Confirmed with Link: CBJ hire Don Waddell as President of Hockey Operations and General Manager. JD to serve as Senior Advisor

ClevelandJacketFan

Awesome Mascots!
Nov 1, 2007
...Really?
Well, I guess I get to hope this is another Tortorella moment for me.
He had the foresight to hire Eric Tulsky, or put him in an advantageous position to begin with.

The biggest thing I wanted was someone who knew what it takes to put together an organization. Waddell, unequivocally, has what it takes to hire the right people to turn around and run a high level hockey operation.

This is a major win for the Jackets, IMO. This is even better than my preferred choice of Zito and MacFarland. They are getting THE GUY to build a Carolina type of organization.

Pretty exciting, imo.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
I'm happy with this if it's to replace JD. Great servant for the club and I hope he stays in some advisory role, but I don't trust JD's judgement much anymore.

Some people predicted this pretty nicely, so the Tulsky GM predictions better be right as well :naughty:

Reactions: Toe Pick and LJ7

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Hire Waddell to “tops of hockey ops” post

JD remains in his current role

They hire a GM

Waddell formally named PHOp

JD moves into consultant role, maybe even continues to handle the team’s representation with the league, freeing Waddell to absorb some of the rumored biz ops from Priest

It’s a sequence of events I could see happening

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
He had the foresight to hire Eric Tulsky, or put him in an advantageous position to begin with.

The biggest thing I wanted was someone who knew what it takes to put together an organization. Waddell, unequivocally, has what it takes to hire the right people to turn around and run a high level hockey operation.

This is a major win for the Jackets, IMO. This is even better than my preferred choice of Zito and MacFarland. They are getting THE GUY to build a Carolina type of organization.

Pretty exciting, imo.
I can understand why folks are interested, and it's why I'm trying to find room for optimism. But I can't get past the Thrashers. I desperately hope I'm wrong on that.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
I can understand why folks are interested, and it's why I'm trying to find room for optimism. But I can't get past the Thrashers. I desperately hope I'm wrong on that.
Trashers stint ended 15 years ago. Gotta have at least some belief that a person can change and improve in their a job during that time. Especially when Canes has turned into an perennial contender under him.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Trashers stint ended 15 years ago. Gotta have at least some belief that a person can change and improve in their a job during that time. Especially when Canes has turned into an perennial contender under him.
I frankly don't credit him for the Canes at all.

Seriously, y'all. You're not going to convince me on this one. The only one who can convince me that this is going to work is Waddell himself.

• Haha
Reactions: DoingItCoolKiwi

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
Good luck Jackets. Donny Wads will give you great sound bites if nothing else.

I never met him personally but plenty of people on HF26 did and said he is a 100% stand up guy that will talk to anyone that approaches him.

Cujorulesdtown9

More Blue Pants
Sep 9, 2007
Michigan
Im not unhappy with this hire.
What remains to be seen is who gets shown the door on and off the ice before next season because of this hire.
Hes got a vision if he went from interview to hired that quickly.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Pretty exciting, imo.

Was Waddell the one that hired Tulsky, or are you just assuming that?

It's not straightforward with Carolina. Dundon was the one who hired Brind'Amour, for example.

I don't know if Canes fans know exactly who assembled the borg. What we know is that Waddell can work with good people, not necessarily that he is the one to hire them.

Sounds like Pascal is on his way out as well

It's not clear to me if there is new news here.

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
it's a good start.

A good foundation guy (business & hockey) and he's been around to see some bad and good things. So he know where the bar is set and where it ends. Of course all teams are different and each has it's own environmental influences. Hope they hire more people like Waddell, let some experienced people determine if Nash is GM material.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Imo he's still a minimum of 3-5 years in an actual AGM role before he could truly be talked about as a potential candidate for anything

Someone needs more experience than a doctor does to be a general manager of a hockey team?

They used to sit quarterbacks for three or four years before they gave them a chance to start and now they put them in there day one.

I don’t think experience means a thing as a GM, you either have it or you don’t.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2011

Pretty exciting, imo.
My. Notice, too, over McFarland and Holland, but not over Zito.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad