Confirmed with Link: CBJ sign Veini Vehviläinen to 2 year entry deal

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
Very interesting goalie competition shaping up. I think this has to be indicative of no major UFA goalie moves for us. Maybe a try out contract close to camp for a vet at low cost.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Bobrovski gone (99,9% certainty), how many goalies you even have signed for the next season?
Why wouldn't he (Veini) fight for the 2 available spots???

As of right now we only have 3 goalies under contract (Veini, Merzlikins, and Tarasov) however Korpisalo is a RFA and is likely to return. Tarasov is nearly certainly heading back to Russia, and Veini appears to have no interest in the AHL.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
As of right now we only have 3 goalies under contract (Veini, Merzlikins, and Tarasov) however Korpisalo is a RFA and is likely to return. Tarasov is nearly certainly heading back to Russia, and Veini appears to have no interest in the AHL.
I heard Tarasov will be in Cleveland next year . I agree Veini most likely ends up back in Finland, sounds like a lot of his success has been because he plays on a stacked team .

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I heard Tarasov will be in Cleveland next year . I agree Veini most likely ends up back in Finland, sounds like a lot of his success has been because he plays on a stacked team .

I don't know, I think that might be a mistake but what do I know. I'd much rather Tarasov go to Russia and Veini to Cleveland but we can't have what we want all the time.

Reactions: The Bread Man

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002

Tarsasov is a 20 year old who played in the Russian minor league. Veini was the best goalie in Finland, was named to the WC team and is a few years older.

He is exponentially further along.

pled

Sep 7, 2009
Unless he wants AHL time he'll likely just be loaned back to Finland
the rumor was that he want at least to be third goalie. so top ahl time/some call up. but seem like some other rumor conflict.

I also think Tarasov wanted the same thing so one of them is probably staying and the other leaving. seem like thissen/kiv will stay as 2/3 goalie in cleveland

anyway the race to see whats the depth chart order for goalies is gonna be amazing during camp.

I honestly can see anyone being starter in columbus rn

pled

Sep 7, 2009
you forgot the great Kivlenieks. and veini can definitly outshine both korpi and elvis in camp he has the talent. the best will win the spot or none if they all fail to show up.

Reactions: CPTN71

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I don't know, I think that might be a mistake but what do I know. I'd much rather Tarasov go to Russia and Veini to Cleveland but we can't have what we want all the time.

I'd rather they form the duo in Cleveland, and as far as I know, that could happen. Veini can't prove a lot more playing in Finland, maybe he wants the challenge in Cleveland. And the Jackets can't control Tarasov's usage and development if they loan him to the KHL. They can shake hands on it I guess, but I'd feel better if he was playing 40 games in Cleveland. (This presumes his English is good enough that he could survive life here.)

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Tarasov is nearly certainly heading back to Russia, .
No he's not. KHL team president he parted ways with is not happy with it and badmouthed him. They own his rights but there is no spot for him in on KHL team and there is no reason to go back to play in VHL.

"Salavat CEO about Tarasov’s transition to Columbus: “Danil didn’t want to work in a competitive environment. In fact, it is a pity that this is happening. We have led this guy down for two years, creating all the conditions for progress for him. As a result, after two years, a young player gets up and leaves for the NHL.
It makes you think about the preparation of young hockey players. This year we suggested Danil to become a backup. He refused."

Last edited:
Reactions: CBJWennberg10

pled

Sep 7, 2009
No he's not. KHL team president he parted ways with is not happy with it and badmouthed him. They own his rights but there is no spot for him in on KHL team and there is no reason to go back to play in VHL.

"Salavat CEO about Tarasov’s transition to Columbus: “Danil didn’t want to work in a competitive environment. In fact, it is a pity that this is happening. We have led this guy down for two years, creating all the conditions for progress for him. As a result, after two years, a young player gets up and leaves for the NHL.
It makes you think about the preparation of young hockey players. This year we suggested Danil to become a backup. He refused."
Tarasov is painted kinda as a dick in that but I guess the CEO is upset he lost a player. the kid just dream of playing in the nhl and is ready to take ahl game. this is actually quite a damn good news for people here.

Reactions: thebus88

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Goalie depth that appears to be developing should produce results down the line. The next Rask or Kiprusoff or Bob or Nabokov in there somewhere? Anyone got a Swiss G to hope Elvis emulates?

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
Goalie depth that appears to be developing should produce results down the line. The next Rask or Kiprusoff or Bob or Nabokov in there somewhere? Anyone got a Swiss G to hope Elvis emulates?
Jonas Hiller (when he was good)? That's all I got.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad