CFL 2024

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
There by default, but then won a game more often than not.

The Eskimos in the Maas era were competitive, but under performers. The 2016 and 17 teams in particular should have had a better fate than losing to the Redblacks in a cross over East Final and losing to the Stampeders in 2017 (Mass not knowing the score). There were many games in that time frame that were simply thrown away as well, forcing the team into cross over situations when they were good enough on paper to make it in the West.

The Elks today just aren't that talented. The 2015-19 end of the Eskimo era was an exercise in frustration because a lot of those teams had legit talent in key areas, but did nothing with it. This version of the team just is what it is - shit. If anything this version of the team has over performed just to put themselves in situations to throw games away.
In watching the games it becomes evident that the EE defense has a tough time with pass coverage and nobody can tackle either. The number of YAC yards given up is grotesque.

You can argue that its a lack of ability to draw talent from the U.S. but its clear that other teams can and do latch on to guys who are more capable.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I'll bet that if they rename it to "Esks", the howling will be just as loud if you went back to "Eskimos". The screamers will say it's just an abbreviated version of the former horrible name, and therefor, just an end around to wind up at the same place.
I think all of this speculation about a name change is simply premature.

Buy the team, get the deal done and then test the waters to see if the political climate has changed enough to attempt a name change.

I think "Esks" would be a fair compromise but as you say, if they simply called them the Edmonton Football Club you would still have people who protest.

Reactions: bellagiobob

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
I think all of this speculation about a name change is simply premature.

Buy the team, get the deal done and then test the waters to see if the political climate has changed enough to attempt a name change.

I think "Esks" would be a fair compromise but as you say, if they simply called them the Edmonton Football Club you would still have people who protest.
How do you merchandise that name though? Hard to build a brand, logo etc.

They have some history with Elks they can build on. I think it would be a mistake to go back, and I say that having had Eskimos tickets for almost 20 years. Trying to make everyone happy results in no one being happy.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
How do you merchandise that name though? Hard to build a brand, logo etc.

They have some history with Elks they can build on. I think it would be a mistake to go back, and I say that having had Eskimos tickets for almost 20 years. Trying to make everyone happy results in no one being happy.
Well, the discussion can go on forever but I agree that if you could simply change the name back to "Eskimos" then do it (and be done with it) but without getting into a political discussion (which is against the rules, probably for good reason) you will face the wrath of some powerful people in the country. Is it worth it considering that the league might be on its death bed? That's another question that is open to debate.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I'll bet that if they rename it to "Esks", the howling will be just as loud if you went back to "Eskimos". The screamers will say it's just an abbreviated version of the former horrible name, and therefor, just an end around to wind up at the same place.

This is the sad truth.

This brand of people doesn’t understand what the word compromise means. They perceive their opinion as black and white “right.” They envision themselves as civil rights warriors of the 60’s (an actual valid, material cause), so anything short of strict compliance to their view is, in their tiny mind, “wrong.”

It’s an incredibly poisonous mindset, at they will howl if “Esks” is the solution no matter how much obvious sense it makes.

Esks alone is a horrible name. I know the history and it works great as a nickname, but having the full official name as the Edmonton Esks is not good. How do you market that? What does it even mean?

Either change it back to Eskimos, or leave it as Elks.

PS, can we please return to yellow numbers. So tired of the Packers look.

Well they can’t possibly market “Elks” much worse. “Think of all the stuff they can do with the Antlers!”

Esks is considerably more marketable because it actually has some connection with football in this city, rather than the lazy moron default of the only non-offensive word they could possibly think of that starts with an “E.”

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
Well, the discussion can go on forever but I agree that if you could simply change the name back to "Eskimos" then do it (and be done with it) but without getting into a political discussion (which is against the rules, probably for good reason) you will face the wrath of some powerful people in the country. Is it worth it considering that the league might be on its death bed? That's another question that is open to debate.
Leadership ain't easy.

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
When players can now make more on an NFL practice squad or playing Arena football than coming to Canada and playing in what most Americans consider a 3rd rate league and that Canadians now all go to the NFL unless they aren't good enough to hang around as 4th stringers on a practice squad we get today's CFL.

None of this is new, a practice squad spot in the NFL has long been pretty much coveted over a CFL roster spot. The arena part is wrong though, arena football has never paid anything close to CFL money and the leagues have been through bankruptcy and barely exist today at all. Arena football made a return in 2024 but only half the teams survived through the season, that's not a remotely healthy league.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
They likely meant every part of that, and it speaks to their desire to cleanse their souls and virtue signal to everyone due to a a tiny group of screamers. The fans they wanted were the wokesters that were all over them to change the name, and the love and loyalty of their 2 biggest sponsers. Ironically, both of those groups abandoned them or never showed up in the first place.

Tell the new organization to "get over it." You know, the same one that can't draw flies now.

Boo f***ing hoo. Snowflakes. The lot of you. It’s imagine how fragile and threatened white boomers are of “wokesters.”

Abandon the team. Stop bitching about it. Y’all are gonna be 90 years old soon and still complaining about the name change and some offhand comment made years earlier.

Reactions: oXo Cube

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Boo f***ing hoo. Snowflakes. The lot of you. It’s imagine how fragile and threatened white boomers are of “wokesters.”

Abandon the team. Stop bitching about it. Y’all are gonna be 90 years old soon and still complaining about the name change and some offhand comment made years earlier.

Looks like a lot of people have.

But to be so crass to tell people to “stop bitching” about something that was taken for dubious reasons (to say the least), is frankly bullshit. People have a right to complain, especially those invested in the team and brand for decades.

Maybe the “stop bitching” directive would be better sent to the folks that flew in, raised shit, then left as soon as they got their way. They didn’t care before and certainly don’t care now. Minding their own business might have made more sense.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018

giphy.gif

Just a hockey forum dude.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

But to be so crass to tell people to “stop bitching” about something that was taken for dubious reasons (to say the least), is frankly bullshit. People have a right to complain, especially those invested in the team and brand for decades.

Maybe the “stop bitching” directive would be better sent to the folks that flew in, raised shit, then left as soon as they got their way.
Clearly you lot aren’t still invested in the team. All I see in this thread is how you’ve all abandoned the team and nothing they can do will ever bring you back.

giphy.gif

Just a hockey forum dude.
Lol act as if there aren’t hundreds of posts of rage about this organization and the name change for years lol.

Its just so silly to still be so upset about it.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Clearly you lot aren’t still invested in the team. All I see in this thread is how you’ve all abandoned the team and nothing they can do will ever bring you back.

Lol act as if there aren’t hundreds of posts of rage about this organization and the name change for years lol.

Its just so silly to still be so upset about it.

Nope, I’m not. Followed your directive. Doesn’t mean I don’t have a right to be bitter about it.

But it’s the people that swooped in, got what they wanted, then left that were somehow in the right. They can bitch and moan all they want under the laughable guise of “justice,” but those left with this comical facsimile of what used to be the Montreal Canadiens of the CFL are the ones that are supposed to shut up and comply. For sure. You bet.

That’s some interesting mental math to get to that conclusion.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018

It’s just so silly to still be so upset about it.
Raging about people raging is just as silly. :sarcasm:

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012

Maybe the “stop bitching” directive would be better sent to the folks that flew in, raised shit, then left as soon as they got their way. They didn’t care before and certainly don’t care now. Minding their own business might have made more sense.
We have a few new posters this week that I haven't previously seen on the football thread. That's good. It looks like interest in the team is on the rebound.

Reactions: Heavy Dee

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
You want fans back in their seats then change the name to the Eskimos. The downfall was the name change and if the new owner has any balls or is not woke he will listen to the real fan, not some 20-year-old snowflake
I don't see what changing a name really does at this point. A name change doesn't change the fact that the team is absolute garbage on field.

I don't see it really hurting either, but I don't expect any sort of massive attendance spike because of a name change

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad