Central Division Predictions

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Let's talk about the division that has seen the most changes this offseason.

Who do you think makes the playoffs out of this division?

Dallas, Colorado and Winnipeg did not improve this offseason. Nashville did. Utah did. Chicago did.

Nashville and Minnesota are still paying heavily for buyouts this season, which constrains their spending.

Does Stamkos make it through the season? Does Bedard put the division/league on notice? Any other prospects to watch? Does Utah make some noise? Literally and figuratively? Does Nichushkin play for the Avs this year? Landeskog?

Let's hear it.

Last edited:

Azzuri

Feb 6, 2017
Dallas will be better due to bigger roles for Johnston, Stankoven, and Bourque. Pavelski dragged that top line down heavily last season (even if he scored 67 points, metrics and eye test both showed many plays died on his stick.

Defense will be a wash with what they were pre-Tanev (still a top team in the league). Nill will add to the D at the deadline again.

Expect them in a similar standings position next year as they were last year.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Dallas will be better due to bigger roles for Johnston, Stankoven, and Bourque. Pavelski dragged that top line down heavily last season (even if he scored 67 points, metrics and eye test both showed many plays died on his stick.

Defense will be a wash with what they were pre-Tanev (still a top team in the league). Nill will add to the D at the deadline again.

I think Dallas has a top 3 defense that puts them up there. After that they thin out, we'll see though the new additions aren't just plugs...Forward talent has thinned out after the offseason so they definitely need a youth push, similar to Jets, who moved on from 4 over 30 players. You wonder when Benn and Seguin decline.

Colorado is a tough one for me...Top end talent is there. But it falls off after that and prospect pool is thin. Goaltending is most uncertain of contenders.

I think Nashville is well positioned with star power for a dynamite PP. But Ryan O'Reilly is going to have to carry a heavy load again.

Jets need to play with same structure under new coach and need some players to step up, players on expiring contracts, and prospects.

I think Chicago moves up...2nd season for Bedard could see him emerge into the MacKinnon ranks...Defense and goaltending has improved.

Minnesota looks the same to me as last season...I think they need a big season from Rossi to take a step..

St. Louis I am watching to see of Hofer takes the reigns from Binnington...not sure where they are at defensively though.

Utah I think could still be in the basement...Defense improved though so we'll see what impacts Sergachev and Marino have in their play. Lots of prospects to work with.

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW
I'd be a bit surprised if Dallas didn't win the division. Their depth has them set up the best to navigate the injuries and individual slumps that come with an 82-game season. Also, Johnston, Stankoven and Bourque should all improve, giving them more firepower up front.

Obviously not impossible for them to not win it, and I don't think they'll run away with it, but I do think they're in the driver's seat at the moment.

Last edited:

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
MN should be better than last year, but not by much. Spurgeon missed the whole of last year, basically, and Brodin 20 games. If they can be relatively healthy, their D will be much better.

Some of the older forwards had awful years last year, and should have a bit of a dead cat bounce collectively. If Boldy, and Rossi continue to improve(likely), and Ohgren and Khusnutdinov show that they can even be top 9 players then the forwards should be better.

Gustavsson will probably be somewhere between his great 22-23 year, and his horrible 23-24. Don't expect much from Fleury, but Wallstedt will be a year older, and ready to contribute.

I expect the Wild to return to their usual fringe playoff team status, and flame out in the 1st round, as per usual. Where that puts them in the Central, I'm not sure. 3rd - 5th?

Reactions: Obvious Fabertism

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
Dallas and Winnipeg overachieved last year and didn't get better in the offseason. Colorado has the best high end talent but had health issues that are hard to predict. If everyone is healthy:

Colorado, Dallas, Winnipeg, Nashville, St. Louis, Utah, Minnesota, Chicago
I think Winnipeg and Dallas drop a lot this year and get passed by Nashville. Utah and the hawks will win a lot more games this year which will muddy things up quite a bit. I think the hawks have a huge jump in points and I wouldn't be surprised if they add Laine, regardless they will score a lot of goals
The Avs are like the oilers, they have some gaping holes and big Questions and if they lose Nate and Makar for any length things could get ugly. But if they stay healthy their elite, top end guys, can win them games.

Colorado
Preds
Dallas
Jets

Hawks
Wild
Utah
Blues.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022

Their d has dumba and Lubushkin, not sold on the right side.

I really like their young guys but sophomore slumps are a thing and I'm not hating on them but the team as a whole imo overachieved last season. Plus with Utah and Chicago improving, there's less gimme games. I mean they are still an easy top three team in the central but I'm not convinced they are one or two.

Azzuri

Feb 6, 2017
Their d has dumba and Lubushkin, not sold on the right side.

I really like their young guys but sophomore slumps are a thing and I'm not hating on them but the team as a whole imo overachieved last season. Plus with Utah and Chicago improving, there's less gimme games. I mean they are still an easy top three team in the central but I'm not convinced they are one or two.

Their D had a hobble Hankappa and 39yo Suter last season before the TDL and they still were a top 3 team in the league. They'll be fine. Miro/Harley/Lindell take the big minutes where needed.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
This is a really tough division to predict IMO, Dallas and Colorado should be in good shape, except they each have major weaknesses that have not been addressed yet. Dallas' D and Colorado's depth overall are very poor compared to the rest of their rosters, you imagine they will need to address those issues at some point, but the timing will impact their regular season performance. I think both are still the playoff favorites if they get there, but each is also very exposed if injuries hit.

Nashville made a lot of paper improvements to the roster, but often that much change does not pay immediate dividends until chemistry develops, very high variance of possibilities for that club, but high potential if everything goes well.

The Wild are in a much better position than they were last year, there will be a point this season where they get $13MM in cap space back and they get their captain back on D. The injury situation is very unlikely to be as bad as last year when Kaprizov, Boldy, Brodin, Spurgeon, and Foligno all missed significant time or played through significant injuries. And when injuries do hit, their depth is in a much better position to handle it with additional experience and access to at least replacement level guys in the prospect pool.

WPG is a solid team with pretty good depth, especially at D, I expect them to be in the mix all season. Hard to read what their actual top potential is, I could see them finishing anywhere from 1-6 in this division. I could see them in the running for the Jennings.

St. Louis is another tricky read, I am not a big believer in their D or G, but they do have some talent throughout the forwards and even with down years last season, they have rebound potential if things come together. I think it will be tough sledding though and they would not be in my playoff favorites.

Utah is a total crap shoot, that roster has been making steady progress over the past few years, but started from a real weak place, feels like a matter of time before they really click, although I think they are still missing some tools to really compete in this division. I would not be surprised to see them really take off in the new environment and ride a wave of energy up the standings, but I think their playoff run potential is one of the lowest in this division.

Chicago has holes everywhere still, young D and forwards that heavily lean offense is a recipe for lots of goals against. They may not be battling for 1st overall, but I feel pretty confident that they don't finish above 7th in this division.

Reactions: wetcoast

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Dallas and Winnipeg overachieved last year and didn't get better in the offseason. Colorado has the best high end talent but had health issues that are hard to predict. If everyone is healthy:

IMO - Dallas didn't overachieve. They've got a bunch of young talent on the rise that IMO has them still getting better. Upgrading the blueline would definitely help, but they're IMO right on par with the Oilers for the best team in the WC.

Reactions: wetcoast

Sgt Schultz

Jun 30, 2019
Santa Fe, NM
The Central looks like a collection of teams that could fall anywhere withing about a 5 slot range. Colorado and Dallas may be the exceptions and probably should be in the first 3 slots barring catastrophe. Winnipeg could put itself in that group and all but seal off the top three slots, we'll see.

Comments from a Blues fan perspective
St. Louis I am watching to see of Hofer takes the reigns from Binnington...not sure where they are at defensively though.
Hofer becomes an RFA after the season and only has one year of significant playing time. He looked like he could be the heir apparent to Binnington, and I think the hope is he solidifies that so they know what to do with him. I don't think the expectation is he will take the reins this year, but perhaps make Binnington expendable heading into next year. Binnington still steals wins for this team, so Hofer has to prove he can do that going forward.

I don't think Blues fans are sure where they are defensively, either. There are a couple of contracts that keep them from making much progress at the position until next year. Krug and Faulk transition from no-trade contracts to modified no-trade after next season. I'd rather they keep Faulk, but he may be of more interest elsewhere and it is possible they could both be moved.

I think the Blues could be in for a rough season.
It could be. Our defense has been somewhere between bad to awful the last two seasons, and if the goaltending falls off at all, it could be a long season. We also need to see continued progress by the emerging forwards, and if that stalls, it could get real ugly. One thought on why they retained Bannister as coach is to facilitate that development.

St. Louis is another tricky read, I am not a big believer in their D or G, but they do have some talent throughout the forwards and even with down years last season, they have rebound potential if things come together. I think it will be tough sledding though and they would not be in my playoff favorites.
I have not been a believer in their D. The goaltending has been pretty good, but suffers from severe lapses by the D in front of them. It was rock bottom in 23-24 and a little better last year, but that could have been like elevating from the Keystone Kops to Laurel and Hardy. Let's just say that how the front office handled the defensive roster after about 2019-20 has been "interesting." I don't know that they could have resigned Pietrangelo, but essentially swapping him for Krug left a big gap in their own end that was never addressed.

For the record, I don't hate Krug, but I do not like him on this defensive corps. He adds something to the blue line on the attack, but he gives up too much in our own end. His ankle condition may make that a moot point, anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: Obvious Fabertism

Marlowe Syn

R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D
Sep 2, 2008
DeepSouth of PNW
Yeah the Central is wild this year I'm looking forward to see who's prognostications are smarter than mine.

Dallas- I look at this team and I see a lot more room for internal improvement from the youth than I do of regression from the vets. If this team has one weakness it's their right side defense. Strong team.

Nashville- Stamkos still has plenty of scoring left on his stick. I hate that signing as a rival fan, but love it for them. Skjei was another real solid signing. I am betting on a monster season from Saros. Got another proven big stage winner in Jonny March. I am pretty darn close to crowning them division champs. This is still too much of the "on paper" bias team. We shall see this season.

Colorado- I'm not a fan of their depth and not sold on Georgiev. They do have the high end talent though.

Winnipeg- I never know what to make of this team. So mushy middle it is.

Minnesota- The top line will carry the offense. Brodin-Faber will shut down the opponents. Who knows what they will get from a returning Spurgeon and the goaltending. Running it back and lagging behind. Go Wild.

St. Louis- I see this team trending in the wrong direction. Roster doesn't really instill any fear. Does Binnington build on a good rebound season? Will Nick Leddy get eaten by the next dinosaur fish he's angling for?

Utah- They improved no doubt, but still have some work to do. A playoff team is not built in a year. I see this squad having the extra jump early in the season with the new faces and excitement of a new market.

Chicago- Still have a way to go after a quite comprehensive tank job. The only addition(outside of the draft) that moves the needle for me is Teuvo Teravainen

MBTendy

May 6, 2009

Not sure why you would think that. They were right where many expected to be last year.

Although Dallas did not improve from their roster (TDL onwards), you could argue their team is on par with where they were pre-TDL, if not maybe slightly better. Which was 80% of the season.

Dumba > Suter
Lybush >/= Hakanpaa
and their bottom depth improved which sets them up nicely if they get any injuries with Smith, Lundqvist, and Bischel (big x-factor) all serving as depth D. Last season they had no one they could rely on after their top 6.

As for their forward group, even though Pavs put up 60, he was not good for much of last season and really dragged Robo/Hintz down. Johnston is poised to break out while Stank and Bourque are ready to take the next step.

Dallas and Colorado should be a lock for 2 of the 3 division spots. After that I’d probably rank them:

Nashville
Jets (WC)
Utah
Minnesota
St Louis
Chicago

StumpyTown

Sep 26, 2016
Dallas and Colorado will be fighting for 1 & 2 all season.
The Jets look to have another fantastic regular season, not 110 points fantastic, but they could easily break 100 again if they stay healthy. If not the Jets could very easily be in the crapshoot at the bottom of the division.
Nashville should be close to that 95-100 as well with some nice additions.
The rest is a crapshoot in my opinion.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Yeah the Central is wild this year I'm looking forward to see who's prognostications are smarter than mine.

Dallas- I look at this team and I see a lot more room for internal improvement from the youth than I do of regression from the vets. If this team has one weakness it's their right side defense. Strong team.

Nashville- Stamkos still has plenty of scoring left on his stick. I hate that signing as a rival fan, but love it for them. Skjei was another real solid signing. I am betting on a monster season from Saros. Got another proven big stage winner in Jonny March. I am pretty darn close to crowning them division champs. This is still too much of the "on paper" bias team. We shall see this season.

Colorado- I'm not a fan of their depth and not sold on Georgiev. They do have the high end talent though.

Winnipeg- I never know what to make of this team. So mushy middle it is.

Minnesota- The top line will carry the offense. Brodin-Faber will shut down the opponents. Who knows what they will get from a returning Spurgeon and the goaltending. Running it back and lagging behind. Go Wild.

St. Louis- I see this team trending in the wrong direction. Roster doesn't really instill any fear. Does Binnington build on a good rebound season? Will Nick Leddy get eaten by the next dinosaur fish he's angling for?

Utah- They improved no doubt, but still have some work to do. A playoff team is not built in a year. I see this squad having the extra jump early in the season with the new faces and excitement of a new market.

Chicago- Still have a way to go after a quite comprehensive tank job. The only addition(outside of the draft) that moves the needle for me is Teuvo Teravainen
For me I see Colorado as the best bet to collapse...Nickushkin was a big part of the team success. He's gone, as is the veteran leadership of Parise and Cogliano, and Landeskog is completely uncertain after 2 years away...Joe Sakic has a lot of Cap space tied up there to juggle while one of them at least won't count against the Cap for a few months. Top end talent is good...Can Drouin repeat his success? Can this team sustain injuries? Is there anyone who can step up on the farm?

I think Nashville will improve but their improvement comes up front mostly, swapping out Mc Donaugh for Skej you are exchanging two good d-men there.. Skej is a little younger and faster. Nashville has moved up to have a competitive top 6 forward group, but are they still going to be the lunch pail team they were last year that relied on goaltending?

I think Dallas and Winnipeg are still the teams to beat in the Central. But the margins between top and bottom are closer.

Reactions: triggrman

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Chicago - much improved, I believe they added the most free agents out of any team in the League. Active 22-man roster I put together is valued at 78M, so this is not a bottom dweller anymore. But I feel like up front there's either skill players who don't like playing defense or old grinders who won't score much. Coming up with line combinations that are effective both ways is a challenge I think. I'd say the team has the potential to be a bubble team, but on the wrong end of it, and making the playoffs is very difficult.

Colorado - when Nuke comes back it's still one of the top teams in the League. Start of the season is the biggest challenge, and will have an affect on their end-season record. But if they ice the team that they're supposed to have for most of the year (and I don't count Landeskog in that - he's a total wild card), they're in good shape.

Dallas - Pavelski retired, but it doesn't feel like a whole lot has changed. The last couple of years they've been a team that gets the job done and I have no reason to believe they wouldn't this season. Heck, you could probably expect a better year out of some of their best players. Minus Heiskanen it felt like Hintz, Robertson and Oettinger could've all been better last year.

Minnesota - bounce-back season. I think they will be in the playoff mix. Last year they battled a lot of adversity and were still one of the better teams not to make the playoffs. Group is much of the same that made it for consecutive years, and Rossi can realistically hit another level this year. Kaprizov is still something many teams don't have, and their top 3 D is very good.

Nashville - obviously exciting moves in the summer. I like the teams identity under Brunette. I don't know if the new shiny toys help them quite reach a top contender level, but they 100% should be a playoff team.

St. Louis - one of the better bubble teams in the League I think, but it feels like they're stuck at that level. They spent way too much time defending last season and I don't know how they can drastically change that. They did add some players with younger legs, but even if they improve somewhat, statistically their 5-on-5 game will likely be mediocre still.

Utah - I see them as a bubble team as well. I think Utah is one of the best budget teams in the League (their active roster value is close to the cap floor). Relocation is exciting and they have some new players, but they need Cooley to take a couple of steps and be a legit 1C to challenge for a playoff spot. Possible, but a lot to ask from a 20 year old.

Winnipeg - I predicted them to be a strong team last season and they were, but for some reason I'm not that excited about them this year. I mean, they were very consistent, and not a whole lot changed, but after getting stomped by the Avs and only losing players in the off-season (Monahan + Dillon), I don't know. Does the team believe? They're defensive minded with mediocre at best d-core. That doesn't quite add up. It's like they're built to hide their weaknesses until they get exposed in the playoffs. Scott Arniel has been a head coach once in his entire NHL career and he didn't get to 2 full years before he was fired. Is he the right guy? Maybe they're good in the regular season again, maybe not. I don't know, but I do feel like they will take a step back from finishing 4th. Either way, their forwards, Hellebuyck and Morrissey should still keep them in the mix.

TL;DR Central doesn't have a real dogshit team, so it's a very competitive division. All 8 teams could and honestly in a perfect world probably should finish the season above Bettman .500. There's a chance 5 teams make it, but Dallas, Colorado and Nashville in my eyes are the 3 best teams. Jets might regress closer to what they were 2 years ago, and I like the Wilds chances of rebounding.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Chicago - much improved, I believe they added the most free agents out of any team in the League. Active 22-man roster I put together is valued at 78M, so this is not a bottom dweller anymore. But I feel like up front there's either skill players who don't like playing defense or old grinders who won't score much. Coming up with line combinations that are effective both ways is a challenge I think. I'd say the team has the potential to be a bubble team, but on the wrong end of it, and making the playoffs is very difficult.

Colorado - when Nuke comes back it's still one of the top teams in the League. Start of the season is the biggest challenge, and will have an affect on their end-season record. But if they ice the team that they're supposed to have for most of the year (and I don't count Landeskog in that - he's a total wild card), they're in good shape.

Dallas - Pavelski retired, but it doesn't feel like a whole lot has changed. The last couple of years they've been a team that gets the job done and I have no reason to believe they wouldn't this season. Heck, you could probably expect a better year out of some of their best players. Minus Heiskanen it felt like Hintz, Robertson and Oettinger could've all been better last year.

Minnesota - bounce-back season. I think they will be in the playoff mix. Last year they battled a lot of adversity and were still one of the better teams not to make the playoffs. Group is much of the same that made it for consecutive years, and Rossi can realistically hit another level this year. Kaprizov is still something many teams don't have, and their top 3 D is very good.

Nashville - obviously exciting moves in the summer. I like the teams identity under Brunette. I don't know if the new shiny toys help them quite reach a top contender level, but they 100% should be a playoff team.

St. Louis - one of the better bubble teams in the League I think, but it feels like they're stuck at that level. They spent way too much time defending last season and I don't know how they can drastically change that. They did add some players with younger legs, but even if they improve somewhat, statistically their 5-on-5 game will likely be mediocre still.

Utah - I see them as a bubble team as well. I think Utah is one of the best budget teams in the League (their active roster value is close to the cap floor). Relocation is exciting and they have some new players, but they need Cooley to take a couple of steps and be a legit 1C to challenge for a playoff spot. Possible, but a lot to ask from a 20 year old.

Winnipeg - I predicted them to be a strong team last season and they were, but for some reason I'm not that excited about them this year. I mean, they were very consistent, and not a whole lot changed, but after getting stomped by the Avs and only losing players in the off-season (Monahan + Dillon), I don't know. Does the team believe? They're defensive minded with mediocre at best d-core. That doesn't quite add up. It's like they're built to hide their weaknesses until they get exposed in the playoffs. Scott Arniel has been a head coach once in his entire NHL career and he didn't get to 2 full years before he was fired. Is he the right guy? Maybe they're good in the regular season again, maybe not. I don't know, but I do feel like they will take a step back from finishing 4th. Either way, their forwards, Hellebuyck and Morrissey should still keep them in the mix.

TL;DR Central doesn't have a real dogshit team, so it's a very competitive division. All 8 teams could and honestly in a perfect world probably should finish the season above Bettman .500. There's a chance 5 teams make it, but Dallas, Colorado and Nashville in my eyes are the 3 best teams. Jets might regress closer to what they were 2 years ago, and I like the Wilds chances of rebounding.
I like your analysis, but I still have a hard time seeing where Colorado is going to get offense from...They are going to need a dynamite PP.

Minnesota still has Chisholm, Bogosian, Merrill at the bottom of their defense. Guys like Hunt or Lambos might be called upon. Their forward group is uninspiring after the big guns. Recycling Nashville coaches has only got them so far.

Jets defense is probably what you describe it as, but I think getting the buy in to play team defense is something Arniel can work with...he did coach the team last year with a decent record. I think it's a tighter team without Dubois.

I'll go out on a limb and predict

1. Winnipeg
2. Dallas
3. Nashville
4. Chicago

As the playoff teams in the division. Chicago if they get a good start will get the fanbase rocking again.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL

1. Colorado
2. Winnipeg
3. Nashville
4. Dallas
5. St. Louis
6. Minnesota
7. Chicago
8. Utah
Utah ain't finishing last lol.

It's going to be...

1. Dallas (Should comfortably win this division with all the youth taking the next step)
2. Colorado (Finally found a 2nd line centre to pull away from the rest of the pack)
3. Winnipeg (Haven't heard good things about this head coach, probably fall back a tad)
4. Nashville (Definitely the fourth-best team by a long-shot, but depth is still an issue)
5. St. Louis (The best .500 team in the NHL and should be in challenging for a playoff spot)
6. Utah (Will be exciting and a big step towards the future)
7. Minnesota (Won't go anywhere until the buy outs come off)
8. Chicago (Will be a lot better next season, but still a learning lesson for the youth)

Nashville- Stamkos still has plenty of scoring left on his stick.
I don't think you've watched them enough, Stamkos isn't a good 5v5 player anymore. All he does is wreck on the PP, making him one-dimensional at this point. If Stamkos was worth it, I mean truly worth it, Tampa wouldn't have let him walk.

He's gone, as is the veteran leadership of Parise and Cogliano
Those two were unplayable last season and Cogs really fell off big time. Kovalenko and Foudy are better than him. Parise didn't even come until the last part of the season, and his veteran leadership didn't stop Nuke from going all Scarface.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I've got Dallas, Colorado, Nashville, Winnipeg, Utah making the playoffs from the Central.

Exact order, if I were to guess and without accoutning for injuries I've got:

Colorado
Nashville
Dallas
Winnipeg(wc1)
Utah(wc2)

But there's huge ???s around Colorado in particular. Full health they're by far the deepest team. But they're going to start the year without Nichushkin, and possibly without Lehkonen and Landeskog also. So it could be a slow start for them.

Reactions: SpaceCoyote

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad