary likely flips him for a 1st and good prospect at the deadline as he'll remain unsigned.

Keep in mind his salary expectations are going to be out of this world on top of the assets given up.

Quite frankly I don't see a team willing to part with anything close to what you are suggesting.

7th overall, 2nd, Greig is probably the max I'd be willing to give up. No need for any franchise to ruin their cap structure or future over one guy unless he's McDavid.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Could you imagine the fallout from that trade? Dorion fired instantly lol.

Here's the reality though - Calgary likely flips him for a 1st and good prospect at the deadline as he'll remain unsigned.

Keep in mind his salary expectations are going to be out of this world on top of the assets given up.

Quite frankly I don't see a team willing to part with anything close to what you are suggesting.

7th overall, 2nd, Greig is probably the max I'd be willing to give up. No need for any franchise to ruin their cap structure or future over one guy unless he's McDavid.
Nobody makes these types of trades unless they know they’ll be able to sign him. We just seen it with Fiala, and we will see it with Tkachuk, Bertuzzi, etc.

100% the most overly abused “take” we hear on HF. “He’s not worth your package because he only has one year left.” It’s actually very rare when a team gives up a huge package for a top end player, and that player walks.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002

You are going to be one reaaaally disappointed dude if they trade him somewhere.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
Nobody makes these types of trades unless they know they’ll be able to sign him. We just seen it with Fiala, and we will see it with Tkachuk, Bertuzzi, etc.

100% the most overly abused “take” we hear on HF. “He’s not worth your package because he only has one year left.” It’s actually very rare when a team gives up a huge package for a top end player, and that player walks.
I agree with you. That doesn't happen a lot nowadays. Here's the problem - it's Matthew Tkachuk. He's likely walking himself all the way to UFA. This is why you can't really ask full extended value for the guy and why I anticipate Flames fans being disappointed in the return.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018

What’s the grade A asset? 7th? I wouldn’t be surprised at all if many teams value (Ottawa included) value Grieg and/or Formenton very similarly to the 7th.

Either way I think it could be beat if he’s extended (I’m looking at NJD) but I see 3/4 assets there as relatively close.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
7th+Greig+JBD+2nd+a bit of money going back easily gets Tkachuk with 1 year left. Every GM in the league would take that.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Flames would be better off holding out for one elite young piece like Sanderson, Power, Boldy etc. They could do better quality wise. Those are a lot of good but not great assets IMO.

Also I like how every team is signing Matt Tkachuk in free agency 2023.

Stevedave22

Jun 14, 2014
I would assume the return would be similar to what Ottawa got for Karlsson. 7 OA, Brown (Tierney), Brannstrom (DeMelo), Former 1st round pick JBD/Thomson/Grieg/Boucher (Norris) and a 2nd. Nice haul for the flames and would be huge for the Sens marketing. Give Matthew a similar contract to Brady and boom.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Wouldn't be too surprised if he's traded to ottawa tomorrow.
Its a perfect fit in ottawa, they have tons of prospects and the 7th overall they're interested in moving for an impact player...

Two firsts and Sanderson is pretty laughable but i could see multiple prospects and 7th overall, the OP is pretty close.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
In your dreams. We'll just wait until he hits UFA

Calgary doesn't have leverage here; just like Ottawa with Stone. He'll sign a 1-year deal and go to Ottawa if he wants to play with his little brother.
Ya I’m sure he will choose Ottawa if he hits UFA over all the other teams that would be trying to sign him. He’s definitely gonna choose Ottawa, the team that plays in Kanata and doesn’t give out signing bonuses. Just like all those other big name free agents that Ottawa signed.

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
Now it's kinda feeling a trade to Ottawa is a possibility if CGY wants to tear it down. I think a good idea would be a conditional 1st in 2024, if Tkachuk is still on the Ottawa roster in 23-24, they get the 1st.

7th overall
Connor Brown (flip for 1st at the deadline)
Lassi/Branny/JBD (former 1st round RD all near NHL ready)
Ostapchuk/Jarventie/SOKOLOV (worth 2nds)
Del Zotto (cap)
*conditional 2024 1st if Tkachuk doesn't bolt as a UFA
2022 TBL 2nd

Obviously trying to avoid trading Pinto/Greig but they're obviously far from untouchable, would just prefer it to be a lesser package around them but beggars can't be choosers

Mr Kot

Jan 15, 2022
That's more than enough for him. Surprised anybody would say no to that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad