Proposal: CBJ Trades (ANA/WPG/DET/NJD)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ghdi

Feb 4, 2009
NJ
Carlsson isnt worth taking on the Clarkson contract in the slightest, plus we're giving up 2 picks and a free pass (Savard) to help a divisional opponent? This is one of the most undesirable proposals involving the Devils I've seen on here in a while.

To get this type of deal done, replace Carlsson with Werenski or Milano. CBJ is barely taking a risk and getting $22 million in cap relief over the duration of Clarkson's deal. Savard is a get out of jail free card since he doesn't even count against the cap once the season starts and his salary is insured. Real money matters. Carlsson isn't worth 22M + 2 picks (lol) and Clarkson has been useless for 3 straight seasons.

Clarkson's length, cost, and clauses prevent the Devils from even considering it without a true chip in the deal. Carlsson's not chopped liver, but he's not worth that package. We have a potentially better Carlsson in Santini waiting in the wings.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
Trade 1:

To ANA:
Hartnell w/ 25% retained (3.5625M) + Prout (1.575M)
receives 5.1375M in cap

To CBJ:
Despres (3.7M) + Stoner (3.25M)
receives 6.95M in cap

Trade 2:

To WPG:
Savard (4.25M) + Campbell (1.5M) + CBJ '17 1st Rd Pick (top-3 protected)
receives 5.75M in cap

To CBJ:
Trouba (RFA - signed to identical contract as Seth Jones, 6yr/32.4M)
receives 5.4M in cap

Trade 3:

To DET:
Johnson (4.357M) + Milano (863K)
receives 5.22M in cap

To CBJ:
Nyquist (4.75M) + Miller (1.025M)
receives 5.775M in cap

Trade 4:

To NJD:
Clarkson (5.25M) + Gabriel Carlsson (925K)
receives 6.175M in cap

To CBJ:
Savard (4.021M) + '17 4th Rd Pick + '18 TML 3rd Rd Pick
receives 4.021M

Jackets re-worked lineup would look like this...

F's:
Jenner-Dubinsky-Atkinson
Saad-Wennberg-Bjorkstrand
Foligno-Dubois-Nyquist
Calvert-Karlsson-Anderson
with Gagner, Miller as extras

D:
Murray-Jones
Werenski-Trouba
Goloubef-Despres
with Stoner, Kukan as extras

For expansion draft purposes
7F Protected: Dubinsky (NMC), Foligno (NMC), Saad, Wennberg, Atkinson, Jenner, and Nyquist.
3D Protected: Murray, Jones, and Trouba.
1G Protected: Bobrovsky (NMC).

edit: The Stoner, Savard, Miller, Goloubef and McElhinney contracts all come off the books after this season and next, which will save 9.85M on the cap for the next season which is enough room to re-up the core players that need new contracts over the next two seasons.

I don't see Pierre Luc-Dubois' name in that Devils trade. An honest mistake I'm sure.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Pass on Wings trade. Never been a JJ fan and Wings would need to subtract a body on defense if they're taking one on.

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
No way CBJ takes the Anaheim trade. Anaheim takes that and runs. I would love Hartnell in Anaheim though

Yes please, I made a proposal before with Hartnell being center piece coming ducks way, the man was born to play ducks hokey , and even more RC duck hockey

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
In the NJ Deal:

Replace Carlsson with:
Saad
OR
Werenski
OR
Jenner
OR
2017 1st + 2018 1st + 2017 2nd
OR
Atkinson + Dubinsky + 3rd round pick

Those options, packaged with Clarkson, will get you Savard + 4th round pick + 3rd round pick

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
As a cbj fan I do none of those except maybe the DET one but probably still no. I'm a huge Trouba fan but we don't need to deal with that agent again which is part of the reason ryjo had issues here and we have a great young top 4 and that's a lot to give up for a non need. Not saying anything about fair value or good or bad there just need isn't there for price and the Jets should hold onto him I've always thought he would be a great top pair D

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
Not saying the op was great for NJ or Wpg, but man is the some hyperbole flying around as counter

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
Way to many moves. I like this team as is and we have enough questions needing answered before making too many moves..

hockey17jp

Lets Go Jackets!
Apr 11, 2012
Columbus
Trade 3:

To DET:
Johnson (4.357M) + Milano (863K)
receives 5.22M in cap

To CBJ:
Nyquist (4.75M) + Miller (1.025M)
receives 5.775M in cap

This is a super terrible deal for Columbus. Gustav Nyquist is a perrennial 45 point scorer on a bad contract. We already have Cam Atkinson doing about the same thing for $1 million less. Jack Johnson's contract isn't pretty, but it expires a year before Nyquist's does.

It doesn't make sense to give away a good prospect to take on a salary with a longer term and higher pay than Johnson's.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Good Lord. Why on Earth is NJ giving you our LTIR one-year cap dump that does literally no harm to us, in exchange for your long-term cap dump we can't bury or buy out AND giving you picks?

Why don't we just trade you guys Hall for Calvert while we're at it? Geez.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Jets would never do quantity over quality for Trouba, easy pass. This is meant as an insult to the CBJ players offered, but Jets are worse team after that trade. Trouba being traded? Look for 1 for 1 big name trade, not multi misc pieces.

Group Chat Legend*

Still dumbfounded as to how one would think a team in the same division as Columbus would take on the league worst contract (or top 3) AND give up picks to do it :laugh:

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Trade 1: Hartnell, a guy we can use on any line, for two expensive D the Jackets don't have top 4 roles for? Jackets say no, Anaheim jumps at it.

Trade 2: Maybe both teams say no. The Jackets are set enough with kids on D, it's not helpful to trade a 1st rounder to move from Savard to Trouba, even though he has the higher upside.

Trade 3: This might work for both clubs, though I have to wonder if Nyquist, yet another expensive top six wing, is what the Jackets need. JJ would definitely help the Wings D a little bit but he isn't the transformative piece for the long run that they know they really need, so they might wait on that.

Trade 4: What are you smoking? The Devils obviously say no.

JD19, I have to wonder about your point here. Even if all of your proposals came to fruition, the team you have assembled has expensive pieces in Nyquist, Stoner, Despres, and Miller that the Jackets can't make much use of. As far as competitiveness the team is more or less the same as before.

Yes, the expansion draft situation is simplified, but you've also given up a lot of future value in these trades (a 1st rounder and Milano). We're going to lose one player, and one player only, no matter what we do to prepare for the expansion draft. Do you really think it is worth it give up so much given that we are going to lose one guy anyways? In other words, how much would you give up so that Vegas takes Calvert instead of Atkinson? It seem to me you're giving up too much. (and all of this pre-supposes that Hartnell and Clarkson both refuse to waive for the draft, which is unlikely.)

eternalbedhead

Let's not rebuild and say we did
Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA
I'm a little worried about the term on Hartnell's contract but I'd definitely take it with that set aside. Always been a big fan of his; I'd love to see him in Anaheim.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Can you explain why NJ would do that? I honestly can't think of a reason why they would. I'm not trying to be condescending or anything either btw.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Trade 4:

To NJD:
Clarkson (5.25M) + Gabriel Carlsson (925K)
receives 6.175M in cap

To CBJ:
Savard (4.021M) + '17 4th Rd Pick + '18 TML 3rd Rd Pick
receives 4.021M

giphy.gif

That is horrendous for New Jersey. Why exactly would the Devils do a divisional rival a massive favor like that, AND give up picks to do it?

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013
This is a super terrible deal for Columbus. Gustav Nyquist is a perrennial 45 point scorer on a bad contract. We already have Cam Atkinson doing about the same thing for $1 million less. Jack Johnson's contract isn't pretty, but it expires a year before Nyquist's does.

It doesn't make sense to give away a good prospect to take on a salary with a longer term and higher pay than Johnson's.

I take it you don't watch the Wings too much. Nyquist had a down year - ATOI 15 mins, SH % dropped, and plays a strong 200 ft game. The previous two years he potted 27 & 28 goals so I don't know how you chalk his contract up to bad. I wouldn't touch this deal from a Detroit perspective unless we decided to fully rebuild.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Trade 1, hell no. No interest in moving Hartnell for Stoner, and Despres isn't enough of an upgrade to justify the move.

Trade 2, neat but no thanks (and the Jets would turn it down without blinking). Trouba seems to want more than that, and while he would be nice to have we don't need to reach that far. The Jets, by contrast, desperately want a good LHD (Trouba's playing on the left for them as is) and so they'll demand Werenski or even Murray and be right to do so.

Trade 3, no particular interest. I lean torwards keeping JJ, since we've got plenty of quality forwards who score at rates like Nyquist does already.

Trade 4? Don't be absurd. No way in hell New Jersey even briefly considers that. That's hideously g-dawful and the Devils fans here are totally right to find it offensive. And there's no good reason for us to pay to remove Clarkson anyways; the amount that would have to be paid is just too high.

hockey17jp

Lets Go Jackets!
Apr 11, 2012
Columbus
I take it you don't watch the Wings too much. Nyquist had a down year - ATOI 15 mins, SH % dropped, and plays a strong 200 ft game. The previous two years he potted 27 & 28 goals so I don't know how you chalk his contract up to bad. I wouldn't touch this deal from a Detroit perspective unless we decided to fully rebuild.

Even if his contract is fair value the Blue Jackets are not in a position right now to be taking on more salary than they are giving away. We've got some great prospects who can hopefully step in and soon be able to score as many if not more goals than Nyquist. We don't need to take on another almost $5 million dollar contract for a guy who is already in his prime.

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013
Even if his contract is fair value the Blue Jackets are not in a position right now to be taking on more salary than they are giving away. We've got some great prospects who can hopefully step in and soon be able to score as many if not more goals than Nyquist. We don't need to take on another almost $5 million dollar contract for a guy who is already in his prime.

I agree both our teams cap situation is not pretty. I highly doubt that your prospects would be able to match let alone exceed Nyquist's goal production next year.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nhl/new...rleau-sidney-crosby/ayjeumc7ab351li4lusmypn3t

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Pass on Wings trade. Never been a JJ fan and Wings would need to subtract a body on defense if they're taking one on.

Why would we need to subtract a body to take JJ on? We've an open spot vacated by Quincey. It just means that either Smith or Marchenko are most likely our #7 D-man sitting in the press box most nights.

ghdi

Feb 4, 2009
NJ
Not saying the op was great for NJ or Wpg, but man is the some hyperbole flying around as counter

To get a team to take on Clarkson (arguably the worst contract in the league), CBJ would have to give up a piece that makes it extremely enticing to do so. Offering up what is essentially a mid-tier prospect for 22M and 2 draft picks on top of that is horrendous and not logical. On top of this its a divisional opponent. It would take a top tier prospect to get it even considered by a rational GM and that is not hyperbole in the slightest. Just last week Lawson Crouse was traded to Phoenix in return for taking on 3 years of Dave Bolland and $16+ million. Florida got 2 picks back (one of which is a 2018) and nothing else.

Clarkson is no guarantee to even play well enough to be worth league minimum, much less the 20+ million over the duration of his contract still due + he's got a no movement clause, so you can't even expose him, which means another player has to be left unprotected. He's entirely negative value. Taking back Savard is another gift. He's got a year left, will not count against the cap during the season, and the real money is insured. And two draft picks?? All this for Carlsson? Crouse was the #2 prospect in the entire Florida system and it was with a non-conference trade partner. Clarkson is more years and money than Bolland + Clarkson's NMC cannot be discounted in a year there's an expansion draft.

The OPs offer is completely weighed in Columbus' favor with literally 0 risk and nothing of fair value is being returned.

It would take a Dubois, Milano, or Werenski to even be considered. Its unrealistic otherwise to expect a divisional opponent to do a 4 year/$20M favor for them + tossing in two draft picks for a barely laudable prospect. I'm not saying Carlsson is crap, but he's not worth that and there are few who are and even less so to the Devils since we have strong defensive prospects in Santini and Jacobs already. It would be foolish for them to even think of doing it with the Devils in the first place since its in division and would cost more than doing something with a western team.

Last edited:

hockey17jp

Lets Go Jackets!
Apr 11, 2012
Columbus
I agree both our teams cap situation is not pretty. I highly doubt that your prospects would be able to match let alone exceed Nyquist's goal production next year.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nhl/new...rleau-sidney-crosby/ayjeumc7ab351li4lusmypn3t

I'm well aware of that, but the Blue Jackets are a rebuilding team. Why would we acquire a 26 year old (almost 27 year old) Nyquist who is already in his prime when we can focus on guys like Bjorkstrand who are still very young and will likely be scoring a lot of goals in a couple of seasons.

We simply don't need to pay Nyquist almost $5 million a year to put up 25 goal seasons on a losing team with no hope of playoff success. The trade makes no sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad