Proposal: CBJ - TOR (Laine - Marner) "Hockey Trade"

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Value

• CBJ adds

Votes: 101 64.7%
  • TOR adds

Votes: 42 26.9%
  • Good value

Votes: 13 8.3%

• Total voters

HC7

May 2, 2018
Laine and Marner both have reduced value at the moment and are unlikely to return to their current teams. Both teams stay young, change the core, and get back pieces that can make them better immediately as well as moving forward. Columbus upgrades on forward, Toronto upgrades on D. Is the upgrade from Marner to Laine similar to that between Jiricek and Liljegren?

Columbus gets a reliable 100 point Selke caliber winger, and a 25 year old top 4 RHD with strong underlying numbers.
Toronto adds size and scoring up front, and gets a blue chip RHD prospect that can play immediately.

To CBJ: Marner, Liljegren

To TOR: Laine, Jiricek

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Laine and Marner both have reduced value at the moment and are unlikely to return to their current teams. Both teams stay young, change the core, and get back pieces that can make them better immediately as well as moving forward. Columbus upgrades on forward, Toronto upgrades on D. Is the upgrade from Marner to Laine similar to that between Jiricek and Liljegren?

Columbus gets a reliable 100 point Selke caliber winger, and a 25 year old top 4 RHD with strong underlying numbers.
Toronto adds size and scoring up front, and gets a blue chip RHD prospect that can play immediately.

I would say CBJ adds. I’m just not sure how negative of value laine has.

I really don’t see him doing well in Toronto. Plus who makes plays for him?

Reactions: SmoggyTwinkles

hurdemz

Tub thumpin'
Jul 15, 2022
Ssm, ON
Laine is the complete opposite of what toronto needs. Jiricek could be interesting, but I don't see how this would work for either team

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Marner is perfect for a team whose goal is PO and nothing more.
We need other type of players, especially tough d-man with great play in the front of the net, defense and not a soft guy.

HC7

May 2, 2018
I would say CBJ adds. I’m just not sure how negative of value laine has.

I really don’t see him doing well in Toronto. Plus who makes plays for him?
Obvious hypothetical but if I were the Leafs I'd trade Jarnkrok back to Dubas for Puljujarvi.

Bertuzzi - Matthews - Domi
Laine - Nylander - Puljujarvi
Knies - Tavares - McMann

Main reason for Toronto is to upgrade their D with Jiricek. I think there's a risk/reward element with Laine, and Puljuarvi that presents the most upside if you do end up trading Marner.

• Wow
Reactions: waitin425

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004

Simple question, does Columbus trade multiple years of control on jiricek straight up for one year of marner? I don't think they do, so this whole proposal falls apart.

And columbus already has a worse version of marner with another small pass first winger in gaudreau

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I'd take this deal and run for Toronto. Mind you I see Laine as negative value but I love Jiricek for Marner. Liljegren is inconsequential.

Really though, and I said it in the Laine thread, that a 1 for 1 between those two is horrible for both teams. Columbus doesn't need another overpaid, ultrasoft playmaking winger when they already have Gaudreau. And Toronto doesn't need anymore overpaid mental midgets

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
I sincerely doubt Jiricek is moved. He’s an important piece for the future and would set us back. Yes I know we could draft a defenseman with 4OA this year, but it seems like Lindstrom is the guy we’re eyeing.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Laine+ for Marner is a fair approach with a number of possible angles. Jiricek, however, is an immediate "ends all conversation" nonstarter. We cannot afford to lose him, period, full stop.

Maybe for CBJ... Laine is of no interest to Toronto. Why go from one diva to a worse diva?

Reactions: JKG33

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Marner would never waive to go to Columbus.

Then again, who's to say. The resounding chorus of local fans and media ready to send him packing just seems to be getting louder by the day. You'd think that might wear on a guy like Mitch. :laugh:

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
Columbus says no, no way a rebuilding team gives up Jiricek. Marner for Laine+ is a good base, but the difference isn't Jiricek.

I would consider Sillinger as the + if it meant Marner comes with an extension. Provorov (50% retained) and a pick/prospect could also work depending on how Toronto would want to fill out their roster. Don’t see the value for Columbus to acquire Marner as a rental, though.

Reactions: Kaizen and Viqsi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad