Prospect Info: CBJ Prospect Thread XI

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Ivanov with the 27 save shutout in a 5-0 win for Sochi. It's his first regulation win of the season and he has raised his save percentage from .865 to .905 after a very slow start to the season. He has stopped 50 of the last 51 shots he has faced. His goalie partner in Sochi is off to a good start so this could be an even split of starts all season long.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
I like the JVR-Fantilli-KJ line. This seems like they are trying to help two young guys get better by putting them with a veteran who will try to teach them. This is 100% the kind of thing that I think we should be doing this season.

I hope Jiricek has a very clear understanding of what is expected. By clear understanding, I mean written out targets and videos of what is desirable and not desirable. I also hope there is an understanding that he can start in the NHL but if he is not meeting goals or repeatedly making mistakes that he will be sent down.

I want Mateychuk to be put in all sorts of situations in the AHL. I hope he is really challenged at times and shows what he can do. Let’s have a specific plan designed for his development (e.g., 30 AHL games with these particular objectives on and off the ice) and not bounce him back and forth the AHL and NHL based on what is happening in Columbus.

Here are our recent high picks (1st or top of 2nd) -

2014 - Milano
2015 - Werenski, Carlsson, Bittner
2016 - PLD, Peeke
2017 - none
2018 - Foudy
2019 - none
2020 - Chinakhov
2021 - Johnson, Sillinger, Ceulemans
2022 -Jiricek, Mateychuk
2023 - Fantilli, Brindley
2024 - Lindstrom, Elick

2014-2019 - Although there was some early excitement about some of the guys, only Werenski has amounted to anything long-term for the CBJ.

2020-2024 - I have already written off Ceulemans. The rest look like a pretty solid group, but we have been fooled before.

Our future really depends on having a much higher success rate with drafting and developing players from the last 5 drafts than we did in the previous 5 drafts. I hope the team is evaluating itself and what it has done and learning from mistakes. Foudy and Carlsson (to me at least) are examples of the team not thinking long-term about how to develop prospects.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I like the JVR-Fantilli-KJ line. This seems like they are trying to help two young guys get better by putting them with a veteran who will try to teach them. This is 100% the kind of thing that I think we should be doing this season.

I like the idea of the line a lot.

Have we seen them click much yet though? If I remember correctly KJ only briefly played with them and then was back with Sillinger? Fantilli did his scoring on the rush, with assists from Brindley, Chinakhov, and I'm not sure who else. I don't know if JVR has done much. I haven't seen much cycling of the puck, with Fantilli he's more of a rush guy and JVR is 100 feet behind him. I'd support keeping them together and getting them more focused on cycling though.

I hope Jiricek has a very clear understanding of what is expected. By clear understanding, I mean written out targets and videos of what is desirable and not desirable. I also hope there is an understanding that he can start in the NHL but if he is not meeting goals or repeatedly making mistakes that he will be sent down.

We can rest assured that every prospect gets video work with dos and don'ts. Maybe writing would help.

I want Mateychuk to be put in all sorts of situations in the AHL. I hope he is really challenged at times and shows what he can do. Let’s have a specific plan designed for his development (e.g., 30 AHL games with these particular objectives on and off the ice) and not bounce him back and forth the AHL and NHL based on what is happening in Columbus.

I don't think there's going to be a lot of bouncing around at his level of maturity. He'll get a call up and then we won't be able to justify sending him down again.

Foudy and Carlsson (to me at least) are examples of the team not thinking long-term about how to develop prospects.

For me those are two players that didn't develop physically the way we needed, it's hard for me to imagine them being solid NHLers in any development program. Foudy never filled out and never developed much balance, so he ended most plays on his rear. Gabe Carlsson was 6'5 but hunched over, never developed the strength of a big man. He was very smart and could have been something if he got strong and stayed healthy.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
For me those are two players that didn't develop physically the way we needed, it's hard for me to imagine them being solid NHLers in any development program. Foudy never filled out and never developed much balance, so he ended most plays on his rear. Gabe Carlsson was 6'5 but hunched over, never developed the strength of a big man. He was very smart and could have been something if he got strong and stayed healthy.

Is that because they were both rushed to the NHL? Carlsson comes over and is almost immediately playing for the Jackets. Then they bounce him back and forth. Foudy had the misfortune of playing during COVID but he was bounced around with the travel squad, etc. I think if we had been concerned with development of prospects over the last ten years, four guys I wouldn’t mess around with are Carlsson, Foudy, Jiricek, and Sillinger. I would have followed a more Detroit development model and kept them in the AHL, giving them a steady and stable environment in which to develop and work on things off the ice as well as on the ice.

I think what is common for all 4 is they all have some size and you could make an argument that they were “good enough” to be playing with the Jackets and there was an argument that the CBJ short-term need justified it.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Is that because they were both rushed to the NHL? Carlsson comes over and is almost immediately playing for the Jackets. Then they bounce him back and forth. Foudy had the misfortune of playing during COVID but he was bounced around with the travel squad, etc. I think if we had been concerned with development of prospects over the last ten years, four guys I wouldn’t mess around with are Carlsson, Foudy, Jiricek, and Sillinger. I would have followed a more Detroit development model and kept them in the AHL, giving them a steady and stable environment in which to develop and work on things off the ice as well as on the ice.

I think what is common for all 4 is they all have some size and you could make an argument that they were “good enough” to be playing with the Jackets and there was an argument that the CBJ short-term need justified it.

I also would have kept them all in the AHL, a la the Wings model. I probably don't need to remind people my opinion on what league Sillinger should have been in or where I think Jiricek belongs right now.

Regardless, however, Carlsson and Foudy didn't have the genetics to get strong while keeping their playing form. Foudy wasn't going to get balanced and Carlsson wasn't going to get an upright posture. Playing a few NHL games here or there isn't going to change someone's physical progression over the long run, only over the short run. Those guys were showing up after long offseasons just as meek as the year before. Maybe @stevo61 can correct me on this but I think someone with the genetics for it would get in peak form by age 25 regardless if you played them too much at age 21 and didn't give them enough gym time at that earlier age. It would just take longer to get there. And those two never got there.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I also would have kept them all in the AHL, a la the Wings model. I probably don't need to remind people my opinion on what league Sillinger should have been in or where I think Jiricek belongs right now.

Regardless, however, Carlsson and Foudy didn't have the genetics to get strong while keeping their playing form. Foudy wasn't going to get balanced and Carlsson wasn't going to get an upright posture. Playing a few NHL games here or there isn't going to change someone's physical progression over the long run, only over the short run. Those guys were showing up after long offseasons just as meek as the year before. Maybe @stevo61 can correct me on this but I think someone with the genetics for it would get in peak form by age 25 regardless if you played them too much at age 21 and didn't give them enough gym time at that earlier age. It would just take longer to get there. And those two never got there.
mostly yeah. You'll be at your peak with things like reaction/explosiveness/recovery. Strength however you can build and maintain until somewhere in your late 30s I believe is the age it usually slowly begins to decline as your testosterone levels do

Reactions: majormajor

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Playing a few NHL games here or there isn't going to change someone's physical progression over the long run, only over the short run.

Here in Columbus we have a guy, Mickey Marotti, whose expertise is changing 18-20 year old athletes into complete monsters. You can see his successes on Saturdays and Sundays in the fall. I wonder what he could have done with Carlsson or Foudy with a dedicated and uninterrupted training program.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad