Confirmed with Link: CBJ trade Texier to St Louis for a 2025 4th round pick

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
They just can't keep guys they don't want because they won't get the same pick comp for signing an offer sheet. How was Don supposed to know what St Louis was going to sign him for.
Given that the contract info was literally the first bit of news released, it's not exactly that much of a stretch to say that Tex had already been negotiating with the Blues. The third-round-pick compensation range is AAV of $1,511,702 - $2,290,457 per CapFriendly, and Texier's last contract was $1,525,000 - ALREADY within that range. Unless Waddell had gotten it into his head that Tex was going to take a discount to go to the Blues - like, literally turn down his QO and take less money - a 3rd next year was the bare minimum.

There really is no excuse.

Reactions: Youngguns80

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
The old GM would have hung onto Tex even though Tex was easily replaceable. Tex was the last of Jarmo's "prodigies". This is exactly the type of action I would want from a new GM who objectively evaluated the player and concluded that he was easily replaceable.

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Sponsor
Jul 13, 2022
Finland
Tex was always full of potential. Smaller scale Laine, always the hope that he can put it together next season. I was fairly hopeful when Tex came back that he'd make a nice difference. He didn't. I felt like he disappeared for long stretches. No idea how his metrics were but he didn't seem to pop to my eye or on the score sheet. Still probably has some of that potential, good luck to him on St. Louis.

Return could've been better but I suppose at this point if you don't want to keep a player, you get what you can, RFA or not. Would've thought Tex would fetch more though.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
The old GM would have hung onto Tex even though Tex was easily replaceable. Tex was the last of Jarmo's "prodigies". This is exactly the type of action I would want from a new GM who objectively evaluated the player and concluded that he was easily replaceable.
Replacability is one thing, and arguably fair. Getting yourself jobbed by another GM like this is inexcusable.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
Replacability is one thing, and arguably fair. Getting yourself jobbed by another GM like this is inexcusable.

Have you considered that maybe Texier wouldn’t have received a QO? Could have gotten nothing for him. STL had more leverage than you think, they could have just waited to sign him for free if he wasn’t going to be qualified. I expect the same thing to happen with Jake Bean.

JacketFanInFL

Brick by Brick
Mar 27, 2006
Central FL
Yep. Tough for many to distinguish between their emotional connection to a player and a business move.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Have you considered that maybe Texier wouldn’t have received a QO? Could have gotten nothing for him. STL had more leverage than you think, they could have just waited to sign him for free if he wasn’t going to be qualified. I expect the same thing to happen with Jake Bean.
He received better than his QO, in a negotiation with the Blues that undoubtedly took place with Waddell's permission.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
He received better than his QO, in a negotiation with the Blues that undoubtedly took place with Waddell's permission.

You didn’t respond directly to what I had asked you if you had considered. If he wasn’t going to be qualified, he could have negotiated with 31 other teams. STL must have wanted to guarantee negotiating rights. I don’t think an offersheet was ever realistic.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Given that the contract info was literally the first bit of news released, it's not exactly that much of a stretch to say that Tex had already been negotiating with the Blues. The third-round-pick compensation range is AAV of $1,511,702 - $2,290,457 per CapFriendly, and Texier's last contract was $1,525,000 - ALREADY within that range. Unless Waddell had gotten it into his head that Tex was going to take a discount to go to the Blues - like, literally turn down his QO and take less money - a 3rd next year was the bare minimum.

There really is no excuse.
This feels harsh. What if Waddell had decided that he didn't want him back or that he wasn't worth his QO to CBJ? Isn't a 4th nice return for guy who was about to be set free? I'm a Blues fan, so I don't have much opinion on the player, but there could well be a scenario where a draft pick less than offer sheet level made sense for CBJ if the other option was non-tendering him.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
I'm sad he's been moved, but I'm not going to lose sleep over moving him. While he's a lovable guy, his role is replaceable, especially considering how much youth we have coming through the system, it was inevitable unless he broke out.

Reactions: CannonFire1

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
Is this another case where we overrate a player and the reality is all he's worth 4th rounder?
No, not really. But they did get the rights to be the only ones to negotiate instead of giving him an offer sheet. So at the very least Columbus should have received a 3rd. Admittedly that's a small difference, but getting the value right matters. Aa a comparison, Ty Dellandrea landed a 4th the other day. I'd say Texier is more valuable than Dellandrea.

As I've said, I would personally have preferred to use him as a sweetener in a Laine deal or something, I think that would have been a smarter use of him as a decent depth forward.

With that said, I don't know what happened behind the scenes and won't lose sleep over it. Texier was not going to be here in the long run.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
You didn’t respond directly to what I had asked you if you had considered. If he wasn’t going to be qualified, he could have negotiated with 31 other teams. STL must have wanted to guarantee negotiating rights. I don’t think an offersheet was ever realistic.
This feels harsh. What if Waddell had decided that he didn't want him back or that he wasn't worth his QO to CBJ? Isn't a 4th nice return for guy who was about to be set free? I'm a Blues fan, so I don't have much opinion on the player, but there could well be a scenario where a draft pick less than offer sheet level made sense for CBJ if the other option was non-tendering him.
I do not consider "no QO and let him walk as the alternative" to be any more plausible of a scenario than "he'll take a discount to play for another team". But it's at least somewhat more defensible, so I'll give y'all that. That would still be IMO a bad move, but not demonstratively objectively so, nor one that's hopelessly naive.

Reactions: Blueston

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Wish Texier well. Seems like a good kid and I’m rooting for his success

I had higher expectations for him when he came back. He always appeared satisfied with being where he was on the fourth line rather than make his way up the lineup. There’s legitimately top 9 (maybe even top 6) skill in there. I don’t know if he’ll ever bring it out. We have a bunch of fourth liners already but we will miss what Texier brings. But it’s hard to blame the team or him for moving on. Just missed on his potential so far, for a variety of reasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad