Waived: [CGY] Ilya Solovyov waived by the Flames (cleared)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Calgary goes from 9th worst to entering the year likely 6th worst. Bottom 5 should all stay bottom 5 coming into the year. Huge gap between bottom five and everyone else last year in terms of goal differential, so even if some of those teams improve, it probably won't be too dramatic.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Calgary goes from 9th worst to entering the year likely 6th worst. Bottom 5 should all stay bottom 5 coming into the year. Huge gap between bottom five and everyone else last year in terms of goal differential, so even if some of those teams improve, it probably won't be too dramatic.
Markstrom was very good last year and the only thing keeping the Flames out of the bottom 5. Would be very surprised if the Flames finish outside the bottom 5.

Ledge And Dairy

Give us markstron, tanev, and hanifin and we're a wild card team.

A bottom three team in Anaheim better see MacTavish have a Hughes type leap of they're improving that much
I'm not expecting Anaheim to jump us but you are ignoring a lot of players besides McTavish.

We also lost Zadorov and Lindholm, Lindholm was leading the league in TOI% against elite competition when we traded him. Sure his production wasn't great but him eating those minutes played a huge part in why the Kadri line just got to feast on 3rd and 4th liners all year.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
I'm not expecting Anaheim to jump us but you are ignoring a lot of players besides McTavish.

We also lost Zadorov and Lindholm, Lindholm was leading the league in TOI% against elite competition when we traded him. Sure his production wasn't great but him eating those minutes played a huge part in why the Kadri line just got to feast on 3rd and 4th liners all year.

I honestly didn't even notice Lindholm leaving. He had given up. Hanifin and Tanev leaving was earth shattering haha. Whole team fell apart without them. Pachal and Hanley getting top 4 minutes was ugly.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
This is gonna be a long couple of years for you my guy.
I mean we can hope for better but still expect to suck. I fully expect the team to be top 3, but f***ed if I'm not cheering for an 82-0 season and a Stanley Cup. Hope for the best, expect the worst.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Ledge And Dairy

I don't think that's entirely accurate. San Jose probably stays where they are but Chicago went from Bedard being the only top 6 bonafide caliber forward to Bedard, Hall, Bertuzzi, and Teravainen. They also have a much improved d-core. Anaheim and Columbus probably aren't much better but that all depends on their young stars taking that next step. We saw how fast New Jersey went from bottom feeding to competing. Montreal will more than likely be better than Calgary this year.

Reactions: Bjornar Moxnes

lettuceAA

Dec 16, 2010
I mean we can hope for better but still expect to suck. I fully expect the team to be top 3, but f***ed if I'm not cheering for an 82-0 season and a Stanley Cup. Hope for the best, expect the worst.

Agree with this. Conroy has done everything right the past few seasons. Moved aging FA's out for yount talent, prospects and picks. I still think Flames have a better season than most people think.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
I still think Flames have a better season than most people think.
People keep saying this... but why? The Flames were tied for 8th worst last year and their opening day lineup will probably see these changes from last season

Markstrom to Vladar
Tanev to Bahl
Hanifin to Miromanov
Zadorov to Bean
Gilbert to (probably Barrie)
Oesterle to Hanley
Vacant Roster spot to Tinordi
Mangiapane to Mantha
Lindholm to Kuzmenko
Dube to Zary
Greer to Lomberg
Ruzicka to Pospisil
Hunt or Duehr to Pelletier

Goaltending will be worse.
Defense will be significantly worse.
Top 6 is about the same but only because Lindholm really struggled last year. (that might be generous because it seems unlikely Sharangovich and Kadri repeat their performances this year)
Bottom 6 is slightly better.

We finished 23rd in GA last year... and our goal prevention has gotten much much worse. We are going to be bottom 3 in goals against, I fully expect up to allow another half goal a game over the season... and then below average in GF (17-21 range again). Our PK which was a strength is going to take a major hit without Tanev and Markstrom. The PP I expect to be terrible again, I really think the fit of the on-personnel is more of a problem than the coach

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
People keep saying this... but why? The Flames were tied for 8th worst last year and their opening day lineup will probably see these changes from last season

Markstrom to Vladar
Tanev to Bahl
Hanifin to Miromanov
Zadorov to Bean
Oesterle to Hanley
Mangiapane to Mantha
Lindholm to Kuzmenko
Dube to Zary
Greer to Lomberg
Ruzicka to Pospisil

Goaltending will be worse.
Defense will be significantly worse.
Top 6 is about the same but only because Lindholm really struggled last year. (that might be generous because it seems unlikely Sharangovich and Kadri repeat their performances this year)
Bottom 6 is slightly better.

We finished 23rd in GA last year... and our goal prevention has gotten much much worse. We are going to be bottom 3 in goals against, I fully expect up to allow another half goal a game over the season... and then below average in GF (17-21 range again). Our PK which was a strength is going to take a major hit without Tanev and Markstrom. The PP I expect to be terrible again, I really think the fit of the on-personnel is more of a problem than the coach

Our defense today is leagues better than it was the last few months of last year. Like ya, this team isn't as good as the team from November to January last year. That team should have been in the playoffs but our PP and 1C sucked. By the end of the year the PP was actually pretty solid though. They finally started clicking and Kuzmenko fit like a glove.

Top 2 defense is solid, bottom pairing I think will be solid. Can we find a 2nd pairing that works? I don't know, might take some time but that's not some unheard of task. Miromanov, Bean, and Bahl have a chance of being an adequate 2nd pairing filler. If the Weegar and Miromanov line actually works, it gets a lot easier. Our defense at the end was better than I expected and we were playing Pachal and Hanley 20 minutes a night a few times. Those should be our #7 and #8 this year. I don't see this as a bottom 3 defense. We still have two top pairing guys.

Offense is just straight up better imo. I thought we improved when we got rid of Lindholm. Guy was a distraction and clearly didn't give a shit.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
I thought we improved when we got rid of Lindholm. Guy was a distraction and clearly didn't give a shit.
This is the kinda shit that makes me completely ignore everything you ever say. It's a straight up f***ing lie. Yeah he was struggling offensively, but if you actually watched and paid attention to the games you have seen him busting his ass defensively every night until he was moved.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
This is the kinda shit that makes me completely ignore everything you ever say. It's a straight up f***ing lie. Yeah he was struggling offensively, but if you actually watched and paid attention to the games you have seen him busting his ass defensively every night until he was moved.

I'm a season ticket holder, well I split them. But ya I watched well over 70 games last year and have since he got traded to us. That is not the Lindholm that I've watched for years, in 18/19 I argued with people that he was our best player. I was wrong.

How are we going to replace his 5 even strength goals in 50 games is not a season altering concern. Our scoring went up after he got traded. Obviously our defense was way worse but I noticed no drop offensively from Lindholm leaving. Shit give them some proper defense and scoring would have gone up more. Actual goals, expected goals, moneypuck, eye test. What am I missing here?

Last edited:

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
Shit I'm a season ticket holder, well I split them. But ya I watched well over 70 games last year and have since he got traded to us. That is not the Lindholm that I've watched for years, in 18/19 I argued with people that he was our best player. I was wrong.

How are we going to replace his 5 even strength goals in 50 games is not a season altering concern. Our scoring went up after he got traded. Obviously our defense was way worse but I noticed no drop offensively from Lindholm leaving. Actual goals, expected goals, moneypuck, eye test. What am I missing here?
and again all you talk about is offense...

you should invest your money in something you actually understand then... maybe velcro shoes, because the sound will make you giggle.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
and again all you talk about is offense...

you should invest your money in something you actually understand then... maybe velcro shoes, because the sound will make you giggle.

Yes I want offense from a 1C. Our whole issue was we couldn't score.

Backlund is straight up better defensively than Lindholm. He always has been. They got the same amount of even strength points while Backlund destroyed him analytically.

Why did our power play improve so drastically when our 1C got traded?

Bond

May 10, 2012
PTSD from all the just get in and anything can happen years

lettuceAA

Dec 16, 2010

Markstrom to Vladar
Tanev to Bahl
Hanifin to Miromanov
Zadorov to Bean
Oesterle to Hanley
Mangiapane to Mantha
Lindholm to Kuzmenko
Dube to Zary
Greer to Lomberg
Ruzicka to Pospisil

All of the players on the left have peaked or on the decline while majority of the right should continue to prove. Admittedly losing Hanifin hurts the team. All of the rest are fine if Bahl, Wolf, Zary, Pospisil, Pelletier continue to develop and improve along with the chemistry of the 1st line and Kuzenko on the PP.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
All of the players on the left have peaked or on the decline while majority of the right should continue to prove. Admittedly losing Hanifin hurts the team. All of the rest are fine if Bahl, Wolf, Zary, Pospisil, Pelletier continue to develop and improve along with the chemistry of the 1st line and Kuzenko on the PP.
what does them "peaking" have to do with anything... the players are the right are lesser players than the others were last season. The team is significantly worse, especially defensively which has 2 top 4 defensemen and maybe a #5 in Bahl. It's a giant steaming pile of shit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad