Confirmed with Link: CBJ trade Texier to St Louis for a 2025 4th round pick

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
Just to clarify - if it was Tex for a 3rd next year, I'd be a little disappointed 'cause I like him but could live with it. Screwing up the return when there is a clear, measurable, and obvious chart indicating the value is legit f***ing inexcusable.

But Waddell got a DEAL!

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Liked his tools, but the reality is that he had some of the worst one ice results in the team.

Hopefully he'll find more success in Blues

The reality was that he had a bad year. You're correct.

I think Tex can do better than that. He did look much better in the final couple of months. We've seen him get good on ice results in the previous years. I don't know why we would want to part with him now?

Reactions: Youngguns80

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
They clearly thought he was worth it, because literally the very first info we had at all about this was release of the contract info.
That still does not prove they thought he was worth giving up a 3rd this year to sign him to that contract. If they did they would have probably OS'd him.

Also to be clear I don't like the deal much unless Texier explicity wanted to leave. I'm not defending the choice but I don't see this as the Jackets not knowing what the OS compensation was.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
They clearly thought he was worth it, because literally the very first info we had at all about this was release of the contract info. Settling for less is an extremely bad sign.

You literally could not come up with a more perfect textbook case of Not Getting Proper Value For An Asset. Like, this is an example that could be pointed to for years to show the concept. I'm just relieved it's with something so relatively small.

I'm not sure I follow.

The release of the contract info doesn't imply to me that they didn't have the pick figured out.

Reactions: LJ7

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I'm not sure I follow.

The release of the contract info doesn't imply to me that they didn't have the pick figured out.
There's another theory that I hadn't considered plausible that is covered later in the thread (that otherwise Tex wouldn't have been QOed). I still think that's a f***up, but it's not an objectively demonstrable one, so now not only do I get to lose all faith in the guy, I no longer even have an irrefutable argument as to why.

• Wow
Reactions: Blueston

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022

I think Tex can do better than that. He did look much better in the final couple of months. We've seen him get good on ice results in the previous years. I don't know why we would want to part with him now?
It might be that Texier asked to be traded and Waddell wanted to do it sooner rather than later, before teams started to fill up their cap space during free agency.

Reactions: LJ7

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017

I'd guess making space in bottom 6 for a more veteran piece. Hopefully not just another 4th liner

domi28

Dec 5, 2017
A 30 point a year 15 minutes a night 3rd liner who kills penalties for $2.1m a year sounds exactly like a player this team could use.

I get that Texier never reached his ceiling but people are delusional if they think this franchise is so loaded with 1st line ceiling prospects that someone like Texier is blocking one of those guys. He wasn't going to return a 1st rounder but a 2025 4th is a bad return.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I'd guess making space in bottom 6 for a more veteran piece. Hopefully not just another 4th liner

The issue there is that he was on the 4th line, and Olivier and Danforth already bring those veteran qualities on that line. So we'd need to make space higher in the lineup to actually add veteran quality.

I'm starting to lean towards this being Tex wanting a fresh start, on a team that needs him more.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
No V, it is not about you. I downplay it because Tex was a mediocre player and W has a lot of stuff on his plate and to spend a lot of time worrying about how to get rid of a 4th liner is not a good use of his time.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
The issue there is that he was on the 4th line, and Olivier and Danforth already bring those veteran qualities on that line. So we'd need to make space higher in the lineup to actually add veteran quality.

I'm starting to lean towards this being Tex wanting a fresh start, on a team that needs him more.
Could also be that, there's been some of that going around. Waddell did say he'll be calling through the players to make sure everyone is committed to the project

Reactions: majormajor and LJ7

JacketFanInFL

Brick by Brick
Mar 27, 2006
Central FL
A 30 point a year 15 minutes a night 3rd liner who kills penalties for $2.1m a year sounds exactly like a player this team could use.

I get that Texier never reached his ceiling but people are delusional if they think this franchise is so loaded with 1st line ceiling prospects that someone like Texier is blocking one of those guys. He wasn't going to return a 1st rounder but a 2025 4th is a bad return.
That is exactly what this roster is loaded with - grinders who have reached their ceiling. And there are better, younger, faster, cheaper, players with potentially higher ceilings.

Reactions: Toe Pick

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Wish Texier well. Seems like a good kid and I’m rooting for his success

I had higher expectations for him when he came back. He always appeared satisfied with being where he was on the fourth line rather than make his way up the lineup. There’s legitimately top 9 (maybe even top 6) skill in there. I don’t know if he’ll ever bring it out. We have a bunch of fourth liners already but we will miss what Texier brings. But it’s hard to blame the team or him for moving on. Just missed on his potential so far, for a variety of reasons.
You nailed it .. guys that were not overly competitive, ok with the status quo , you are going to see those guys cut lose . Waddell is going to change the culture here

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
Scouting report on him?
Strong, energetic, fast, athletic player. Good hands and skills on their own which makes for really cool shoutout moves. Good on the boards.

Did not stick higher in the lineup despite those traits - by my estimate due to his play reading not being at a high level in the NHL. When he is on a fast and direct style line he excels but he struggles to fit in to offensive flow within a possession with playmaker types.

I also gather that he doesn't do well when he's not feeling 100%, not due to lack of will (he has PLENTY of will, instant fan favorite type), but rather due to his playstyle being very physically demanding. He doesn't have a "fall back" option skill set.

I really enjoyed watching him play and I'll miss him.

aRussian

Oct 21, 2007
Ohio
On the surface not impressed but I'll wait to see how draft and free agency goes. If we get a suitable bottom 6 replacement then suppose I can stomach it.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
You nailed it .. guys that were not overly competitive, ok with the status quo , you are going to see those guys cut lose . Waddell is going to change the culture here

Who are you talking about? Texier? The guy has an insane battle level. Most of our club should be taking lessons from him on compete.

You can't pay $2 million year to a 4th liner on a team that isn't contending.

You do that when you are close to a Cup, not when you are trying to juggle the 14 other forwards not named Texier on the roster

You've got it completely backwards.

Teams that aren't contending have the free cap (we do) to keep a strong 4th line and bet on players improving.

It's cup contenders that have to skimp because they spend all their cap higher in the lineup.

Like Ryan Lomberg and Kevin Stenlund and this version of Corey Perry would not make our current roster.

Reactions: Viqsi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad