Confirmed with Link: CBJ hire Don Waddell as President of Hockey Operations and General Manager. JD to serve as Senior Advisor

GoJackets1

Someday.
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
I was adamantly against hiring Babcock in the beginning but even I was wiling to give him the benefit of the doubt that he could change and it could work. Of course he failed us all.

But really Waddell is not that bad but I also think anyone who gets hired for this job will have most of the people on this board finding reasons to hate him instead of hoping for success. it's our loser mentality established over 20+ years driving it.

I mean the amount of people on here simply trying to find reasons to discredit him from having any hand in another small market like Carolina having success is mind boggling to me.
I would actually be curious to know what the board consensus was on their preferred outcome of the GM search. I think what we may end up with is pretty in line with what most wanted.

All I know for sure is it seemed like most wanted JD to be replaced as well, and we’re seemingly getting that so I like to think once the initial shock wears off people will be more optimistic than not.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I'm not blacklisting anybody here by naming names but I am convinced that any one who get hired for any job will get a list full of negative comments about how they aren't good enough and going to fail. Just read the last couple of pages full of debate if Waddell was responsible for hiring Tulsky or not. People are searching for reason to find negatives.

Okay I looked. There are only two posters who made reference to Tulsky's hiring.

One poster who cited Waddell hiring Tulsky as a great example of Waddell's foresight and ability to hire the right people. And another (me) who correctly pointed out that Ron Francis hired Tulsky, not Waddell.

It wasn't even a critique of Waddell, who I am cautiously supportive of!

And after that one poster making one minor correction, there have now been several posters decrying the negativity towards Waddell and the Jackets, which you described as "a mind boggling" number of people coming here to discredit Waddell's role in Carolina. A mind boggling number of 1! Or really zero because I have no problem with Waddell being hired.

This is just emotional fragility. A minor factcheck should not cause this kind of blow-up.

CharlotteJacket

Apr 11, 2013
Charlotte, NC
My concern with Waddell centers around my belief that it's very difficult to have the same level of success at your new team that you had with the old one. Is it possible? Yes, but the odds are stacked against you.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
A couple of observations for the GM speculation. If I'm reading my sources correctly (NHL teams' staff histories on EP), there's never been an "outside hire" for a hockey ops position right below Waddell's position (POHO->GM or GM->AGM) when Waddell's been the POHO/GM of an NHL team.

So only "internal" hires. As mentioned already, Carolina's current AGMs Yorke and Tulsky were part of the club before Waddell joined the organisation. Larry Simmons (Jets current AGM) had a lower profile role in Atlanta/Jets org for 5 years but in 2004 was promoted to AGM/VP of hockey ops and has remained there since.

I also have a question to those who wonder if Waddell is going to bring someone from Canes for the GM job: if Waddell will serve as the POHO and the next GM will be some current Canes employee starting from this offseason, why that information didn't leak at the same time with "Waddell to CBJ" news?

Reactions: LJ7

CalBuckeyeRob

Feb 25, 2012
My concern with Waddell centers around my belief that it's very difficult to have the same level of success at your new team that you had with the old one. Is it possible? Yes, but the odds are stacked against you.
The only other options are unsuccessful at your old team or no other similar experience to compare it to. Success before is better than failure.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
A couple of observations for the GM speculation. If I'm reading my sources correctly (NHL teams' staff histories on EP), there's never been an "outside hire" for a hockey ops position right below Waddell's position (POHO->GM or GM->AGM) when Waddell's been the POHO/GM of an NHL team.

So only "internal" hires. As mentioned already, Carolina's current AGMs Yorke and Tulsky were part of the club before Waddell joined the organisation. Larry Simmons (Jets current AGM) had a lower profile role in Atlanta/Jets org for 5 years but in 2004 was promoted to AGM/VP of hockey ops and has remained there since.

I also have a question to those who wonder if Waddell is going to bring someone from Canes for the GM job: if Waddell will serve as the POHO and the next GM will be some current Canes employee starting from this offseason, why that information didn't leak at the same time with "Waddell to CBJ" news?

Why do you hate the Blue Jackets?

:sarcasm:

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
In Tulsky's case he may not have made up his mind on where he would like to go. Also he may feel loyalty to and comfort with the Canes and want to see the interview process through, but would take the GM job here if he isn't hired there. All pure speculation from me.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Why do you hate the Blue Jackets?

:sarcasm:
People need to remember we can't have nice things!

In Tulsky's case he may not have made up his mind on where he would like to go. Also he may feel loyalty to and comfort with the Canes and want to see the interview process through, but would take the GM job here if he isn't hired there. All pure speculation from me.
That's possible but wouldn't it be odd for Carolina to officially name Tulsky interim GM, fully knowing that he might be gone in a few days or weeks, instead of giving temporary title to someone who for sure is not going to leave (on their own terms at least)?

If I was to make guesses on how the GM search is going to proceed from here, this is what I'm thinking right now, based on what we know so far:

1) Next week Waddell will be named POHO and interim GM. JD and Waddell state that the GM search is still ongoing, and that they want to be thorough with the process and find an ideal person for the job blah blah.
2) Behind the scenes JD and Waddell have talked about looking at potential internal candidates from both CBJ and Carolina, or they just have a silent agreement about it.
3) Waddell gets to meet Jackets front office people in private and group meetings. At pre-draft meetings everyone will be talking about draft prospect on surface level but Waddell himself will be mainly focused on observing and evaluating the people who talk about prospects.
4) Waddell tells JD what he thinks about them and how they compare to people he knows from Carolina.
5) If they think they've found someone from either org who seems fit for the job and happens to be available, that person will be the next GM. If they can't find anyone qualified, they'll begin to look elsewhere.

Not trying to guess how things would ultimately unfold at step 5, but it's obvious that even getting to that point would take time regardless. I think we will have an interim GM for at least a little while.

CalBuckeyeRob

Feb 25, 2012
Seems odd that they would put Tulsky in the interim role if they expected him to follow Waddell out of Carolina.

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
Some people are fine with Waddell. Some people were against Holland for GM. I think Frank Seravalli was still thinking Holland for GM, especially because Waddell and Holland are close. If they hired Holland, would this offset the Waddell hiring and you guys will be mad?

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
I'm interested to see where Waddell ends up, if he does sign here. It's hard to be worse than the last 24 years, but Waddell is also the guy who ran the Thrashers into the ground over the course of a decade.

Is he a JD replacement? Or a successor-in-place? I mean, Waddell turns 66 soon.

Hopefully it's a JD/Priest (one can hope) replacement and he'll get a good fit for GM. I suppose one could hold out hope for Tulsky, if you're in that camp. But if Waddell is coming in at a PHOPs type level, he may want to conduct his own interviews/search.

Again, the bar is so low for this franchise that it's going to be hard to do any worse than what we've seen since the team came into existence.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
If Waddell is being hired as the President of Hockey Ops, then I would expect for the CBJ to wait until he's here to make a decision on GM. Like I said previously, I would expect him to fill the POHOP spot and the GM spot simultaneously in the short term. But if he comes in and says "hey let's go out and hire a new GM" then the team wouldn't say no.

So as to why nothing has been mentioned about Tulsky - I don't think the Jackets have thought that far ahead. I think they're waiting on Waddell to come in and decide.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Some people are fine with Waddell. Some people were against Holland for GM. I think Frank Seravalli was still thinking Holland for GM, especially because Waddell and Holland are close. If they hired Holland, would this offset the Waddell hiring and you guys will be mad?
I would be fine with it. I mostly had reservations (not just with Holland but Zito and others too) with someone coming in and being both POHO and GM. If they're both here, it can be a decent tandem.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I think it will be important from what position Waddell wants to negotiate new contracts. And also his position among agents. If he is too economical, we may lose those we are interested in signing.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Go ask on the Canes board. This isn't the place to learn about Waddell.
I was going through their Waddell thread yesterday and their board seems extremely split on Waddell, the overall consensus is that he's legitimately a standup guy either way which is encouraging at least.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014

Interesting, if true/accurate. Almost taking over Priest's role (which, again, is going to be hard to do worse). If JD is leaving this summer, will they want a separate PHOPs person? Some orgs don't have one, just a GM who reports to the President.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad