Celebrate tanking for Celebrini — 2024 NHL Entry Draft

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

CHIshark

Nov 26, 2016
During the GM search, I doubt any candidate submitted a plan taking longer than 3 years to get the Sharks competitive. No way are we on a 5 to 6 year rebuild. A lot depends on which core players want to stay. Meier is going to get a big payday, whether or not with the Sharks. I really want to see how MG issues player contracts to mid and high-level players. NTC's? Eight year deals? Short contracts with a "promise" of a big payday later? So far MG has done well with signing low-tier players.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
During the GM search, I doubt any candidate submitted a plan taking longer than 3 years to get the Sharks competitive. No way are we on a 5 to 6 year rebuild. A lot depends on which core players want to stay. Meier is going to get a big payday, whether or not with the Sharks. I really want to see how MG issues player contracts to mid and high-level players. NTC's? Eight year deals? Short contracts with a "promise" of a big payday later? So far MG has done well with signing low-tier players.
There is absolutely no plan that gets the Sharks competitive in three years, unless the plan is to “compete” for a playoff spot and pick 10th overall for the next decade.

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose
There is absolutely no plan that gets the Sharks competitive in three years, unless the plan is to “compete” for a playoff spot and pick 10th overall for the next decade.
You are probably right but I‘ve been generally pessimistic about the Sharks since EK signed that contract and Im tired of being that guy. I want to start being more optimistic without being delusional. So, if we get 3 top 10 picks and things fall in place, we could become a competitive team on the rise. Im here for it.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
I mean, that's basically what they're doing now because this org is still delusional
Pretty much, though I do feel for Grier as it's difficult to fix the mess that DW has created these last 5+ seasons. I realize that he did a lot in his overall tenure, but given his last few years as a GM I can't believe they have a banner for him...

Reactions: landshark

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I mean, that's basically what they're doing now because this org is still delusional
Do you know that? Because Grier hasn’t done anything that has given any indication of what his philosophy is. I think the best thing I can say about him so far is the obvious but correct decision to leave Eklund and Bordeleau in the AHL this season and not to panic and rush a call-up just because the Sharks are struggling. He hasn’t made any short-sighted trades either, and moving Burns made me feel a little optimistic about him. But until Grier makes a big move he’s still a big question mark to me. I get that he’s hamstrung by the bad contracts that Wilson handed out in his last few years, but eventually he’ll have to do something to prove himself. Trading Karlsson, Meier, or Couture would be a good start. We’ll see what happens.

Reactions: Gecklund

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
That was the last 5 years though lol

Jul 10, 2010
For all of New Jersey’s shrewd moves this summer, I think people are forgetting that they have drafted in the top-6 every year since 2017 except 2018 (Hischier, Hughes, Holtz, Hughes, Nemec), even if three of them aren’t major contributors yet, and got the benefit of a youngish bonafide #1D signing with them as a UFA. Even if the Sharks get a top pick this season, the route to contention is 5+ years away. By that time, all the big contracts other than Hertl will be off the books, so honestly who cares.
going by this logic would you not say we are already 2 years in from when we selected Eklund?

I think theyre 3 years away assuming they get two top contributors this year and next.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad