Proposal: CGY-CAR

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
To CAR:
Andrew Mangiapane (50% retained with 1 year left, 5.8 mil)

To CGY:
Kotkaniemi (6 years left, 4.82 mil)
2024 1st (CAR) - 27th OA
Jackson Blake or other B prospect/mid-round pick

Calgary adds a 1st and an overpaid but still young C, Carolina gets out of the Kotkaniemi contract and adds a solid two-way winger to replace one of Teravainen/Martinook/Noesen/Guentzel (depending who they re-sign).

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
To CAR:

To CGY:
2024 1st (CAR) - 27th OA

Calgary adds a 1st and an overpaid but still young C, Carolina gets out of the Kotkaniemi contract and adds a solid two-way winger to replace one of Teravainen/Martinook/Noesen/Guentzel (depending who they re-sign).
This is an interesting framework. I wouldn't do it as Kotkaniemi is a useless hockey player signed long term. He's worse today than he was at 18. It's the type of move the Flames should be looking at. It's just the wrong player and the wrong term. Needs to be 3 years left or less.

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
This is an interesting framework. I wouldn't do it as Kotkaniemi is a useless hockey player signed long term. He's worse today than he was at 18. It's the type of move the Flames should be looking at. It's just the wrong player and the wrong term. Needs to be 3 years left or less.
I get that and agree KK’s contract is tough to swallow, I just can’t find many (if any) other potential cap dumps that are still young-ish and have shorter term. That, and I can’t understand what went wrong for KK. He’s shown flashes but just can’t put it together.

Agreed though, this specific deal might be too risky but I hope Conroy goes after this type of deal and adds cap dumps with bounce back potential plus picks.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I get that and agree KK’s contract is tough to swallow, I just can’t find many (if any) other potential cap dumps that are still young-ish and have shorter term. That, and I can’t understand what went wrong for KK. He’s shown flashes but just can’t put it together.

Agreed though, this specific deal might be too risky but I hope Conroy goes after this type of deal and adds cap dumps with bounce back potential plus picks.
I agree we should be weaponizing cap space. I don't have the perfect candidate either, but I just think 6 years for a replacement level player making almost 5M is too long. If it was 3 years I'd do it. Just thinking we gave up the same thing for 1 year of a better player in Monahan. It's conceivable the rebuild could be over in 4 years and then we'd need to add a 1st to dump Kotkaniemi after eating 20M in dead cap.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Nobody is taking on KK’s contract. Plenty of bottom-sixers making league minimum bring more value on the ice than KK does. Canes have two options; buy him out, or hope he can turn it around. Considering he’s worse today than he was at 18, I know what option I’d choose if I were them.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Nobody is taking on KK’s contract. Plenty of bottom-sixers making league minimum bring more value on the ice than KK does. Canes have two options; buy him out, or hope he can turn it around. Considering he’s worse today than he was at 18, I know what option I’d choose if I were them.
Actually there have been reports that teams have shown interest in Kotkaniemi. Now what they were willing to give was not reported.

As far as the proposal, it's a nope.

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
I agree we should be weaponizing cap space. I don't have the perfect candidate either, but I just think 6 years for a replacement level player making almost 5M is too long. If it was 3 years I'd do it. Just thinking we gave up the same thing for 1 year of a better player in Monahan. It's conceivable the rebuild could be over in 4 years and then we'd need to add a 1st to dump Kotkaniemi after eating 20M in dead cap.
Agreed, the only other factor is that KK’a contract is a cheaper buyout. So even if we gave him a chance for 3 years and then bought him out in 2027, it would only cost like 850k for 6 years. Not good obviously but not terrible if we also get a 1st and B prospect out of it

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
Actually there have been reports that teams have shown interest in Kotkaniemi. Now what they were willing to give was not reported.

As far as the proposal, it's a nope.
Classic ‘reports’. There were ‘reports’ last year that Markstrom was gonna bring the Flames an unprotected 1st+Holtz.

KK definitely has negative value, and I thought Carolina would be more desperate for cap savings than just being content letting some of their better UFA’a walk.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Not interested at all in Kotkaniemi. He sucks and he's signed for forever.

Flames should see how Mangiapane's season goes and deal him at the deadline with retention.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
It cost the Flames a late 1st to get out of the Monahan contract. Kotkainiemi getting 1 point in 11 playoff games means the Flames aren't taking him on. The potential harm is too long-term just for a late 1st and B prospect (plus retention by the Flames).

The Flames are much better off just trading Mangiapane at the deadline.

Last edited:
Reactions: TFHockey

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
To CAR:

To CGY:
2024 1st (CAR) - 27th OA

No to the retention. Better to keep Mangiapane until the trade deadline.

If we take Kotkaniemi, and I'm not opposed to that, it would be in conjunction of acquiring Necas as well.

Probably a multi-player trade with either side adding sweeteners to get the deal done.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Elliot Friedman’s source: “someone who bet [him] a steak dinner.” 😂

He wouldn’t even say that this person was connected to any team, so in other words, he pulled it directly out of his ass for clicks.

You realize Friedman is a journalist, right? His “source” could’ve been a random bellhop at the hotel he was staying at lmao

Reactions: RasmusAndersson

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Canes pass. We don’t need another small perimeter winger that we wouldn’t keep long term anyways.
Oof. I mean he's small, but Mangiapane is anything but a perimeter player. He scores all of his goals within 6 inches of the crease. He's very gritty and good on the forecheck and defensively. The thing he lacks is perimeter skill.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Oof. I mean he's small, but Mangiapane is anything but a perimeter player. He scores all of his goals within 6 inches of the crease. He's very gritty and good on the forecheck and defensively. The thing he lacks is perimeter skill.
Where a player scores doesn’t mean he isn’t a perimeter player and its wrong that he scores just from 6 inches out. Mangiapane has 1 good season on defense, 3 seasons ago.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Kotkaniemi is a young center and has a desirable frame at that position. $4.82 mil is low end 2nd line money in 2024 and 3rd line money before too long. He doesn't have to produce at a high level to justify his contract. He lived up to it in 22-23.

Interest as his value is neutral or better in full? Not ready to buy that. A swap of undesirable contracts akin to Matheson/Hornqvist is reasonable, however. Calgary's Hornqvists are either non-starters for Carolina (Huberdeau) or not viable for the Flames coming off of strong seasons (Kadri/Coleman). I don't see the fit.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Where a player scores doesn’t mean he isn’t a perimeter player and its wrong that he scores just from 6 inches out. Mangiapane has 1 good season on defense, 3 seasons ago.
Huh? Are you sure you know who Mangiapane is? He's a positive possession player with negative zone starts his entire career. Over the last 5 seasons there's only 2 other wingers in the league who have done that. Not sure how anyone who has seen him play even a little bit would be that far off.

Mangiapane has had

56 cf
54 cf
54 cf
59 cf
61 cf
52cf

That's his entire career. He's played the toughest line for the other team every night for the past 5 seasons and starts mostly (54%) in the Dzone. He has had 2 goals outside homeplate last year. He's not perimeter by any definition a rational human could have.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,600.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium
    Wagers: 4