Prospect Info: CBJ Prospect Thread XI

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

I don't have many complaints about our drafting but the development has been awful, in my opinion. Too many rushed prospects. Sillinger, KJ, Jiricek all in the NHL a year or more too early, with permanent consequences.
I’m going to use this post as a jump-off to re-make a sub-topic comment that people might have thought - hoped, even - had been dropped. And that is that those players may have been the “best” players at their positions that the team could have iced. But given the fact that doing so could have harmed their long-term development, such that they’ll never be as good as they could have been with some seasoning, means the club should have played “worse” players in the NHL to allow those young players to develop despite the fact they were the “best” players.

Reactions: Viqsi

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
I’m going to use this post as a jump-off to re-make a sub-topic comment that people might have thought - hoped, even - had been dropped. And that is that those players may have been the “best” players at their positions that the team could have iced. But given the fact that doing so could have harmed their long-term development, such that they’ll never be as good as they could have been with some seasoning, means the club should have played “worse” players in the NHL to allow those young players to develop despite the fact they were the “best” players.
And if my aunt had wheels she’d be a bike /s

fully earning a roster spot != being handed one. Johnston never played in the AHL, he was already one of their best players.

Last edited:
Reactions: MissADD

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Jarmo would defend himself (probably, I am not him so) by saying Sillinger came to camp and EARNED it. KJ came to camp the next year and EARNED it. While that is potentially true, I do recall many people saying the second we drafted Sillinger that he may make it year 1. Even if Sillinger was one of our best players in camp that year, he should have been sent back to juniors (or, at the very most, playing in the AHL). “Overripe” is a good thing.

Long winded way of agreeing with Major that our drafting hasn’t been a major problem but it’s the development piece that needs work.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
I don't have many complaints about our drafting but the development has been awful, in my opinion. Too many rushed prospects. Sillinger, KJ, Jiricek all in the NHL a year or more too early, with permanent consequences.

But given the fact that doing so could have harmed their long-term development, such that they’ll never be as good as they could have been with some seasoning, means the club should have played “worse” players in the NHL to allow those young players to develop despite the fact they were the “best” players.

Jarmo would defend himself (probably, I am not him so) by saying Sillinger came to camp and EARNED it.

Long winded way of agreeing with Major that our drafting hasn’t been a major problem but it’s the development piece that needs work.

I think it all goes back to the fact that the club made some good moves under Jarmo, especially early, he seemed to manage more in the moment than have a long term plan he was working toward. “Sillinger is one of our best centers now? Play him.”

Reactions: MoeBartoli

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
I think it all goes back to the fact that the club made some good moves under Jarmo, especially early, he seemed to manage more in the moment than have a long term plan he was working toward. “Sillinger is one of our best centers now? Play him.”
Some team is going to hire Jarmo as their AGM/director of amateur scouting but keep him away from making roster decisions and laugh all the way to multiple cups in the 2030s.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
Some team is going to hire Jarmo as their AGM/director of amateur scouting but keep him away from making roster decisions and laugh all the way to multiple cups in the 2030s.
either that or he'll get a GM job with a team with a less frugal ownership group, an established core and no issues retaining/attracting players and get the same result.

i think jarmo is a very capable GM, but the biggest headaches he had to deal with as a GM (horton insurance, hiring babcock, losing panarin to UFA) were at least somewhat unique problems for this franchise + market.

horton and babcock in particular seemed (to me anyway) to be the result of ownership wanting to cut financial corners. other ownership groups would've shelled out the insurance premiums for horton (or ate the salary cost to open cap instead of forcing a clarkson trade), and the babcock thing always felt like trying the torts thing again (only being able to afford an established coach if there was significant baggage driving the price down).

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
it's a tough balancing act, though.

when torts or vincent would bench a star player or a young guy there was a lot of "well, they haven't earned it" – but that position is incongruent with keeping a young player who does earn it in the minors.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio

I have a long write up on Jarmo I may or may not bother finishing and/or posting about where he is good and where he is bad. I could see him as a successful GM in the right setting. I think he needs the right core already established and then, because he isn’t afraid to make the big trade, he might be able to make the moves to get them over the top. The problem is that he is not really a team builder, and he had to start over.

I could see him at a team like the Devils and not be afraid to do something to solve their problems like trade a high pick like Nemec for a top goalie. The kind of trade that afterwards everyone would think was the obvious move but only Jarmo is the guy that would actually do it.

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
Max McCue yesterday had two breakaways, failed to score on both. Went for a direct shot on both but neither were particularly hard shots to save. Overall has played very well defensively and physically, giving as good as he gets (and he gets a lot) and being a net front presence. He's continued to be rock solid defensively and has allowed Dickinson and Bonk to play more aggressively. He hasn't been getting a ton of chances offensively but the lines have been shuffled a lot the last few games and he hasn't been playing with O'Reilly as much.

Mateychuk is leading the tournament in points (7) and tied with a slew of other players with 3 goals in 3 games. His offensive talent has been on display as he's been walking the puck through guys and into the zone and firing shots like lasers all the time. He's also been involved in a few unfortunate giveaways that have led to chances but defensively has been...okay. He's still very easily a plus player on the ice and for the most part has controlled the pace- his offence is the real deal, even if he may still need to work on things defensively.

He had a nice goal against Saginaw in the first game where he walked into the slot and another assist on Yager's goal in the 2nd, He also had a secondary assist on the final goal by MJ. He was caught kinda staring on one of Saginaw's goals where a player got behind him and he wasn't covering the passing lane which resulted in the puck being rifled point blank and a goal. He had a really nice stretch pass against London to set up Firkus for a breakaway in the first few minutes of the game. He was also responsible for the first goal in the game where he again walked into the slot and rifled the puck past Simpson. He...also made a poor pass to a teammate behind the net, resulting in Gazisov interrupting the play and then didn't recover quickly enough, the trailing London forward got the puck and sent it back to Gazisov who scored the first goal for London. He had another secondary assist against the Votigeurs on Yager's goal. He also got his own goal a few minutes later on a weird little scrum in front of the net where he collected his own loose puck and shot it in. He got hit by a puck early in the 3rd and hobbled his way off the ice but was back later to retrieve the puck off a nice Savoie play and got a primary assist on the GWG goal for MJ.

I didn't pay much attention to Rysavy. I know he got the last goal MJ had against London, which was just an all out scrum in front of the net banging away at the puck, and I saw him get caught watching on one of the Votigeur goals against MJ. He's a -3 for the tournament with 1 pt. McCue is a +2 with 2 points.

London and Saginaw have looked like the best teams this tournament but Moose Jaw definitely has the chance to beat Saginaw tomorrow and keep the tournament alive. Mateychuk will definitely be a big part of whatever happens.

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
Well uh, I was going to report on Moose Jaw's last game, but uh, I don't think much needs to be reported on. Saginaw and London will be the final on Sunday after...well, frankly, it looked more like a first place team against a last place team than a game.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Isn't Ceulemans a healthy scratch in the AHL right now? (someone can correct me if I have that wrong)

You'd think Ivanov, Dolzhenkov, and Makarov should be represented here, I'm not sure if Mckeen's knows about them.

Who am I kidding, they recently did a top 30 prospects and didn't rank Mateychuk at all, while having his less effective teammate Matt Savoie 10th.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Isn't Ceulemans a healthy scratch in the AHL right now?
He hasn't played in the playoffs. His last game was 4/13, so he missed the last 3 games after playing pretty regularly at the end of the year. Could be a healthy scratch, but I am leaning toward being dinged. I think he would have drawn in before Knazko.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
He hasn't played in the playoffs. His last game was 4/13, so he missed the last 3 games after playing pretty regularly at the end of the year. Could be a healthy scratch, but I am leaning toward being dinged. I think he would have drawn in before Knazko.

Has Ceulemans played left side? He's a righty and those spots are solidly spoken for now with Sweezey, Jiricek, and Bjork.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Has Ceulemans played left side? He's a righty and those spots are solidly spoken for now with Sweezey, Jiricek, and Bjork.
I'm pretty sure he has at some point or another, whether he started there or out of necessity. Being the playoffs, I figure they would go with best available over handedness, but that is more me than what an actual coach would do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad