Value of: CBJ UFAS + Goaltenders

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
It really depends on what CBJ value more. Test driving and potentially extending RNH + Koskinen or adding 2 x 2nd round picks.

Elvis would fetch you a 2nd
Foligno would likely fetch a 2nd + prospect like Jones

Do it quick enough and if RNH doesn't seem like a fit you can flip him at the deadline for something else.
You can word it any way you want but no way the CBJ are trading a legit NHL goalie who might be a star for a guy they might lose in a few weeks (rememeber there is no playoff run for the CBJ)...if they are trading for RNH they are trading for a long term solution at the centre position. Given your options I'd rather trade him for a second rounder and hope to sign RNH in the off-season as a UFA.

But I am not taking that deal right now either. If Elvis or Korpi are being traded for a draft pick(s) its happening in the off-season.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I think this is a fair deal as long as RNH is willing to agree to terms on his next contract ahead of time). You have to not just look at what a team is getting but also what a team is losing.

CBJ get: potentially a #1 Centre. RNH will be the #1 C on the UFA market this off season so the CBJ should be bidding for him anyway...if they can get past the bidding war and just lock him up now its worth it. They also get a backup goalie who can handle more than a backup load (though could be lost in the expansion draft)

Oilers gets: a legit NHL goalie who might be a star plus a loaner forward who does a little bit of everything and is a big help for the playoffs.

CBJ lose: a potential star goalie but they already have another starter on the roster plus a guy in Cleveland who many think has more upside than Elvis and Korpi and could be the starter within three years anyway and a forward they might re-sign in the off-season after trading him away.

Oilers lose: a C/F they are struggling to sign anyway (likely because he wants the chance to prove he's a top line C, a throw away d-man and a goalie they no longer need because Elvis will be in the house.

In the end, neither team is giving up something they can't afford to lose and both teams are getting something they really need. Its a win-win trade...which means it will likely not happen.
I kind of put Danault ahead of RNH, myself. At the C position, anyways.

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
I think this is a fair deal as long as RNH is willing to agree to terms on his next contract ahead of time). You have to not just look at what a team is getting but also what a team is losing.

CBJ get: potentially a #1 Centre. RNH will be the #1 C on the UFA market this off season so the CBJ should be bidding for him anyway...if they can get past the bidding war and just lock him up now its worth it. They also get a backup goalie who can handle more than a backup load (though could be lost in the expansion draft)

Oilers gets: a legit NHL goalie who might be a star plus a loaner forward who does a little bit of everything and is a big help for the playoffs.

CBJ lose: a potential star goalie but they already have another starter on the roster plus a guy in Cleveland who many think has more upside than Elvis and Korpi and could be the starter within three years anyway and a forward they might re-sign in the off-season after trading him away.

Oilers lose: a C/F they are struggling to sign anyway (likely because he wants the chance to prove he's a top line C, a throw away d-man and a goalie they no longer need because Elvis will be in the house.

In the end, neither team is giving up something they can't afford to lose and both teams are getting something they really need. Its a win-win trade...which means it will likely not happen.

Trust me when I say that you want to avoid RNH at all costs. He is godawful.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
I'm less concerned about the pipeline because the blueliners we do have are largely 1) young and 2) not going anywhere anytime soon. So I imagine that can be handled with late picks over the next year or three rather than being pursued right now when we have bigger, more glaring priorities.

You sure about that?
Doesn't Jones expire in 2022? Are you really that confident that he will want to stick around the current dumpsterfire that is the Blue Jackets? Does Jarmo really want to pay him 10-11m+ considering that he realistically can't risk him walk for free as well despite him not having a great season?
I honestly haven't read much about it one way or the other which is surprising to me considering that I personally think it is an even bigger storyline than what happens with Laine but it seems like that Laine story is sucking out all the oxygen from the question of what happens with Jones in the summer...

Don't want to upset you I am just wondering why you are so confident?
As an outsider looking in I am somewhat intrigued with what happens in Columbus. I personally think your best bet would be to go for a full blown rebuild (the moment you are entertaining Danault as your preferred option as your #1 C when he isn't even on your team yet is the moment you should start over IMO) so I am curious about how things turn out.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
You sure about that?
Doesn't Jones expire in 2022? Are you really that confident that he will want to stick around the current dumpsterfire that is the Blue Jackets? Does Jarmo really want to pay him 10-11m+ considering that he realistically can't risk him walk for free as well despite him not having a great season?
I honestly haven't read much about it one way or the other which is surprising to me considering that I personally think it is an even bigger storyline than what happens with Laine but it seems like that Laine story is sucking out all the oxygen from the question of what happens with Jones in the summer...

Don't want to upset you I am just wondering why you are so confident?
As an outsider looking in I am somewhat intrigued with what happens in Columbus. I personally think your best bet would be to go for a full blown rebuild (the moment you are entertaining Danault as your preferred option as your #1 C when he isn't even on your team yet is the moment you should start over IMO) so I am curious about how things turn out.
I think that, when you have literally everything else necessary for a good core except a single core piece, the idea that the only way to address the missing piece is tear everything apart and start anew from scratch is, frankly, asinine in the extreme.

Also, Danault would be more of a good stand-in and sheltering option while we try to get one or more of the four "project" guys we have (Domi, Texier, Roslovic, Foudy) producing effectively, with the bonus that he'd also be able to contribute long-term afterwards as well.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
I think that, when you have literally everything else necessary for a good core except a single core piece, the idea that the only way to address the missing piece is tear everything apart and start anew from scratch is, frankly, asinine in the extreme.

Also, Danault would be more of a good stand-in and sheltering option while we try to get one or more of the four "project" guys we have (Domi, Texier, Roslovic, Foudy) producing effectively, with the bonus that he'd also be able to contribute long-term afterwards as well.

I mean I disagree fundamentally. Don't really see a good core outside of a #1 C in place either. Atleast not in comparison to what other teams have.
And #1 C is the single most important part and almost impossible to fix. Especially for a team like the Jackets that have very little in their pool and no surplus pieces they can afford to lose that come even close to the type of value needed to make the trade.
But doesn't make much sense to argue it I guess.

I didn't really want to argue with you about the state of the Blue Jackets anyways. I was just curious about Jones and why you are so confident that he will be in Columbus longterm because I don't really see it unless Jarmo gives him an absurd contract. Atleast I wouldn't re-sign if I were him and so far I haven't really read anything about him one way or the other (aside from Portz thinking that 10-11m will have to be the starting offer for the Jackets if they want to keep him which sounded insane to me)...

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
I wouldn't re-sign if I were him and so far I haven't really read anything about him one way or the other

So you're merely projecting, got it.

I wouldn't move to Columbus either, but that doesn't mean a thing about what Jones wants to do.

Reactions: Fro

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
So you're merely projecting, got it.

I wouldn't move to Columbus either, but that doesn't mean a thing about Jones wants to do.

Not projecting. Just wondering why Viqsi is so sure that no one of their younger top end Ds is going anywhere anytime soon.

I don't even think Jones is necessarily leaving. I am just saying that I am surprised that I haven't heard much about this now that CBJ seems to be selling and wanted to know where her confidence is coming from.
I maybe shouldnt have mentioned that I think the Jackets are in a horrible spot and should rebuild but that was to explain why I am interested in this whole Seth Jones saga. He doesn't make any sense for my team (so this is not me angling to get Jones or other bs narratives people on the trade boards like to spin) but I have followed him rather closely since we had the #1 pick in 2013 and when I was sure he was the pick after we won the lottery. So I am curious what he does on a team that IMO is going nowhere and whether he will stay regardless and I haven't read anything aside from Portzlines (10-11m first offer) questionable article from a few weeks ago but maybe I did miss something and CBJ fans know more about it than I do?

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
2 good goalie and a 3rd on the way.
2 great dmen. 2more good ones (Gav & Peeke behind them.
Wingers for days (Laine, Bjorkstrand, Nyquist, Atkinson)
One of the better bottom 6.

Imo we just need a #1 center to put it all together. No reason (at least good one) to blow it up.

Maybe a new coach too.

Reactions: Fro, Monk and Viqsi

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Not projecting. Just wondering why Viqsi is so sure that no one of their younger top end Ds is going anywhere anytime soon.

I don't even think Jones is necessarily leaving. I am just saying that I am surprised that I haven't heard much about this now that CBJ seems to be selling and wanted to know where her confidence is coming from.
I maybe shouldnt have mentioned that I think the Jackets are in a horrible spot and should rebuild but that was to explain why I am interested in this whole Seth Jones saga. He doesn't make any sense for my team (so this is not me angling to get Jones or other bs narratives people on the trade boards like to spin) but I have followed him rather closely since we had the #1 pick in 2013 and when I was sure he was the pick after we won the lottery. So I am curious what he does on a team that IMO is going nowhere and whether he will stay regardless and I haven't read anything aside from Portzlines (10-11m first offer) questionable article from a few weeks ago but maybe I did miss something and CBJ fans know more about it than I do?

1. CBJ isn't really a true "seller" IMO. They'll trade a few less important assets for what they can get if it's worth it (MDZ, Riley Nash, Savard, maaaaybe Foligno, etc). No reason to trade someone like Jones unless it actually improves the team now.
2. CBJ has been one of the better teams in the league since Jones joined the team, so I'm not so sure he shares your "dumpsterfire" opinion. I certainly don't. (cue the "but the playoff wins!" stuff now)
3. Sure, if Jarmo gets the sense that Jones won't re-sign, or won't re-sign for a palatable #, then maybe look into trading him. No reason to rush into that, though.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
It's crazy how CLB have (potentially) all the players and types available.

3rd line C with heart
Top6 winger with heart , jam and ability
Net clearing, minute munching dman
Goalie support

Columbus, if done properly, could really set themselves up moving forward

Also crazy to think, they have all that... still selling and not contending

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

What @Dema and @Monk said pretty much covers it. There's also a healthy amount of spiteful "because f*** you, that's why" mixed in, but that applies to pretty much any time anyone predicts that my team and/or fanbase is doomed; it's an impersonal sort of spite. ;)

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
It's crazy how CLB have (potentially) all the players and types available.

3rd line C with heart
Top6 winger with heart , jam and ability
Net clearing, minute munching dman
Goalie support

Columbus, if done properly, could really set themselves up moving forward

Also crazy to think, they have all that... still selling and not contending
The Traitor's unexplained walkout, at a stroke, took us from "more than the sum of their parts" to "less than the sum of their parts" by simply taking all that glue that holds a team together and shoveling in a mountain's worth of FUD. We were hoping Tortorella would be able to, by sheer force of badassery (and past record here), pull things back together despite having both hands and a foot tied behind his back (several new people to integrate already, pandemic limiting practice time and adding to pressure, some of that FUD sticking to him personally), but, alas, while he's been very good here, it seems nobody is that good.

Seriously, I have real trouble thinking of any one thing that might have happened in the offseason that would have been more crippling to the team than PLD's actions short of stuff that would have involved criminal charges.

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
I wouldnt be against Berg or Studnicka. Depends on the cost.

I can only imagine picks coming from Jets.

EDIT: or Krejci

Last edited:

domi28

Dec 5, 2017
FYI - he was hit with a puck last night and went to the locker room. I don’t think there has been an update yet.

We would want a lot.

Out for rest of the season with a broken finger. :(

attackfan71

Dec 2, 2012
owen sound ont.
Kerfoot is not of interest for a number of reasons:
1) He's not top-6 capable, so that doesn't solve any problems here
2) We have no desire to downgrade further at C
3) His contract extends an extra year into that period where we'll be trying to retain Jones, Werenski, Laine, one of the goaltenders, and a few others
4) We're just way too f***ing tired of seeing his name over and over and over and over and over and

So no. :)
So thats a no then on kerfoot? Just want to confirm for a friend

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
So thats a no then on kerfoot? Just want to confirm for a friend
trouble.gif

dingbathero

No Jam? How about PB
Jul 14, 2010
St. John's, NL
Only centres I can think of that have not been happy or performing like they are unhappy are; Monahan and Eichel.

no idea what the Blue Jackets would have to give up for either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad