Confirmed Trade: [CBJ/NJD] D Damon Severson traded to the Blue Jackets for CGY 2023 3rd round pick (sign and trade, 8 years, $6.25M AAV)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

baabaa

Jun 9, 2023
Why is it so challenging for people to realize that in few weeks time they’ll draft the best C in franchise history?
While they also have Johnson with 1C potential

& their defense was a complete tire fire last season.

Werenski/Provorov/Severson with Babcock will make a massive difference

Gavrikov was the 1D with Werenski out
Drafting is one thing. When and if that draft will bear fruit is another.

Why is it so challenging for people to realize that if people call Jarmo a wizard and 4D chess master and one of the best GM's in NHL history, then people are going to be a bit sceptical when despite all that Columbus sucks donkey dick.

There are still a lot of question marks. Can Laine be healthy? Who's going to be the starting goalie? Will Babcock get the team going? Is Laine going to play center next season? Etc.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Drafting is one thing. When and if that draft will bear fruit is another.

Why is it so challenging for people to realize that if people call Jarmo a wizard and 4D chess master and one of the best GM's in NHL history, then people are going to be a bit sceptical when despite all that Columbus sucks donkey dick.

There are still a lot of question marks. Can Laine be healthy? Who's going to be the starting goalie? Will Babcock get the team going? Is Laine going to play center next season? Etc.

No one is calling him that.

& if you are drafting the best C prospect in franchise history you are not going to go all out to land a 1C via trade/signing.

Rebuilding team is not going to build a perfect roster in 1 offseason and that’s alright.
With these moves Columbus doesn’t have to think about their defense for the next 5 season.

Now if Carlsson isn’t showing anywhere close to a development you’d want to see, or Johnson next summer is when Columbus can focus on 1C.

Reactions: Guttersniped

vildurson

Jun 2, 2021
Wild contract for Severson. I don't understand.

Has Severson really been worth this kind of contract?

Like, how they figure out they have enough cap for this and young guys.

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

Like, how they figure out they have enough cap for this and young guys.

Carlsson is like 4 years away from being paid
Jiricek 3 years away from being paid.

Merz
Jenner
Gubranson
Peeke
Boqvist
Wennberg buy out
Provorov

Are off the books before Carlssons expected RFA deal will kick in.

awegrzyn

Jun 17, 2014

Not as wild as people on this forum assume. Let me show you what Colombus GM sees and what is not talked about here. Only problem with Sev might be his age.

Severson was 34th most offensive D-man this regular season without special teams. Second on the Devils. For example: Heiskanen, Hedman, Spurgeon and few others were below him, but there are others who are cheaper and were above him. So he falls somewhere in the middle as far as payment vs what he produces offensively at least. I don't judge the defense, as I have no way of doing it without some art.

GMs very often are clueless; they either attache themselves to big names and overpay (Columbus), or they keep churning the wheels and schufling the team making it worst (Devils). Devils should have strike a deal with Severson for 5 mil per year for as long as he wanted and be done. He was their number 2 D-man, and he is number 2 in Columbus as far as offence goes. Much better than Provorov.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
Not as wild as people on this forum assume. Let me show you what Colombus GM sees and what is not talked about here. Only problem with Sev might be his age.

Severson was 34th most offensive D-man this regular season without special teams. Second on the Devils. For example: Heiskanen, Hedman, Spurgeon and few others were below him, but there are others who are cheaper and were above him. So he falls somewhere in the middle as far as payment vs what he produces offensively at least. I don't judge the defense, as I have no way of doing it without some art.

GMs very often are clueless; they either attache themselves to big names and overpay (Columbus), or they keep churning the wheels and schufling the team making it worst (Devils). Devils should have strike a deal with Severson for 5 mil per year for as long as he wanted and be done. He was their number 2 D-man, and he is number 2 in Columbus as far as offence goes. Much better than Provorov.
Signing Severson long term made no sense with Hamilton, Marino, and Nemec on the right side and Hughes on the left. And he wasn’t our #2 last season. Most of the year he anchored our third pairing.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Now they just need a number 1 center and a number 1 goalie. I'd say these are bigger weaknesses than what a middle pairing defenceman fixes.

IMO Jarmo has still a lot to do to make Columbus seriously a playoff team. Let's wait and see what the 4D chess master is going to do.
Number 1 Center is gonna be hard. Pretty good Goalies can be held up by a good defence, see the 2023 Knights, 22 Avs, 19 Blues, etc.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Fixing a blueline that was basically crippled and unable to defend.
Yep, the Jackets are certainly reworking their blueline.

Also, I guess there's a few sign and trades after all despite some claims to the contrary.

baabaa

Jun 9, 2023
Number 1 Center is gonna be hard. Pretty good Goalies can be held up by a good defence, see the 2023 Knights, 22 Avs, 19 Blues, etc.
Yeah, goalies are a bit voodoo. You can win with a not so good goalie or a good goalie. It depends more on solid team defense.

Also golies are fickle. This year a goalie can play out of his mind and next year he can be just average. There are very few goalies that are consistent year after year.

Reactions: um

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Yeah, goalies are a bit voodoo. You can win with a not so good goalie or a good goalie. It depends more on solid team defense.

Also golies are fickle. This year a goalie can play out of his mind and next year he can be just average. There are very few goalies that are consistent year after year.
Agreed. Hiring Babcock and getting 2 top 4 dman tells me Columbus is planning to play a more defensive minded game from here on out.

I think Cbus will acquire a 1B type of goalie this summer, no need to spend big money on a guy.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Agreed. Hiring Babcock and getting 2 top 4 dman tells me Columbus is planning to play a more defensive minded game from here on out.

I think Cbus will acquire a 1B type of goalie this summer, no need to spend big money on a guy.
I dont know that hes a more defensive minded guy. Well it will be more structured than what Larsen had but the defense has puck movers now. Sounds like a lot of Babcocks system is stretch passes out of the zone and now we have many guys who can make those plays vs 1 or 2 a week ago. He should like the defense as a whole now though with size and good mix of lefties and righties.

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
I haven't read the entire thread, but something I have not seen is how Columbus is now the preferred UFA destination over NJ. Johnny may have been a fluke, but Johnny and Severson are a trend.
Severson wanted to stay, Devils just didn’t offer him 8 years.

Not sure that’s “preferred destination” status tbh

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I haven't read the entire thread, but something I have not seen is how Columbus is now the preferred UFA destination over NJ. Johnny may have been a fluke, but Johnny and Severson are a trend.

Devils were never signing Severson longterm

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
No one is calling him that.

& if you are drafting the best C prospect in franchise history you are not going to go all out to land a 1C via trade/signing.

Rebuilding team is not going to build a perfect roster in 1 offseason and that’s alright.
With these moves Columbus doesn’t have to think about their defense for the next 5 season.

Now if Carlsson isn’t showing anywhere close to a development you’d want to see, or Johnson next summer is when Columbus can focus on 1C.
Buffalo acquired ROR the same day they went on to draft Jack Eichel.

and that worked out great for the teams they were inevitably traded to.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Great spin zone but you’re right, its a great market for losers that cant perform under pressure

baabaa

Jun 9, 2023
One gm with some balls and hfboards overreacting
Sure. He has balls and that has made him miss the playoffs 3 times in a row. Congrats to him I guess?

1686416149134.jpeg

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Buffalo acquired ROR the same day they went on to draft Jack Eichel.

and that worked out great for the teams they were inevitably traded to.

Having Eichel still left a spot and a need for 1 more top6 C.
Columbus will have a duo of Fantilli/Carlsson+ Johnson to try to build the top6 around.

& Buffalo ignored their defense and lead to a 10 year rebuild.
Columbus is smart and building from the defense up

Sure. He has balls and that has made him miss the playoffs 3 times in a row. Congrats to him I guess?

View attachment 716763

You realize they’ve been rebuilding?

Reactions: db2011 and CBJx614

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

It’s a completely different situation.

Gaudreau left Calgary because he wanted to go to Philly. His wife reportedly didn’t want to live in the NYC metro area, so any negotiations with NJ were just smoke while Johnny was waiting on the Flyers.

When Fletcher made it clear he wasn’t even going to make an offer, Gaudreau circled back to Columbus. That surprised Jarmo as much as anyone.

The Devils had no plans to sign Severson, that ship sailed once they traded for Marino. Fitz told Severson he couldn’t afford him in his exit interview.

Severson wanted bring his adorable accent back home to Western Canada but Columbus made an aggressive push, similar to how Gudbranson was Jarmo’s #1 target last year. By trading for his rights and offering 8 years he got his man.

Columbus can feel free to give a huge long term deal to Miles Wood and really make you happy though.

“(Gudbranson) was our No. 1 target and we’re very happy to get him,” Kekalainen said. “He brings all the elements that we felt we were missing. He’s a great character guy.

Reactions: AusDev

CarolinaBlueJacket

Mar 3, 2011
North Carolina
You guys really have no idea how to read between the lines. My earlier post was just a friendly jab at NJ because they lost their minds when Johnny chose a Columbus.

Heres the thing, if it were the other way around NJ fans would be crapping all over CBJ. I don't agree with it whether it's NJD or CBJ, but just making a point that will obviously not get through.

Reactions: majormajor

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
as a devils fan i am open to another sign and trade for graves ufa rights. let's the auction start. does anybody offer chicago's 1st round pick?

• Haha
Reactions: Fro

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad