Confirmed Signing with Link: [CGY] D Tyson Barrie signs with the Flames (1 year, $1.25M)

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I'm sure if any team of note wanted him he'd be signed by them. Losing 50 games this year in Calgary probably wasn't on his bucket list. :laugh::laugh::laugh:
Still dreaming about signing Rasmus Andersson to fill that gaping hole in your top 4 eh? LOL.

Ledge And Dairy

Some players improve in their late 20s. Most of the guys that are borderline players at 25 fail to ever become NHL regulars. Odds are there won't be a single guy from the Flames D-core still on the team when they make the playoffs again.

This signing is better than nothing for the Flames, but why pretend like he is sheltering prospects? The Flames don't have any D prospects on their roster.
Weegar has 7 more years on his contract. Calgary will absolutely make the playoffs in that time.
If they are NHL level defenders they will be sheltering Barrie not the other way around. Since when has Barrie sheltered anyone? Can't expect basic common sense from you though. :laugh:
He is not sheltering the guys playing on the Flames roster, he is sheltering the. From having to call a player up who should be playing full time in the AHL. Those prospects will learn a lot more playing 20 minutes a night on a strong team in the AHL than they would playing 10 a night on a bad team in the NHL.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Weegar has 7 more years on his contract. Calgary will absolutely make the playoffs in that time.
Maybe they will. I wouldn't bet my house on it. They will be getting worse before they get better. The only good players they have left are Kadri, Coleman, Backlund, Weegar, and Anderson. Most of those guys are aging out. Anderson is probably just going to leave. It is going to take time to build anything back up after the earth is scorched.
He is not sheltering the guys playing on the Flames roster, he is sheltering the. From having to call a player up who should be playing full time in the AHL. Those prospects will learn a lot more playing 20 minutes a night on a strong team in the AHL than they would playing 10 a night on a bad team in the NHL.
Still not sure what you are talking about here? Flames have a tonne of warm bodies on D. They have 2 top four guys, and then 7 guys between the ages of 24-35 who are essentially number 7 D-men. Not sure why they would have to call up one of their 3 actual D prospects from the farm team.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Maybe they will. I wouldn't bet my house on it. They will be getting worse before they get better. The only good players they have left are Kadri, Coleman, Backlund, Weegar, and Anderson. Most of those guys are aging out. Anderson is probably just going to leave. It is going to take time to build anything back up after the earth is scorched.

Still not sure what you are talking about here? Flames have a tonne of warm bodies on D. They have 2 top four guys, and then 7 guys between the ages of 24-35 who are essentially number 7 D-men. Not sure why they would have to call up one of their 3 actual D prospects from the farm team.

24 is generally still a prospect when it comes to defensemen... So weird cut off. Flames have 6-7 realistically warm bodies at NHL level. Barrie, Andersson, Weegar, Bean, Pachal, Bahl, Hanley and two russians whos pretty much question marks on defense in Rafikov and Miromanov.

Not sure how this is "tonnes" in your world?

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
24 is generally still a prospect when it comes to defensemen... So weird cut off. Flames have 6-7 realistically warm bodies at NHL level. Barrie, Andersson, Weegar, Bean, Pachal, Bahl, Hanley and two russians whos pretty much question marks on defense in Rafikov and Miromanov.

Not sure how this is "tonnes" in your world?

I think you mean Grushnikov or Solovyov, but good post. :)

We had a bunch of guys play games in those 5-7 dman positions and they basically played by committee. Okhotiuk went back to the KHL, Kylington is out so now Barrie, Bean and Bahl are now added to that committee with Solovyov looking to join that committee sooner rather than later.

Not ideal, but it's still better than the d corpses some teams were icing in prior years.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary

You do realize they have 20 million in cap space right? And that number is just going to go up. We have way too many wingers. Get another decent center, get a good number 3 defender and they're in the wild card race.

That would be foolish to do before seeing what the young guys have and if Wolf is a capable starter but it's a choice. They'll get 3 or 4 firsts this year, if they get a center prospect they like, they'll likely start spending some money. If for whatever reason they don't, don't spend any money next year as well. It's not a oh no, how will they ever fill that hole? Like you just spend money to fill the hole. Yes Andersson might leave, if he does leave that's 9 million more in cap space to work with. Everyone is acting like UTah fixing their defense in a month was some miracle work. It was simply they started to spend money and assets.

Yes, if no good players are developed for years, your team is going to suck. Yes if all of our defensive prospects fail our defense isn't going to be as good. That's true for every team in the league.

Reactions: Figgy44

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad