Proposal: CGY - FLA

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
:panthers
Juuso Valimaki

:flames
Owen Tippett

Change of scenery move for two former 2017 1st round picks that fills gaps for both teams. Calgary gets a much needed RHS RW that can play in the top 9, Panthers get a solid young LHD who should be able to slot into their bottom pair.

Thoughts?

Reactions: Gentle Man

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I'd do it from a Flames perspective. Value is fairly close and addresses needs for both teams even though both teams would likely prefer to fill the hole with more of a sure thing in an expiring veteran.

Reactions: NinjaTurtle

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I'd do it from a Flames perspective. Value is fairly close and addresses needs for both teams even though both teams would likely prefer to fill the hole with more of a sure thing in an expiring veteran.
Yeah, I think the idea is that this helps to partially fill the hole at a lower cost + opens up space for these young guys to take advantage of opportunity. But it also still leaves space for these holes the be further filled in with other veteran moves.

Gaudreau - Lindholm - Tkachuk
Mangiapane - Backlund - Tippett
Coleman - Monahan - Dube
Lucic - Ruzicka - Lewis

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
If it's on the table without a major add, I'm listening. Flames have horrific RW depth and Valimaki suddenly finds himself stuck in a potential LD logjam along with Mackey and a few others.

Plenty Flames players do great after leaving and the Panthers I believe have been happy with the last two former Flames they've picked up.

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Prefer to make a run at a more proven scorer when spending Valimaki

don’t know enough about Tippett to see if this would be a smart or dumb gamble

Reactions: PROUD PAPA

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Assuming Tippett continues to develop and becomes what he is projected to be, Tippett is exactly what the Flames need. Big bodied and aggressive RW who can put up 60 points. Tippett isn't getting the playing time he needs in Florida, could be a reverse Bennett trade. Strangely enough, it would be Bennett making Tippett expendable that results in this trade.

Good karma for both teams. Make it happen.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
:panthers
Juuso Valimaki

:flames
Owen Tippett

Change of scenery move for two former 2017 1st round picks that fills gaps for both teams. Calgary gets a much needed RHS RW that can play in the top 9, Panthers get a solid young LHD who should be able to slot into their bottom pair.

Thoughts?
Bad deal for the Panthers. Valimaki is currently a minor leaguer and not progressing. He hasn’t impressed since his knee injury and can’t hold down an NHL roster spot.

If I’m the Panthers, I’m shopping an already legit NHL level Tippett for a better change of scenery defender in the same age range. Maybe Ty Smith. Calen Addison.

I think Florida can do better than Valimaki. There are better prospects out there for Tippett.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Bad deal for the Panthers. Valimaki is currently a minor leaguer and not progressing. He hasn’t impressed since his knee injury and can’t hold down an NHL roster spot.

If I’m the Panthers, I’m shopping an already legit NHL level Tippett for a better change of scenery defender in the same age range. Maybe Ty Smith. Calen Addison.
Valimaki would be in the NHL if the Flames weren't so deep at LD.

Hanifin and Kylington are both top pairing quality LD, and Zadorov sucks but the Flames kinda have to play him.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Valimaki would be in the NHL if the Flames weren't so deep at LD.

Hanifin and Kylington are both top pairing quality LD, and Zadorov sucks but the Flames kinda have to play him.

But he’s not in the NHL. He’s in Stockton and not playing particularly well there either. He’s 23 years old and making no NHL impact. What’s his ceiling? Bottom pair? His floor seems kinda low too.

there are simply several better young defenders than him the Panthers should target if they’re trading away Tippett.

Reactions: spot

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014

Oilers seal of approval if they don't like the trade. If the Panthers are in on this trade, it'll be extra nice. :)

If Flames need to sweeten the deal... what about someone like Dube? Not even joking, some Flames fans considered him Bennett 2.0 for a bit when he was doing slightly better than Bennett on the same line as him. Dube is something in between Heineman (the prospect you traded us) and Bennett lite. Bennett doesn't seem to do as well on wing (better at C), Dube is OK playing all 3 positions, but due to Flames depth usually ends up as a swing wing.

In all honesty, what Zito has done for the Panthers is great. It also kinda eats away at me that the blueprint of what you guys have right now basically looks like a superior version of what it seems like Treliving/Burke drafted up years ago, but basically had to attempt to do as a rebuild on the fly.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Oilers seal of approval if they don't like the trade. If the Panthers are in on this trade, it'll be extra nice. :)

If Flames need to sweeten the deal... what about someone like Dube? Not even joking, some Flames fans considered him Bennett 2.0 for a bit when he was doing slightly better than Bennett on the same line as him. Dube is something in between Heineman (the prospect you traded us) and Bennett lite. Bennett doesn't seem to do as well on wing (better at C), Dube is OK playing all 3 positions, but due to Flames depth usually ends up as a swing wing.

In all honesty, what Zito has done for the Panthers is great. It also kinda eats away at me that the blueprint of what you guys have right now basically looks like a superior version of what it seems like Treliving/Burke drafted up years ago, but basically had to attempt to do as a rebuild on the fly.
I’m an Avs fan that watches a lot of Panthers hockey.

Tippett is decent. Scored again last night. Good skater, good size. Some scoring IQ. Skates into the dirty areas to search for cheap goals.

Valimaki is like Kaut to me. This prospect that has stalled out in his current organization, that’s no longer trending up. He needs to be traded for another AHL level player of the same caliber.

Tippett > Valimaki.

Reactions: spot

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
But he’s not in the NHL. He’s in Stockton and not playing particularly well there either. He’s 23 years old and making no NHL impact.

there are simply several better young defenders than him the Panthers should target if they’re trading away Tippett.
Huh? He's got 7p in 11gp and is +3.

Just "being in the NHL" isn't inherently valuable. There are plenty of defenseman who are holding down NHL spots who Valimaki would be ahead of in the depth charts.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Valimaki has 7 points in 11 games but he's also taken almost 40 shots on goal. He's snakebitten not struggling, there is a difference.

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011

I think Florida can do better than Valimaki. There are better prospects out there for Tippett.

If you could get Ty Smith for Tippett I'm sure the Panthers should do that. Could they also get Draisaitl for Hornqvist?

If you're talking Ty Smith then you're giving up Lundell, not Tippett. Valimaki is a better prospect than Addison. Most real NHL teams realize you need guys who can defend at least a little bit.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Sure. Don't really love it, don't really hate it, so the value is probably about right. Really not in a rush to give up on Valimaki, his shit injury luck has slowed his development but I still consider him a safe bet to be a impact top 4 D at some point.

We do badly need a capable cheap young RW.

CF Magic

Jan 30, 2022
Calgary
Unfortunately the log jam at LD right now for the Flames makes Valimaki expendable if we can improve our RW needs. If we replace him with Tippet, then ironically the future replacement for Valimaki is Jeremie Poirier who is eerily similar looking to Tippet.

Tippet:
upload_2022-2-1_12-30-8.png

Poirier:
upload_2022-2-1_12-29-53.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad