CFL 2024

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Oh well, that was probably for the best, we weren’t making the playoffs, and this should put the final nail in Jackson and Simons time with the club. Not sure how much more CFL football I will watch this year, after watching far more entertaining college games today and the NFL, and add the incompetence of the refs and the league, it’s probably good timing that this ends now. Hard to know if next year will be any better, depends if we finally get a competent GM and coaches.
Talent pool is pretty thin and recycle machine is always in use. Lapolice might be a candidate I guess. Snappy dresser.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Masters at snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

Trevor Harris easily the best QB in the game---sad.
Really. MBT was better. Passed for more yds better completions percentage, and only one pick that was his fault. harris tossed for multiple picks, all bad balls thrown.

The difference in this game was the Elks D giving another game away and stopping nothing.

How anybody could blame this game on MBT or suggest that is beyond me. 400yds thrown not enough?

Riders also got the benefit of nearly every call. That was as much as anything the difference.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Oh well, that was probably for the best, we weren’t making the playoffs, and this should put the final nail in Jackson and Simons time with the club. Not sure how much more CFL football I will watch this year, after watching far more entertaining college games today and the NFL, and add the incompetence of the refs and the league, it’s probably good timing that this ends now. Hard to know if next year will be any better, depends if we finally get a competent GM and coaches.
I think there’s a pretty decent chance Simon is back as assistant GM and JJ back as OC.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006

I was of the opinion that Jackson was worth serious consideration simply because nobody else better might be available. After consideration, I'll pass. The general demeanour of the team was improved, but too much of the same dumb shit we saw under Jones continued, and the QB situation moving forward has been botched in the process.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Lewis has been great in this game.
Sure, but with the worst possible play a reciever can make in a game. Blowing a catch AND popping it up for a pick. He was guilted into being better off of that play. That and the Bede miss FG turned out to be margin of victory.

Prukop has looked like crap tonight
Was he drunk. You got one job to do and he looked like an adventure everytime. Normally he's better than this at short yds but Riders were bending the line of scrimmage all day. Really we ought to have abandoned the run, we were getting nothing out of it.

Reactions: Cloned

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Really. MBT was better. Passed for more yds better completions percentage, and only one pick that was his fault. harris tossed for multiple picks, all bad balls thrown.

The difference in this game was the Elks D giving another game away and stopping nothing.

How anybody could blame this game on MBT or suggest that is beyond me. 400yds thrown not enough?

Riders also got the benefit of nearly every call. That was as much as anything the difference.
Good stats but he can't get it done when he absolutely has to.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
1728181411549.gif

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Good stats but he can't get it done when he absolutely has to.

Again he wasn't the reason for the loss, the D was. Nor is he the one that fumbled the ball with the game on the line and the Elks driving. That was Gittens. Earlier it was Lewis. You can't have your receivers f***ing up like that and win a close game. Also Bede with the idiot prize. MBT was more than fine today and he was better than Harris.

Difference in this game was the miscues by other players and the officials and command center giving this to the riders.

In anycase it would have been ugly with Ford in today. This season he only does well when we have a running game going. There was no way Riders were allowing any runs today and also no way Ford passes for 400yds. Game would've likely been a Riders cake walk with Ford in.

That said I was fine with starting Ford just for the remaining fans in the stands. Its the fans that want him.

As far as "getting it done" its a team sport. Milligan made this game as much as any player on the field did. The Elks had nobody on D that was that much a factor.

Shout out to Julian. He sure is shredding the kicking game. What a leg. Too bad the rest of our special teams is shit and we don't even bother to have a return guy.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Idiot play of the day though is Leake on a first down running ride to the sidelines when he could have run for a first down with 2mins left. He thought they had to be saving time? FFS. We had all the time in the world. Turns out the next play was the fumble that killed us. Gittens can't be carrying the ball like that in traffic and that sort of thing isn't new with him.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Again he wasn't the reason for the loss, the D was. Nor is he the one that fumbled the ball with the game on the line and the Elks driving. That was Gittens. Earlier it was Lewis. You can't have your receivers f***ing up like that and win a close game. Also Bede with the idiot prize. MBT was more than fine today and he was better than Harris.

Difference in this game was the miscues by other players and the officials and command center giving this to the riders.

In anycase it would have been ugly with Ford in today. This season he only does well when we have a running game going. There was no way Riders were allowing any runs today and also no way Ford passes for 400yds. Game would've likely been a Riders cake walk with Ford in.

That said I was fine with starting Ford just for the remaining fans in the stands. Its the fans that want him.

As far as "getting it done" its a team sport. Milligan made this game as much as any player on the field did. The Elks had nobody on D that was that much a factor.

Shout out to Julian. He sure is shredding the kicking game. What a leg. Too bad the rest of our special teams is shit and we don't even bother to have a return guy.
MBT is ok at times, he's not a bad QB but he's not a good one either.

I thought the Harris long balls were superior tonight.

Lewis was very good this evening and is still a very good go to guy.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
I wouldn't necessarily have gone back to Ford tonight, but he beat the Riders in one of his two complete starts this year. MBT lost twice at home to them in winnable games. Tonight I largely put on Lewis and Gittens coughing up those balls though. Two big gainers turned directly into turnovers in a 4-point game is devastating.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
MBT is ok at times, he's not a bad QB but he's not a good one either.

I thought the Harris long balls were superior tonight.

Lewis was very good this evening and is still a very good go to guy.
Harris longballs were better. We're agreed on that but also he's looking at wide open guys. MBT was better at quick reads and middle hitters.

Thing is though Harris best attribute as a QB is hitting longballs and he does that when he's on. A lot of days where he's not.

MBT has matched Collaros for 2nd in league in passing., and despite not playing in two games.

Nah. MBT is a good QB. Team would be much worse without him. Not saying in wins and losses but in being competitive. Again this game wouldn't even be close without him in there.

MBT for instance in first half passed for more yds than Ford has passed for in a game this season. ALL of Fords wins have come when the team was rushing for some crazy yds. Leake had nothing today and I wonder if Rankin was hurt. he didn't establish either.

I wouldn't necessarily have gone back to Ford tonight, but he beat the Riders in one of his two complete starts this year. MBT lost twice at home to them in winnable games. Tonight I largely put on Lewis and Gittens coughing up those balls though. Two big gainers turned directly into turnovers in a 4-point game is devastating.
By no means was this the same Riders club. Ford beat that club when it was playing awful and beating themselves. One of he games we had like 250yds rushing. CFL as I've stated before is almost every year a league where teams are dramatically different depending on when you play them. Teams get on a role or really stumble. Riders are looking much better now than they were midseason. Even in giving up a lot of yds passing the Riders D was still being tough, laying hits and making it hard out there. Conversely the Offense is running for the Riders.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
Harris longballs were better. We're agreed on that but also he's looking at wide open guys. MBT was better at quick reads and middle hitters.

Thing is though Harris best attribute as a QB is hitting longballs and he does that when he's on. A lot of days where he's not.

MBT has matched Collaros for 2nd in league in passing., and despite not playing in two games.

Nah. MBT is a good QB. Team would be much worse without him. Not saying in wins and losses but in being competitive. Again this game wouldn't even be close without him in there.

MBT for instance in first half passed for more yds than Ford has passed for in a game this season. ALL of Fords wins have come when the team was rushing for some crazy yds. Leake had nothing today and I wonder if Rankin was hurt. he didn't establish either.

By no means was this the same Riders club. Ford beat that club when it was playing awful and beating themselves. One of he games we had like 250yds rushing. CFL as I've stated before is almost every year a league where teams are dramatically different depending on when you play them. Teams get on a role or really stumble. Riders are looking much better now than they were midseason. Even in giving up a lot of yds passing the Riders D was still being tough, laying hits and making it hard out there. Conversely the Offense is running for the Riders.
Yup exactly. Different team this year under different coaching and it’s making all the difference. We still aren’t a power house or anything like that, I doubt we hang with Winnipeg, Toronto or Montreal. But the riders are headed in the right direction. If we limit the penalties and mistakes we are a pretty solid football club. Be curious to see what we do in the playoffs. Would be nice to get a home playoff game and beat BC. Doubt we beat Winnipeg, but who knows

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Yup exactly. Different team this year under different coaching and it’s making all the difference. We still aren’t a power house or anything like that, I doubt we hang with Winnipeg, Toronto or Montreal. But the riders are headed in the right direction. If we limit the penalties and mistakes we are a pretty solid football club. Be curious to see what we do in the playoffs. Would be nice to get a home playoff game and beat BC. Doubt we beat Winnipeg, but who knows
Definitely be cheering for you guys against BC but you're on your own when they play the Bombers. I don't mind the Bombers, I love O' Shea, and thats the class team and org in league right now, deserves to be said. They deserve it. Definitely want the West to win the GC every year. How I roll. ;) f*** the east so hard.

• Wow
Reactions: tardigrade81

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006

Eh, the Riders were 5-2 near the top of the standings when Ford played them and won. They've stabilized things after a long losing streak but I wouldn't call the current version an improvement over the early August team. Sask is actually quite similar to Edmonton. Played almost entirely close games, but actually won half of them like you'd expect.

Regardless we're kind of splitting hairs here. The team is 5-11 and QB play was only a net negative in about three of the losses. Kickers, receivers, the defense, and the coaches all took a turn blowing games this year. This was team was very equal-opportunity in that respect.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Eh, the Riders were 5-2 near the top of the standings when Ford played them and won. They've stabilized things after a long losing streak but I wouldn't call the current version an improvement over the early August team. Sask is actually quite similar to Edmonton. Played almost entirely close games, but actually won half of them like you'd expect.

Regardless we're kind of splitting hairs here. The team is 5-11 and QB play was only a net negative in about three of the losses. Kickers, receivers, the defense, and the coaches all took a turn blowing games this year. This was team was very equal-opportunity in that respect.
Fair enough. But that was the only good Ford game of the year. MBT has had several. In that game against the Riders Ford passed for 250 and ran for nearly 50. He still hasn't cracked 100yrs rushing on season and it was the only game where he put up appreciable yds passing. But that was the game we ran for 276yds which is just crazy. Leake almost hit 200yds himself that day. Indeed 1/3 of Leakes seasonal rushing total happened in that one game. It was outlier all round.

By Miles the most impressive aerial attacks of the season have all been MBT throwing the ball. To Wit MBT has thrown for more yds than Fords top total in 6 games. MBT also started season with 3 in a row +300yds passing. Given how luke warm Ford has been running the ball this season the passing comparison is pretty much what matters.

JMO as well that Ford isn't the one causing the rushing game. Its 3 RB's battling furiously that all want to be here. We have 3 good backs, a real rarity. But none of them could get anything today.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
Definitely be cheering for you guys against BC but you're on your own when they play the Bombers. I don't mind the Bombers, I love O' Shea, and thats the class team and org in league right now, deserves to be said. They deserve it. Definitely want the West to win the GC every year. How I roll. ;) f*** the east so hard.
Oh man. I was with you till you said Winnipeg lol. I can’t stand them. Collaros also is a loser. He trashed Saskatchewan when he left. He’s a great QB, but just don’t like him as a human personally

Fajardo left in good spirits, and I like him. I hate Montreal, but was happy to see him win the entire thing. He deserved it!

Winnipeg has also won enough lately. They’re like the patriots of the CFL. They can get lost now lol. You might be the first person (that doesn’t live in Winnipeg) I know that will cheer for Winnipeg haha. Crazy stuff!

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Oh man. I was with you till you said Winnipeg lol. I can’t stand them. Collaros also is a loser. He trashed Saskatchewan when he left. He’s a great QB, but just don’t like him as a human personally

Fajardo left in good spirits, and I like him. I hate Montreal, but was happy to see him win the entire thing. He deserved it!

Winnipeg has also won enough lately. They’re like the patriots of the CFL. They can get lost now lol. You might be the first person (that doesn’t live in Winnipeg) I know that will cheer for Winnipeg haha. Crazy stuff!
Nah. Like I said O'Shea himself is one for the ages. Both as a player and coach. The single best longterm guy in the league. Wish we had a guy like that behind the bench. Or on the field. A lot of respect for that guy and teams LOVE to play for him. I take or leave Collaros, he's good, and he's money at times but Bombers don't win because of him. They win because of being solid on all 3 units and being disciplined. They're class of the league.

ps the only NFL team I liked was the Patriots. Its OK to respect good teams and legends like Brady. heh

Man, you should never cheer for the East in Canada. In anything.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Fair enough. But that was the only good Ford game of the year. MBT has had several. In that game against the Riders Ford passed for 250 and ran for nearly 50. He still hasn't cracked 100yrs rushing on season and it was the only game where he put up appreciable yds passing. But that was the game we ran for 276yds which is just crazy. Leake almost hit 200yds himself that day. Indeed 1/3 of Leakes seasonal rushing total happened in that one game. It was outlier all round.

By Miles the most impressive aerial attacks of the season have all been MBT throwing the ball. To Wit MBT has thrown for more yds than Fords top total in 6 games. MBT also started season with 3 in a row +300yds passing. Given how luke warm Ford has been running the ball this season the passing comparison is pretty much what matters.

JMO as well that Ford isn't the one causing the rushing game. Its 3 RB's battling furiously that all want to be here. We have 3 good backs, a real rarity. But none of them could get anything today.

One could argue that the necessity of the defense spying Ford opened up running lanes that weren't there tonight with MBT not being a threat to run.

But honestly the sample size here is pretty small to draw any conclusions. Ford barely played this season, he was just the focus of fan and media discussion throughout. Saying Ford only had one good game is factually accurate, but doesn't reveal much when he only played two full starts. When the dust settled, MBT won three starts against the two other non-playoff teams and lost literally every other one. I can concede he deserved a better fate in terms of raw wins and losses, but he did himself no favours with spotty play early in the year in some close losses. Like most players on the team, he improved with Jones' departure.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
One could argue that the necessity of the defense spying Ford opened up running lanes that weren't there tonight with MBT not being a threat to run.

But honestly the sample size here is pretty small to draw any conclusions. Ford barely played this season, he was just the focus of fan and media discussion throughout. Saying Ford only had one good game is factually accurate, but doesn't reveal much when he only played two full starts. When the dust settled, MBT won three starts against the two other non-playoff teams and lost literally every other one. I can concede he deserved a better fate in terms of raw wins and losses, but he did himself no favours with spotty play early in the year in some close losses. Like most players on the team, he improved with Jones' departure.
Except Ford hasn't been a legit running threat in any other than one game this season. He just hasn't been. 97yds rushing. Half of that in the one game. The Broadcast all day is trying to attribute the ground attack to RPO but thats giving an abundance of credit to Ford who hasn't even had success running this season. I credit Rankin mostly, and Leake for the few games he was on.

CFL correction has occurred regarding Ford. Pretty simple for good clubs to just spy a linebacker and it shuts down the RPO.

Not concluding. Also Ford has been granted 3 starts and was also injured which seems to be a problem with him. Both times he's been handed the ball in successive seasons he's been injured before he can get established.

There was nothing spotty about MBT i the first 3 games passing for nearly 1K yds. The team around him was playing spotty. MBT has now been in for games 5X that were settled by a FG. Lost all of them. But in each of those games the losses were due to somebody else. Bede at fault in 3 of them. MBT also salvaged the game in one of the Ford starts. MBT should have around half a dozen wins this season. Its not on him imo that he doesn't.

Generally you can't ask for more than MBT gave today. He has well over 400yds passing if his receivers don't flat out fumble and botch receptions, the one being an int due to Lewis flubbing up.

man look around the league this year for some real dog performances by QB's. Maier in Calgary constant with them. Rourke playing like shit. Its no accident MBT is in a dead heat with Collaros in yds passing. He's one of the best aerial attack QB's the league has. If we didn't have MBT we would have worse.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad