CFL 2024

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Ford really reminds me of Tracy Ham.

More of a half back with a decent arm. Great mobility --Ford may develop his passing skills further as Ham did. Ford's ability to escape the pass rush is fun to watch and he can extend drives whereas MBT was a simple 2 and out when the defense started bringing the house.

B.C. will watch game film and find ways to contain Ford but it will still be a very interesting matchup. I don't think the Lions have a talent level which exceeds that of the EE by a significant margin.

On another note, it looked to me like MBT on the sidelines was almost disappointed by the win. What was this guy's rep before coming to Edmonton?

Cornelius didn't have what it took to be a #1 but he struck me as much more of a team guy than this other dude. Not very impressive.

WEMCHUD

Oct 28, 2014
So I don't follow the elks that closely, usually just get the odd updates on local sports radio nowadays, but I was looking for some explanation on why the team hasn't started Ford more often?

Not really sure I understand how the guy who helped the Elks get their first home win since changing their name, and a qb who I believe has started in 6/9 of the elks wins since he signed isn't getting more starts

Last edited:
Reactions: bellagiobob

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
So I don't follow the elks that closely, usually just get the odd updates on local sports radio nowadays, but I was looking for some explanation on why the team hasn't started Ford more often?

Not really sure I understand how the guy who helped the Elks get their first home win since changing their name, and a qb who I believe has started in 6/9 of the elks wins since he signed
Nobody knows. It’s been a mystery. People thought it was as simple as Jones having a beef with him but after he was fired Jackson was preaching the same message. Even as recently as a half time interview in the last game against Hamilton Jackson was stating MBT was his starting quarterback even though the team was struggling offensively. For whatever reason he changed his mind an hour later and Ford has been lighting it up since. It’s been an odd situation for sure.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

More of a half back with a decent arm. Great mobility --Ford may develop his passing skills further as Ham did. Ford's ability to escape the pass rush is fun to watch and he can extend drives whereas MBT was a simple 2 and out when the defense started bringing the house.

B.C. will watch game film and find ways to contain Ford but it will still be a very interesting matchup. I don't think the Lions have a talent level which exceeds that of the EE by a significant margin.

On another note, it looked to me like MBT on the sidelines was almost disappointed by the win. What was this guy's rep before coming to Edmonton?

Cornelius didn't have what it took to be a #1 but he struck me as much more of a team guy than this other dude. Not very impressive.

Looks like Adams won’t be playing next week, so that’s good for us. Very winnable game for us. If I remember correctly Corn’s body language on the bench for the first few games after he was benched was pretty bad. As for MBT, Jones raved about his leadership abilities and how he was going to be the perfect mentor for Ford. We don’t see any of what happens in the room, but from an external viewpoint it doesn’t look like any of that happened.

Reactions: Heavy Dee

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

Not really sure I understand how the guy who helped the Elks get their first home win since changing their name, and a qb who I believe has started in 6/9 of the elks wins since he signed

Jones seemed to go out of his way to criticize Ford, and always praised the various other underachieving QB’s. It really seemed that he just didn’t like Ford, and it got worse when Ford instantly started winning games when Jones reluctantly put him in last year. Ford was just doing his job, but it seemed that Jones couldn’t handle that he was so incredibly wrong about which QB to start, and for two straight years paid exorbitant money to two underachieving QB’s, only to have them both blow up in his face. Both Jones and Jackson kept putting out feelers that Ford was an issue in practice, in the room, etc, but every time Ford started you could see the change in attitude from his teammates, they were thrilled he was finally playing, basically the opposite message the coaches were publicly hinting at.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018

He probably came to a realization his time as a professional football starter is done. I’m sure he’s happy for Ford and the team.

I have never heard of anything that would make me question his character in the past.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
Jones seemed to go out of his way to criticize Ford, and always praised the various other underachieving QB’s. It really seemed that he just didn’t like Ford, and it got worse when Ford instantly started winning games when Jones reluctantly put him in last year. Ford was just doing his job, but it seemed that Jones couldn’t handle that he was so incredibly wrong about which QB to start, and for two straight years paid exorbitant money to two underachieving QB’s, only to have them both blow up in his face. Both Jones and Jackson kept putting out feelers that Ford was an issue in practice, in the room, etc, but every time Ford started you could see the change in attitude from his teammates, they were thrilled he was finally playing, basically the opposite message the coaches were publicly hinting at.
That scrub Geroy was on the radio bashing Ford in the same manner. He doesn't derseve any credit for last night or whatever the team does for the rest of season.

grego

Jan 12, 2005
Saskatchewan
Ford would need a bit of time to know if he can remain a true starter. As a fan it is impossible to know if he puts in the work learning opposition defenses as sent to him by coaches.

The details of his team's offense and how breakdown happen.

But it can take almost a year if playing until opposition teams realize he is a starter and they adjust game plans to try and neutralize his play.
If he can continue to play well and win for an extended period of time while teams are doing game prep and scouting to face him then he is a the starter. And he hasn't been give that chance yet

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I have no idea how Joey does it, going from town to town like a circus act, eating copious amounts of whatever food they put in front of him. What a way to make a living.
Have you ever watched Adam Richman in Man vs Food? He's a machine.

That cant possibly be healthy. :laugh:

I mean how does that dude feel for the next few hours (or even days) after washing down almost 350 donuts in mere minutes without even chewing? :help:
1722881128190.png

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I'm having difficulty giving Jackson any credit for finally starting Ford. He had a game before to do it and only inserted him with 5 minutes left, and MBT had been absolutely sucking for the entire game. Ford only started because it was ultimately blatantly obvious to any casual observer in the Phillipines or a 5 year old, that MBT was a terrible option and had been one for nearly the entire season. I honestly would prefer they clean house from the top right through to the bottom, as well as having an owner.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I'm having difficulty giving Jackson any credit for finally starting Ford. He had a game before to do it and only inserted him with 5 minutes left, and MBT had been absolutely sucking for the entire game. Ford only started because it was ultimately blatantly obvious to any casual observer in the Phillipines or a 5 year old, that MBT was a terrible option and had been one for nearly the entire season. I honestly would prefer they clean house from the top right through to the bottom, as well as having an owner.
That halftime interview in the Hamilton game spoke volumes. Team losing again and offence not moving the ball at all yet again and he’s vehemently defending his decision to play MBT. Not wavering in the least.
I am curious though why he was doing a 180 an hour later and putting Ford in with 5 minutes to play. There was no upside for him unless he was convinced it wasn’t going to make a difference but that it might shut people up. In any event, he was wrong and now he looks like a jackass just like Jones did.

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007
That halftime interview in the Hamilton game spoke volumes. Team losing again and offence not moving the ball at all yet again and he’s vehemently defending his decision to play MBT. Not wavering in the least.
I am curious though why he was doing a 180 an hour later and putting Ford in with 5 minutes to play. There was no upside for him unless he was convinced it wasn’t going to make a difference but that it might shut people up. In any event, he was wrong and now he looks like a jackass just like Jones did.
Everything you & S89 said is right. There have been lots of stupid coaching & management decisions that have led to a plethora of losses & dwindling attendance at Commonwealth. Jackson finally did the right thing. It doesn't matter to me why. I'm going to keep looking forward to a brighter future with Ford as QB1. The time to dwell on horrendous previous mistakes is over- for me anyway.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

There were reports that MBT was nicked up, so likely not any kind of a genius move by Jackson.

Last edited:

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
If Ford can keep it up, he’s going to have management completely bent over a barrel. There is a serious lack of QB talent in the league right now and a homegrown talent will be attractive.

If he can once again lead them to a few more wins down the stretch he’s going to be able to name his price and the team is gonna have to pay. What option do they have, let him walk?

IMG_5669.gif

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
I don't see the coaching or management changes as any big move or change in direction yet. I doubt if they will be. Hopefully they have room on that stupid coaching and mgmt cap to make some changes.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I don't know that I'd give him credit either, but I understand how things played out.

Not exactly opposed to a new coach giving MBT the two starts he got.

I don't think MBT was as horrible as people are making him out to be. He essentially had us in every game up until the Hamilton one.

The only one I really blame for the whole MBT/Ford situation is Jones. He brought MBT and forced some hands here.

I guess thankfully Jones didn't trade Ford like another GM did with Ray back in the day

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $731.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,052.00