Celebrate tanking for Celebrini — 2024 NHL Entry Draft

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

StanleyCup2035

Oct 1, 2017
Speaking of tanking. Did Meier talk too much about tanking to his national soccer team? They tanking out of World Cup being down 4–1. That Swiss defense has more holes than Swiss cheese. Anyway, back to hockey! Tank on this year and next! We have the right GM/Coach/Owner/Players to get the job done

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
Six d-men in the top 10 as well.

SJ has struggled immensely to develop top pairing d-men. As we continue what I anticipate will be a ~7+ year tank, the team really, really need to hit a couple of home runs. At least one must be a d-man. Probably easiest to have an elite one drop into our lap, as Vlasic and Ozolinch are the closet we've come to a #1 D in 30 years, and they are one-way #2s.

From '06 to '20 top 128 picks have delivered Ferraro, Merkley, Mueller, Kniazev, Roy, Cuktse, Bergman, Vanier, Groulx, Wrenn, Doherty, Petrecki, Wishart, Delroy. 15 years and only 5 guys who played more than two NHL games (Petrecki had one). One top 4 d-man in Ferraro. Two #6/7 replacement level guys in Mueller and Wishart, and two boom/bust in Merkley and Kniazev. Over the past 15 years, the team has underinvested in defense, and what they have delivered has been even worse. Forwards are much better with Meier, Hertl, Tierney, Coyle, Norris, Nieto, McGinn, but over a 15 year period you need more than that.

If you expand to '01 you get Vlasic, Carle, Ehrhoff, and Spang (0 games). Honestly that's a great run. Having a five year run like that at any point in the last 15 years, and SJ might still be a contender, but those were all from 16-20 years ago.

Insanely long careers (and loyalty) of Thornton, Marleau, Pavelski, Blake, Couture, Vlasic and shrewd trading of crap for Boyle, Burns, and Thornton has been the teams key to success. Hertl and Meier further extended to the window, but this rebuild has at least 5 more years, longer if they can't figure out how to develop d-men.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I'd think I'd consider it for #2, a blue chip prospect, and an unprotected first from next year. So it'd look like Carlsson/Fantilli, Cooley/McTavish, and next year's unprotected first? I dunno.
I’m kind of in the same boat but I think I’d only do it for a blue chip D prospect. Someone like Hughes for example. Probably Nemec/Jiricek too. Bedard for Fantilli+potential 1D.

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay
Six d-men in the top 10 as well.

SJ has struggled immensely to develop top pairing d-men. As we continue what I anticipate will be a ~7+ year tank, the team really, really need to hit a couple of home runs. At least one must be a d-man. Probably easiest to have an elite one drop into our lap, as Vlasic and Ozolinch are the closet we've come to a #1 D in 30 years, and they are one-way #2s.

From '06 to '20 top 128 picks have delivered Ferraro, Merkley, Mueller, Kniazev, Roy, Cuktse, Bergman, Vanier, Groulx, Wrenn, Doherty, Petrecki, Wishart, Delroy. 15 years and only 5 guys who played more than two NHL games (Petrecki had one). One top 4 d-man in Ferraro. Two #6/7 replacement level guys in Mueller and Wishart, and two boom/bust in Merkley and Kniazev. Over the past 15 years, the team has underinvested in defense, and what they have delivered has been even worse. Forwards are much better with Meier, Hertl, Tierney, Coyle, Norris, Nieto, McGinn, but over a 15 year period you need more than that.

If you expand to '01 you get Vlasic, Carle, Ehrhoff, and Spang (0 games). Honestly that's a great run. Having a five year run like that at any point in the last 15 years, and SJ might still be a contender, but those were all from 16-20 years ago.

Insanely long careers (and loyalty) of Thornton, Marleau, Pavelski, Blake, Couture, Vlasic and shrewd trading of crap for Boyle, Burns, and Thornton has been the teams key to success. Hertl and Meier further extended to the window, but this rebuild has at least 5 more years, longer if they can't figure out how to develop d-men.

I don’t understand how anyone can look at the Sharks roster, contracts, and prospects and see a team competing for anything important in the next 2-3 years. Even if they where to keep all the best parts of those and move on from any dead weight, they need to add an entire 2nd line (or three legit top6 forwards), three top 4 defenders (including an all situations #1/2), another goalie (probably the most easily addressed), and a few quality bottom 6 forwards.

Even granting that Couture and Karlsson would remain on the roster and productive, their spots would also need to be filled within a few years with quality replacements.

My point being this team should be focused on drafting and developing and shrewdly acquiring quality prospects and futures. It doesn’t need to, and shouldn’t, happen all at once, but strategically over the next 3-5 years.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I don’t understand how anyone can look at the Sharks roster, contracts, and prospects and see a team competing for anything important in the next 2-3 years. Even if they where to keep all the best parts of those and move on from any dead weight, they need to add an entire 2nd line (or three legit top6 forwards), three top 4 defenders (including an all situations #1/2), another goalie (probably the most easily addressed), and a few quality bottom 6 forwards.

Even granting that Couture and Karlsson would remain on the roster and productive, their spots would also need to be filled within a few years with quality replacements.

My point being this team should be focused on drafting and developing and shrewdly acquiring quality prospects and futures. It doesn’t need to, and shouldn’t, happen all at once, but strategically over the next 3-5 years.
The Sharks will be lucky to complete the tear-down portion of their rebuild in two to three years. They will still be eating Vlasic's contract, Jones' buyout, Burns' retention, and likely a Karlsson retention while probably looking at Ferraro's contract as a new Simek and see Couture's deal become something they'd have to retain on to get something done as well. I agree with the focus. The timeline though is something I'm a lot more pessimistic about because they barely have any young talent to go towards a new young core.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
For all of New Jersey’s shrewd moves this summer, I think people are forgetting that they have drafted in the top-6 every year since 2017 except 2018 (Hischier, Hughes, Holtz, Hughes, Nemec), even if three of them aren’t major contributors yet, and got the benefit of a youngish bonafide #1D signing with them as a UFA. Even if the Sharks get a top pick this season, the route to contention is 5+ years away. By that time, all the big contracts other than Hertl will be off the books, so honestly who cares.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad