CFL 2024

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
What does this have to do with the QB?

I'd suggest that in the history of Football you win zero games where you give up 55pts and 7TD's.

Nobody wins in Winnipeg period and this was men against boys and Bombers flexing muscles. Game was decided on Bombers bringing their A game this time and guys like Lawler having a crazy good night. D couldn't stop the pass, couldn't stop the run. We gave up 460passing yds. Again you just don't win doing that.

Thompson missed receivers, true, but a lot of that had to do with having to go for desperation longbombs and receivers also flat out dropping balls.

We could have Warren Moon in tonight and we lose this game. Bombers are real good when they play their A game.

The only thing the offense could have changed is by stopping the bleeding in the early part of the game. After two long drives, Edmonton gets one first down, then turns it over, then right back at it for a touchdown, then two and out, then touchdown then the fumble, etc. Winnipeg had more Touchdowns than Edmonton had First Downs until well beyond the 3 minute warning of the first half.

At some point in that first half the defense needed a long drive by the offense to gather their composure on the sidelines and try to settle down and catch their breath, but every time they had to march right back onto the field within a couple minutes.

Then once your down 31-0, it's pretty hard for anyone to gather themselves. By all means the defense wears this debacle, but if the offense had showed up at all, maybe things settle down a bit quicker.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Everyone has their opinions on the QB situation, and they're certainly valid, but I'm really surprised at how Ford is now being largely written off based this season, in which he's looked mostly good in limited appearances. Last week's "career killing" game was his only bad showing of the season. He's barely played due to both coaching decisions and injuries, and that's reason for concern for sure, but if we're concluding he's not likely a viable starter going forward, it's being based off a remarkably small size IMO. The guy remains to only Elks QB to post anything resembling an acceptable W-L record over his three years with the organization.

Another consideration when evaluating QB's is who's just played the last two weeks. I think the CFL is roughly this league at the moment in terms of quality:

Winnipeg (despite the bad an confusing start)

Montreal
Ottawa
BC
Toronto

Edmonton
Saskatchewan
Stampeders
Tiger Cats

I don't think the EE show even close to this badly against any of the other teams in the league. The last two games were definitely slaps in the face and shows how far off the team is from actually reaching championship status, but I don't think that means they aren't, or can't be competitive with the rest of the league.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
The only thing the offense could have changed is by stopping the bleeding in the early part of the game. After two long drives, Edmonton gets one first down, then turns it over, then right back at it for a touchdown, then two and out, then touchdown then the fumble, etc. Winnipeg had more Touchdowns than Edmonton had First Downs until well beyond the 3 minute warning of the first half.

At some point in that first half the defense needed a long drive by the offense to gather their composure on the sidelines and try to settle down and catch their breath, but every time they had to march right back onto the field within a couple minutes.

Then once your down 31-0, it's pretty hard for anyone to gather themselves. By all means the defense wears this debacle, but if the offense had showed up at all, maybe things settle down a bit quicker.
I don't agree with this. A D shouldn't be fatigued or tired in the first Quarter, 2nd Quarter. The D bleeding was immediate and instant in this game.

If talking about a D tiring in 2nd half I tend to agree but the Elks had 4 long scoring drives in a row and all that resulted in is the D promptly giving up another score everytime. The D didn't look rested coming into this game and there might have been something else going on during the couple days in Winnipeg. A more experienced team would have this trouble in Montreal. hint hint. But this team is kind of young and doesn't know the in outs of things.

jk aside the team is really open on Facebook and X. My guess from what I saw is some carousing and "team bonding" went on.

All that said the Elks realistically lost their playoff hopes in the home game. They had to win that one. Even though the team was talking it up big there was no way they were winning in Winnipeg where hardly anybody ever does. The scoreline might have altered somewhat if the offense got rolling immediately but the result wouldn't have changed. If you can't beat the Bombers in Edmonton theres no way its happening in Winnipeg. Its bad luck too for the Elks that Lawler and Oliviera just started feeling good and healthy during this two game set. They are 100% and that hasn't always been the case. Both are prone to injury. You get these two healthy and its a long day for any D. Both are basically unstoppable when healthy. Lawler particularly its like seeing a guy thats just too good for this league.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Another consideration when evaluating QB's is who's just played the last two weeks. I think the CFL is roughly this league at the moment in terms of quality:

Winnipeg (despite the bad an confusing start)

Montreal
Ottawa
BC
Toronto

Edmonton
Saskatchewan
Stampeders
Tiger Cats

I don't think the EE show even close to this badly against any of the other teams in the league. The last two games were definitely slaps in the face and shows how far off the team is from actually reaching championship status, but I don't think that means they aren't, or can't be competitive with the rest of the league.
Yep. So much of the MBT is bad statline that gets trumped everytime is his record. Well, in the first 7 games of the season MBT played well or very well in multiple of those games and the team lost 4 in a row of those by a measley FG. In those games Bede had missed multiple FG's. Occams razor would point at Bede for being the culprit in those games. MBT probably should have had 2-3 W's in those games, maybe more. Factor in that the team was brand new, lots of changes, and thats a factor. Took some time to gel.

For the first offseason in awhile I want several players on offense and defense retained. The team is competitive now. Basically against anybody but Winnipeg.

This is the first Edmonton team since Reilly to beat the Stamps in the BOA back2back. I'll take that overall along with always being better than Flames on ice. Its progress this season and I wouldn't rip it apart.

Last edited:
Reactions: K1984

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad