Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
To Minnesota:
2019 1st (CGY)
RW Austin Czarnik

To Calgary:
RW Charlie Coyle
2019 2nd (MIN)

I really want to see what players are still available when it's our turn to pick before trading them away. Coyle is a nice piece that I'd love on the Flames, but again I want to see what players are available when it's our turn to pick before trading the piece. If one of Soderstrom, Seider, Honka, or Leason is still available, I'd much rather have them than Coyle.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
Fantastic proposal. Wild needs to a 1st to properly balance this fleece.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Love Coyle, but only way we can take him on is by sending some salary back like Frolik. Not sure MIN would be interested. Also, Coyle is worth more than the OP suggests. I'd say a 1st, and not a low 1st like ours, more mid range.

FrodoBeggins

Jun 26, 2016
Kerch
Late first round for Coyle? This is not even funny. Rasmus Andersson + 1th Round + Emilio pettersen for Coyle + 3 round

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Late first round for Coyle? This is not even funny. Rasmus Andersson + 1th Round + Emilio pettersen for Coyle + 3 round

Wouldn't do it...Would do one of Kylington or Andersson alone. They hold a lot of value for young promising dmen. Both can play at a solid level already and they are only 21 and 22. In addition we would need to send salary back.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
And the Flames cap is through the roof, how are you planning on absorbing 5M?
What 5M? Coyle makes 3.2.

Coyle is playing C, and looking good there. I've always thought that was his best position. It allows him to carry the puck through the neutral zone and get up a head of steam. He's pretty impressive then...powerful.

Bottom line is with Coyle is that the Wild won't be moving him unless they get a C back. If he is moved, I would think it would likely be as part of a package for a better C.

Zucker, Nino, and assorted 4th line chumps-available! Fehr has actually been decent.

Last edited:
Reactions: 16thOverallSaveUs

Goose312

May 15, 2015
If the Wild trade Coyle it's going to likely be for a roster player. If they do pursue only picks a late 1st giving up a 2nd isn't the best offer. Even taking out the 2nd, given Coyle's low cap hit with an extra season left and his utility I doubt a late 1st is all they get back.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I could see Coyle being pretty valuable. Teams want guys they can retain. The contract adds a lot to a guy that already has decent value.

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
I like Coyle a lot but I don’t know about trading first round picks.

Flames can deal from their backlog on D. They can move one of the young guys. Imo MN needs help up front.

Moving Coyle would be a step backwards.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
If we're giving up on this season, and are exploring trade options for Staal, Spurgeon, Nino, Zucker and Brodin as well, I wouldn't be opposed to something around 1st+Andersson/Kylington/Valimaaki (though I'd imagine Valimaaki is valued higher than the other two) for Coyle or Staal, with additions where necessary. Those are three good young defensemen who could step in immediately and continue getting better, and we could explore getting center help via another trade.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007

Too much. I agree that Coyle is being undervalued here, but Andersson is a solid young d-man playing in the NHL who looks like he easily has the potential for more. He has the value of a 1st. So you're basically asking for multiple firsts for Coyle, which is too much.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
If we're giving up on this season, and are exploring trade options for Staal, Spurgeon, Nino, Zucker and Brodin as well, I wouldn't be opposed to something around 1st+Andersson/Kylington/Valimaaki (though I'd imagine Valimaaki is valued higher than the other two) for Coyle or Staal, with additions where necessary. Those are three good young defensemen who could step in immediately and continue getting better, and we could explore getting center help via another trade.
I think it crazy to trade Brodin and Spurgeon, unless MN gets overpayment back. If they are getting overpayment, then EVERYONE is on the table.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I think it crazy to trade Brodin and Spurgeon, unless MN gets overpayment back. If they are getting overpayment, then EVERYONE is on the table.

I question if we'll even be able to keep Spurgeon anyway, with Suter and Dumba making 7.5M and 6M each. Brodin's at 4.1M and probably gets a slight raise in a couple years, and we have Belpedio or the Johansson's that could step in on a much cheaper contract. I mean, it seems like the writing is on the wall that Spurgeon, as underrated and good as he is, may not have a place in Minnesota when his contract is over.

Spurgeon, like most other players on this roster, should be eligible to be moved for the right and fair price, not just for an overpayment.

And again, getting a guy like Andersson back would help immediately make Spurgeon more available, rather than waiting and hoping Johansson's/Belpedio figure it out sooner. Kylington and certainly Valimaaki would make Brodin more available.

Reactions: Bazeek

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I question if we'll even be able to keep Spurgeon anyway, with Suter and Dumba making 7.5M and 6M each. Brodin's at 4.1M and probably gets a slight raise in a couple years, and we have Belpedio or the Johansson's that could step in on a much cheaper contract. I mean, it seems like the writing is on the wall that Spurgeon, as underrated and good as he is, may not have a place in Minnesota when his contract is over.

Spurgeon, like most other players on this roster, should be eligible to be moved for the right and fair price, not just for an overpayment.

And again, getting a guy like Andersson back would help immediately make Spurgeon more available, rather than waiting and hoping Johansson's/Belpedio figure it out sooner. Kylington and certainly Valimaaki would make Brodin more available.

I have no idea where that writing is written.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017

I imagine Calgary moves one of Kylington or Valimaki before Andersson juste because they don’t have much on the right side after Andersson. As you mentioned Valimaki has more value than Kylington

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I have no idea where that writing is written.

We signed Dumba for 6M per year, Fenton drafted two RD’s, including reaching for one in the first round, and we probably don’t want to be paying our top-4 23M+ annually.

Not to mention the expansion draft in two summers will likely take one of the top-4 anyway unless we make another deal to protect them. In any case, it’ll put us in another bind to have to protect 4 high quality defensemen.

It sure seems more and more like Spurgeon ends up as the odd man out.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
We signed Dumba for 6M per year, Fenton drafted two RD’s, including reaching for one in the first round, and we probably don’t want to be paying our top-4 23M+ annually.

Not to mention the expansion draft in two summers will likely take one of the top-4 anyway unless we make another deal to protect them. In any case, it’ll put us in another bind to have to protect 4 high quality defensemen.

It sure seems more and more like Spurgeon ends up as the odd man out.

Signing one top 4 RD long-term doesn't mean the only other one you have is on the outs.

Drafting a RD in the 5th round has zero bearing on a current NHL top 4 RD and, like you said, the 1st rounder was a reach that can't be counted on.

$23 million for a good top 4 is supremely doable with an $80+ million cap when you don't have any $10+ million forwards or goalies to pay for.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad