CFL 2024

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Neat 1000yds and you got your 2nd td.
Not playing the Stamps tonight-- a much tougher opponent this evening but credit the team with being tied at the end of 3 quarters. That Bomber O-line was also outstanding tonight.

The EE might still be pretenders but at least they are not offenders. Just keep building towards the 2025 season. The team is definitely headed in the right direction.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Not playing the Stamps tonight-- a much tougher opponent this evening but credit the team with being tied at the end of 3 quarters. That Bomber O-line was also outstanding tonight.

The EE might still be pretenders but at least they are not offenders. Just keep building towards the 2025 season. The team is definitely headed in the right direction.
I think everyone but Winnipeg in the west is pretenders

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
That’s like the guy who argues that there’s holding on every play

Weird how you weren’t arguing against the phantom roughess call
Lead with your helmet and hit another guy in the head with your helmet you’re gonna get a flag. That’s the way it is now.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Yeah that’s why the concussion spotter pulled him off two plays later. Not that any of this matters, the elks are the reason they lost tonight not the refs.
The elks lost cause they werent good enough, and the officials also sucked and make more suspect calls.

Both can be true.

Arty Spooners Bsmnt

Apr 22, 2023
The Elks lost because of the turnovers. Why not go for the field goal when you could have in the first? Can't be fumbling the ball away and giving up points. Ford was not seeing wide open players.

Winnipeg always gets favourable officiating.

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
Nah these are the 2 best. After Jones was fired they’ve taken another step.

They're 3rd in points allowed since firing Jones, so they are definitely right there. Still a notch below Winnipeg and Montreal though IMO:

Winnipeg: 17.1ppg
Montreal: 20.5ppg
Edmonton: 24.1ppg
Ottawa: 24.9ppg
BC: 25.6
Sask: 25.6
Toronto: 26.0
Hamilton: 28.4
Calgary: 30.9

Although I hadn't realized it, also the highest scoring team since Jones was fired at 29.7 points per game. That's a pretty good combination.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Fix Or Repair Daily

131yds passing, One fumble, two picks and two turnovers on downs. Oh and doesn't run for hardly any yds anymore. Old Zach Collaros with the running stride of a Tom Wilkinson rushed for more yds and first downs.

whoops

Rankin looked like a superstar though and credit the whole D for keeping it a game as long as they did.

Last edited:

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Hard one to swallow. Probably a comfortable win with even 3 turnovers instead of 6...

It's not over, but they need to win three straight for sure now, probably all four. Winnipeg is very beatable, but probably delivers a better effort on Friday; the Elks will need a mistake-free game to win I suspect. I'm confident Sask can drop a game to Ottawa or BC, but Edmonton has just about run out of racetrack here...they've blown one too many games.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Suitor might be legitimately r*etarded.
He's is certainly not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

First he comments after Ford completed a pass on the same side as his brother sometime in the first quarter, " Tre needs to stop concentrating on just trying to beat his brother and focus on winning as a team."

Then, on a great and totally legal hit on a Bomber receiver that was inexplicably called for roughing (???), he says it was the correct call. The guy is severely stupid.

Last edited:

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Just watched the recorded game, as missed the original. Had I not seen it, I would have said, "Oh well, Jarius Jackson clearly didn't bend to the fans wishes and started Ford and MBT shit the bed." Instead, it was quite the opposite. Ford was absolutely terrible. Matter of fact, the only TD he threw should probably have been an INT if the Dback would have just looked back sooner - terrible throw. What a waste of a game by Rankin. And he should be starting ahead of Brown, and should have been for some time now. I understand AC Leonard was suited up for the game, but not sure I ever heard his name called. Not a good sign. If they lose next weekend, I 'd say the Elks are cooked.

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
I remember Mike Reilly having a few terrible games in 2013 under Kavis. Was a completely different situation the next year when Jones 1.0 came.

To that end, who would be a good coaching candidate for us? (Assuming JJ isn't back next year...)

DoubleEFan

Aug 26, 2024
Just watched the recorded game, as missed the original. Had I not seen it, I would have said, "Oh well, Jarius Jackson clearly didn't bend to the fans wishes and started Ford and MBT shit the bed." Instead, it was quite the opposite. Ford was absolutely terrible. Matter of fact, the only TD he threw should probably have been an INT if the Dback would have just looked back sooner - terrible throw. What a waste of a game by Rankin. And he should be starting ahead of Brown, and should have been for some time now. I understand AC Leonard was suited up for the game, but not sure I ever heard his name called. Not a good sign. If they lose next weekend, I 'd say the Elks are cooked.
It does seem their playoff chances are very slim now. You are right, Tre Ford was absolutely terrible. At this point it will be interesting to see if they still go with Ford to start on Friday. They have to realize that MBT is not a long term solution but need to win. Although, with playoff chances so slim, they may just go with Ford and see if he can really be a starting QB. I’m still puzzled as to why they even announced Ford as the starter for that game so far ahead of time. I got the impression from the media avails that he wasn’t even having the greatest practices last week. Announcing the starter so far ahead of time may have made it difficult to take that back by that point.

Reactions: Stoneman89

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
It does seem their playoff chances are very slim now. You are right, Tre Ford was absolutely terrible. At this point it will be interesting to see if they still go with Ford to start on Friday. They have to realize that MBT is not a long term solution but need to win. Although, with playoff chances so slim, they may just go with Ford and see if he can really be a starting QB. I’m still puzzled as to why they even announced Ford as the starter for that game so far ahead of time. I got the impression from the media avails that he wasn’t even having the greatest practices last week. Announcing the starter so far ahead of time may have made it difficult to take that back by that point.

It really boils down to this weekend's game. The goal all along was at least a split. Unfortunately they lost the first one making the second one crucial.

The last three games are vs. Saskatchewan, Calgary and Toronto (all winnable games) and Saskatchewan plays Edmonton, BC, Ottawa and Calgary. A win this weekend sets up a possibility to run out the table which would then mean they'd only need Saskatchewan to lose one more game out of their other three.

Keep in mind Saskatchewan has one exactly 1 post-Labour Day game since Covid and that was vs. a Calgary team than may not win another game this year, and even that one went down to the wire.

Odds are certainly against Edmonton now, but they are still very much in the fight. A loss on Friday however makes it a very tall task indeed.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Should be as well. I've watched all the games. Saw some of the comments here. I think MBT doesn't get the respect for being a solid passer and quick reads. Theres reasons he's had success at this level and continues to. Not sure that any QB was going to be getting this club to wins the first number of games. MBT played well to very well in several of those.

With Ford its another case of a player getting all the positive press, and very much during the broadcasts. All day they are selling Ford as a future legend Canadian QB and he frankly hasn't done near enough to be in that convo. He's still very much an unknown at this level and doesn't seem to be getting better. Regression if anything is occurring as clubs scouting him and being able to key a linebacker on him. Completely seems to shutdown his run attack and his passing has been abysmal lately.

Not sure either I liked Ford smiling and having a great time in third Quarter with a big zero up on the board. Something with this guy. He's that guy in the room everybody works harder for, tries to get it done for him but end of day its up to him. The players and team were working harder for Ford than he was doing himself. Strikes me as a guy that just shows up and expects to be a star.

Again though Rankin with the best running game I've seen from this club in ages. he was making nothing plays be big gainers all day. Reading extremely well, runs like a bull and decent speed and real hard to bring down. Rankin is miles better than Brown. Would go the rest of the way with Rankin and Leake when he's healthy. Brown getting little done.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Should be as well. I've watched all the games. Saw some of the comments here. I think MBT doesn't get the respect for being a solid passer and quick reads. Theres reasons he's had success at this level and continues to. Not sure that any QB was going to be getting this club to wins the first number of games. MBT played well to very well in several of those.

With Ford its another case of a player getting all the positive press, and very much during the broadcasts. All day they are selling Ford as a future legend Canadian QB and he frankly hasn't done near enough to be in that convo. He's still very much an unknown at this level and doesn't seem to be getting better. Regression if anything is occurring as clubs scouting him and being able to key a linebacker on him. Completely seems to shutdown his run attack and his passing has been abysmal lately.

Not sure either I liked Ford smiling and having a great time in third Quarter with a big zero up on the board. Something with this guy. He's that guy in the room everybody works harder for, tries to get it done for him but end of day its up to him. The players and team were working harder for Ford than he was doing himself. Strikes me as a guy that just shows up and expects to be a star.

Again though Rankin with the best running game I've seen from this club in ages. he was making nothing plays be big gainers all day. Reading extremely well, runs like a bull and decent speed and real hard to bring down. Rankin is miles better than Brown. Would go the rest of the way with Rankin and Leake when he's healthy. Brown getting little done.

I'm with you on Ford. He's always struck me as a player that can come in and juice an offence on short notice due to his unique qualities, but I feel like he'd get exposed as an every day starter when teams have time to game plan around him.

He doesn't have the greatest arm, and if he's contented in the pocket like he was last week his effectiveness goes away fast. By no means am I writing him off or anything, but I agree that the hype is a bit much. He's good, but far from a saviour.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site

I generally agree with the comments about MBT. He's done everything you'd expect in the starts this season with only 2 games being below average (2nd Ottawa game and 1st Hamilton game). His relief appearance Saturday was also pretty bad, but I'm not sure how much of that was the recievers also getting flustered by the Winnipeg secondary as they (Gitten in particular) seemed to be getting confused about where to be on the field and when to look back at the ball.

For Ford the jury is still out. His good games have been very good and very entertaining, but he's also had several stinkers both last year and this year.

I am a bit hesitant, however, to read too much into Saturday's game. It was his first start in awhile, and it was vs. a team that's been to 3 straight Grey Cups and currently the best pass defense in the league and it's not particularly close. This same defense held Vernon Adams to 0 points and 4 first downs in an entire game. Have no doubt, I think Ford was bad on Saturday and was calling for MBT to relieve him even before the INT, but I'm just not sure how much of it was him vs how much of it was Winnipeg getting to him.

Big picture, I'd probably start Ford as ultimately a Cup run is a pipe dream this year and we may be better off developing him for next year and another try against an elite defense should benefit him in how to read it in future years. But small picture, I'd start MBT as he might give them a better chance at having some kind of passing game on Friday.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I'm with you on Ford. He's always struck me as a player that can come in and juice an offence on short notice due to his unique qualities, but I feel like he'd get exposed as an every day starter when teams have time to game plan around him.

He doesn't have the greatest arm, and if he's contented in the pocket like he was last week his effectiveness goes away fast. By no means am I writing him off or anything, but I agree that the hype is a bit much. He's good, but far from a saviour.
Yep. CFL correction has occurred. Ford got scouted enough to know his tendencies and how to contain his run. Ford has only 97yds rushing this season. I think he got that in one game last year.

For some reason though Ford is the fire up the team guy, something in his personality, but I'm not convinced always that the support solely in him is deserved. I mean MBT passed for close to 500yds and people still wanting Ford starting. The fans are a bit to blame as well. MBT getting booed earlier in season and the crowd shouting Ford. To me that was a bit uncalled for. Well the fans got what they wanted. A reality check on Ford not being some kind of magic.

Where they commentator hype goes off the charts is when Ford is being credited, constantly, for all the runs of Rankin, Leake, Brown. As if Ford made these and the RPO factor. In the case of Leake and Rankin they're just making great runs and doing that no matter who is QB. Ford not so much. Zero yds rushing..

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I generally agree with the comments about MBT. He's done everything you'd expect in the starts this season with only 2 games being below average (2nd Ottawa game and 1st Hamilton game). His relief appearance Saturday was also pretty bad, but I'm not sure how much of that was the recievers also getting flustered by the Winnipeg secondary as they (Gitten in particular) seemed to be getting confused about where to be on the field and when to look back at the ball.

For Ford the jury is still out. His good games have been very good and very entertaining, but he's also had several stinkers both last year and this year.

I am a bit hesitant, however, to read too much into Saturday's game. It was his first start in awhile, and it was vs. a team that's been to 3 straight Grey Cups and currently the best pass defense in the league and it's not particularly close. This same defense held Vernon Adams to 0 points and 4 first downs in an entire game. Have no doubt, I think Ford was bad on Saturday and was calling for MBT to relieve him even before the INT, but I'm just not sure how much of it was him vs how much of it was Winnipeg getting to him.

Big picture, I'd probably start Ford as ultimately a Cup run is a pipe dream this year and we may be better off developing him for next year and another try against an elite defense should benefit him in how to read it in future years. But small picture, I'd start MBT as he might give them a better chance at having some kind of passing game on Friday.
i think Fords start needs to be considered in context of how much he got good field position. We're getting booming punts and the Bombers offense didn't show until second half. We were starting at midfield or Bombers zone on some drives and doing nothing or turning ball over and the picks and fumble by Ford were generally awful. Drive stoppers all of them.

The Elks D and punting were so good that it should have been possible to generate something, and some scoring plays. I'm concerned that Ford is being scouted and shut down. Not just this game. Ford hasn't been able to run the ball all season. Its just one facet of him, but its his prime aspect that he brings. Ford is not a better passer than anybody else. But his calling card is being a better runner than near any QB. Ford seems too to need the runs to get his mojo going. Its his fallback position when struggling, and now he doesn't have that. Its a concern. When you factor in that our Oline is great at run blocking it makes it an even bigger concern Ford is getting nothing in rushing. This is a far better Oline this season imo.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
i think Fords start needs to be considered in context of how much he got good field position. We're getting booming punts and the Bombers offense didn't show until second half. We were starting at midfield or Bombers zone on some drives and doing nothing or turning ball over and the picks and fumble by Ford were generally awful. Drive stoppers all of them.

The Elks D and punting were so good that it should have been possible to generate something, and some scoring plays. I'm concerned that Ford is being scouted and shut down. Not just this game. Ford hasn't been able to run the ball all season. Its just one facet of him, but its his prime aspect that he brings. Ford is not a better passer than anybody else. But his calling card is being a better runner than near any QB. Ford seems too to need the runs to get his mojo going. Its his fallback position when struggling, and now he doesn't have that. Its a concern. When you factor in that our Oline is great at run blocking it makes it an even bigger concern Ford is getting nothing in rushing. This is a far better Oline this season imo.

I hear what you're saying on Ford, and for sure Saturday was a terrible performance especially in light of the fact our special teams were flipping the field 10-20 yards on each exchange in a defensive battle. Even his completed passes were such that the receiver needed to bail him out to make it a completion.

But prior to Saturday he was passing the ball quite well so far this year going 35 for 46 (76%) and 473 yards and a 5 to 1 TD to INT ratio in about 7 quarters of football. Granted it was a small sample size and Hamilton, BC and Saskatchewan weren't exactly pass defense juggernauts, but those are pretty good numbers.

I guess my point really is that if you are thinking of a future beyond the next 6 weeks, I can see it being worthwhile to let Ford struggle a bit and learn some hard lessons particularly against a tough pass defense like Winnipeg in hopes it hardens him into a more rounded QB or alternatively if he really shits the bed, maybe you decide not to hitch next year's wagon to him.

All in all, to this point in his career I view him as quite over rated, but it's hard to deny the excitement he can bring to the game.

All this said, I have no issue with MBT starting Friday. Just throwing some counterpoint is all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad