CBS Announces Changes to " The NFL Today " Show

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Matt Ryan will join the show while both Phil Simms and Boomer Esiason are out.

from apnews.com:

Matt Ryan, who retired last week after 15 years in the NFL, will join CBS Sports as a studio analyst on “The NFL Today” and Phil Simms and Boomer Esiason will leave after long runs on the show, the network announced Monday.

Ryan will join James Brown, Nate Burleson, Bill Cowher and JJ Watt. The 2016 NFL MVP and four-time Pro Bowl quarterback joined CBS Sports last season as an NFL game analyst and appeared in studio during the playoffs and Super Bowl.

“Matt had an outstanding first year at CBS Sports, excelling as both a studio and game analyst,” CBS Sports president and CEO David Berson said. “He is the consummate team player and a Hall of Fame person. We love the chemistry he has with the studio crew and we’re excited to see him entertain NFL fans and share his passion, insight and perspective alongside JB, Nate, Coach and JJ.”

The contracts of Simms and Esiason expired after the Super Bowl.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Matt Ryan was really good in the booth, he should have stayed there. He could be a top guy in that spot.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Didn't care for Simms or Esiason.
New generation of fans never saw them play. And with more recent retired players joining media like Watt, Gronk, Edelman and co need to make room for them. I mean CBS has had Marino, Scott, Sharpe, Gonzalez and others on the in studio panel.

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
New generation of fans never saw them play..
I've heard this explanation (& I guess justification) a couple times during the analysis of Simms & Esiason being replaced. But I've honestly never heard a fan complain about a good commentator, being before their (spectating) time.

I liked Pat Summeral a lot, and he played before my time. I also liked Irv Cross in the studio when I was a kid, but never saw him play.
I understand if a commentator is becoming forgetful, etc. This happened to Sam Huff, calling Washington games on the radio, but.. Esiason is still sharp.
I think this was a top-down decision. CBS wants more youth, but fans weren't grassroots complaining because they didn't remember Esiason firsthand (?)

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I've heard this explanation (& I guess justification) a couple times during the analysis of Simms & Esiason being replaced. But I've honestly never heard a fan complain about a good commentator, being before their (spectating) time.

I liked Pat Summeral a lot, and he played before my time. I also liked Irv Cross in the studio when I was a kid, but never saw him play.
I understand if a commentator is becoming forgetful, etc. This happened to Sam Huff, calling Washington games on the radio, but.. Esiason is still sharp.
I think this was a top-down decision. CBS wants more youth, but fans weren't complaining because they didn't remember Esiason firsthand (?)
There is value in having more recent players as analysts to relate to the current players and game. Simms and Boomer played in a different era.
Simms and Boomer overall are fine analysts but do they move the needle or are memorable? Probably not.

Reality of the media business. Who knows if any of the new ones will last as long as Bradshaw, Long, Strahan, Simms, Boomer, Cowher, etc have? Plenty of cbs analysts have come and gone over the years. Fox has been the more stable group of studio analysts.

I guess we should not discount whether cost was a factor. Might have been an opportunity to get some savings with new blood.

Last edited:
Reactions: Babe Ruth

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
There is value in having more recent players as analysts to relate to the current players and game. Simms and Boomer played in a different era.
Simms and Boomer overall are fine analysts but do they move the needle or are memorable? Probably not.

Reality of the media business. Who knows if any of the new ones will last as long as Bradshaw, Long, Strahan, Simms, Boomer, Cowher, etc have? Plenty of cbs analysts have come and gone over the years. Fox has been the more stable group of studio analysts.

I guess we should not discount whether cost was a factor. Might have been an opportunity to get some savings with new blood.

Fox has had James Brown, Terry Bradshaw, Howie Long since the 90's.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Yep. I don’t know if Watt or Gronk will have that kind of staying power. Strahan has been with fox for like a decade. Jimmy much be close to 2 decades now. But I think Fox is getting ready to part with him for someone else.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Yep. I don’t know if Watt or Gronk will have that kind of staying power. Strahan has been with fox for like a decade. Jimmy much be close to 2 decades now. But I think Fox is getting ready to part with him for someone else.

Strahan had that short lived FOX comedy show "Brothers" after the 2007 Super Bowl run. That show was so horrible lmao.

But Strahan and Jimmy have been there for quite some time now.

Reactions: Babe Ruth

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Strahan had that short lived FOX comedy show "Brothers" after the 2007 Super Bowl run. That show was so horrible lmao.

But Strahan and Jimmy have been there for quite some time now.
Jimmy is 80 and been then for over 20 years. Strahan is closer to 15 years or so now.
Like I said, Fox crew has been consistent with those 4 for a while not. Swapped JB for Curt M. several years ago.

CBS, Cowher and Boomer the mainstays. Nate and Watt are newer additions to replace guys they cycled through. Simms there since they added Romo and he took the top color spot several years ago.

With the supply of former players wanting to get into media, these networks have their choice and should aim to guys who draw people in. See who sticks and shuffle through the ones who don't draw viewers.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Simms was treading water once Romo took his job.

Matt Ryan was pretty good as color guy so and I might have watched only one or two games, so it is not surprising he got the job.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Bradshaw has been becoming more tiresome to hear when doing halftime highlights.
But at the same time, people are used to what he provides, and disturbing the formula may not be desired.

Or it's some sort of thanks for making us and you can leave on your terms when it comes to Bradshaw and Long for FOX.

The NFL of FOX to me...came off as the more dynamic presentation while CBS was....stodgy....
I mean, if not for the plethora of AFC power these days that isn't a killjoy like the Pats, people would prefer watching the FOX presentation over the CBS.

As far as hosting goes though, I like JB more. Menafee is slightly annoying.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Bradshaw has been becoming more tiresome to hear when doing halftime highlights.
But at the same time, people are used to what he provides, and disturbing the formula may not be desired.

Or it's some sort of thanks for making us and you can leave on your terms when it comes to Bradshaw and Long for FOX.

The NFL of FOX to me...came off as the more dynamic presentation while CBS was....stodgy....
I mean, if not for the plethora of AFC power these days that isn't a killjoy like the Pats, people would prefer watching the FOX presentation over the CBS.

As far as hosting goes though, I like JB more. Menafee is slightly annoying.

Bradshaw is getting up there in age, he can still go but not sure for how long. Howie has been fine.

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
Bradshaw..
"Stodgy" is a good description. I like the CBS studio, but it is more formal (& stiff) than FOX.. even down to Cowher, who looks like he can't move his neck laterally. And I remember when (a glassy eyed) Bart Scott was there, he always looked like he was searching for his words.

CBS has just never had the chemistry or flow of FOX. But I don't think it's bad. And I felt Esiason had some of the best, most direct takes.
Bradshaw really was a game-changer in how football studio shows operate. He was a lot more playful than his predecessors. Now that looseness is industry standard.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
"Stodgy" is a good description. I like the CBS studio, but it is more formal (& stiff) than FOX.. even down to Cowher, who looks like he can't move his neck laterally. And I remember when (a glassy eyed) Bart Scott was there, he always looked like he was searching for his words.

CBS has just never had the chemistry or flow of FOX. But I don't think it's bad. And I felt Esiason had some of the best, most direct takes.
Bradshaw really was a game-changer in how football studio shows operate. He was a lot more playful than his predecessors. Now that looseness is industry standard.
The Fox crew gives off the impression that they hang out and can just relax around each other. So, their presentation comes off more casual but close knit.
CBS comes off more buttoned up but stiff. Like they just show up for work and go their separate ways.

But, changes are coming for both. Jimmy Johnson is 80 and seems like he's going to be pushed out probably when his contract expires. Terry, so long as he keeps his senses together will be there and doesn't fumble the hi-lights too much.

Simms and Boomer being moved off was time. Especially with both contracts expiring. Plus, that set was getting crowded with JB, Simms, Boomer, Cowher, Nate, and Watt.

I do wonder if CBS is gunning for Jason Kelce? Word is that he's gotten offers from all of the big media companies, including Amazon.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The Fox crew gives off the impression that they hang out and can just relax around each other. So, their presentation comes off more casual but close knit.
CBS comes off more buttoned up but stiff. Like they just show up for work and go their separate ways.

But, changes are coming for both. Jimmy Johnson is 80 and seems like he's going to be pushed out probably when his contract expires. Terry, so long as he keeps his senses together will be there and doesn't fumble the hi-lights too much.

Simms and Boomer being moved off was time. Especially with both contracts expiring. Plus, that set was getting crowded with JB, Simms, Boomer, Cowher, Nate, and Watt.

I do wonder if CBS is gunning for Jason Kelce? Word is that he's gotten offers from all of the big media companies, including Amazon.
Kelce is going to ESPN

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Kelce is going to ESPN
I recall hearing that there were some who said it’s better to join cbs/fox/amazon just because ESPN would need him to be on multiple shows. Maybe he was wise enough to take less money and limit his appearances to certain shows only since he has his own personal projects in the go as well.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I recall hearing that there were some who said it’s better to join cbs/fox/amazon just because ESPN would need him to be on multiple shows. Maybe he was wise enough to take less money and limit his appearances to certain shows only since he has his own personal projects in the go as well.
He’s going to be on MNF Countdown. Not sure what else.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
The best I can say about CBS is that it's better currently than NBC.

All their pre/post game stuff just makes me zone out since they got the NFL back.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The best I can say about CBS is that it's better currently than NBC.

All their pre/post game stuff just makes me zone out since they got the NFL back.
NBC, I thought their pre and half time show was better with Tireco and Dungy on it. Never a fan of Rodney. Just doesn't have the personality or smoothness to be on camera. Garrett is fine. Florio, so long as he keeps most of his analysis more towards the business side of things, as there is no reason to listen to his analysis of the game. McCourty, kind of on similar lines with Rodney. Just doesn't have the engaging personality that Gronk/Edelman have on TV.

But, now they moved Dungy and Rodney to pre-game with Jak (I don't know why NBC has him on an NFL show. Keep him just for ND games).

I wonder how aggressive NBC was with Kelce. Not much difference for him to go from Phi to Connecticut or NY to be in Studio. Feels like his personality would have a lot more engagement from the former Player POV than what Rodney and McCourty give. Maybe then swap Garrett back for Dungy.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad