OT: CBJ Lounge XXI (All Non-Sports, Non-Political Talk Here)

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Had to finally put my old man kitty down tonight. Same cat who was quite ill last month. He had a massive seizure this morning and could no longer keep any food down. So if you’ve got fuzzy friends, hug them a little tighter tonight and give them a kiss between their ears for us.
Sucks to hear. It's hard to take them, but it helps to know they are not in pain or suffering anymore. I'm sure you have lots of good memories.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Had to finally put my old man kitty down tonight. Same cat who was quite ill last month. He had a massive seizure this morning and could no longer keep any food down. So if you’ve got fuzzy friends, hug them a little tighter tonight and give them a kiss between their ears for us.
Poor guy. :( Sorry for your loss.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Vinyl advice.

I've got a record that has no observable scratch. But it skips.

Can anyone recommend a course of action?
Can you adjust the weight on your tonearm? I've heard that depending on the music you're listening to, the grooves can cause skipping if the weight on the tonearm is too light.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
Back in the day, when vinyl was what you listened to because that was basically all we had, you would tape a coin on the arm to keep it from skipping.
I had an embarrassing moment in college in 2007ish when I asked someone why there wasn't a coin taped to the arm of their turntable, because my mom's crappy ancient turntable had had a dime taped to it my entire life and I'd never seen another one. Why yes, the cool guy I was hanging out with did look at me like I was a particularly stupid alien.

• Haha
Reactions: koteka

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Vinyl advice.

I've got a record that has no observable scratch. But it skips.

Can anyone recommend a course of action?
Make sure the grooves are clean. I've had brand new records where the shavings don't get cleaned out very well after pressing. There are cleaner products but if I think if you just use a soft cloth and wipe gently with the the grooves you can see if that fixes it.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Anyone have insight as to why bands/musicians play Cleveland or Cinci rather than Columbus?

It's been that way since I've been here, makes zero sense to me unless the city or county has a large tax on visiting artists. Columbus is larger and centrally located, it would seem to me that this would be the Ohio city that gets the lion share of concerts.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Anyone have insight as to why bands/musicians play Cleveland or Cinci rather than Columbus?

It's been that way since I've been here, makes zero sense to me unless the city or county has a large tax on visiting artists. Columbus is larger and centrally located, it would seem to me that this would be the Ohio city that gets the lion share of concerts.

Back in the day if you said Polaris in Columbus, it was in reference to a big amphitheater north of town. It was a lot like Riverbend in Cincinnati or Blossom in Cleveland. At some point it had the Germaine name attached to it. Polaris then meant the mall that had been built near the amphitheater. Anyway, the sprawl of Columbus surrounded the amphitheater and the suburbanites constantly complained about it. They hated the noise, the drunk people, etc. I think bands started getting noise violations if they played after 11. Anyway, the amphitheater eventually closed down and an IKEA is now where a notorious Ozzfest was once held.

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
It’s been a bullshit spring from the standpoint for sure.

I think I saw 10TV mention we’re up to 50 now this year.

As for the concerts never coming here over the other two C cities I’ve never understood it. But bigger acts are starting to come here over them recently at least.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I think I saw 10TV mention we’re up to 50 now this year.

As for the concerts never coming here over the other two C cities I’ve never understood it. But bigger acts are starting to come here over them recently at least.
It depends if they prefer indoor or outdoor shows since Columbus doesn't have a big outdoor venue. Most of this is tied to LiveNation as a concert promoter or in some cases owner of the venue. Riverbend and Blossom closely partner with LiveNation while Ruoff in Noblesville, IN is owned by LiveNation.

Polaris used to be owned by them as well. Most major outdoor tours will only play those venues. Columbus's biggest promoter is Promowest so we mostly get artists the size of the venues they own or are affiliated with like Kemba Live and the Newport Music Hall.

I don't think Nationwide Arena or the Schottenstein Center have much affiliation with any specific promoter which makes the tours that pass through Columbus hit or miss. It is a big downer that Columbus does not have a good outdoor venue any longer. I miss Polaris. From the first Metallica concert to the last Rush concert held there I saw tons of shows in that place.

CharlotteJacket

Apr 11, 2013
Charlotte, NC
One of the downsides of Columbus being pool table flat is there aren't any ravines or mounds you can tuck away an amphitheater to deaden the sound. We miss out on a ton of great shows every summer because of it.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
One of the downsides of Columbus being pool table flat is there aren't any ravines or mounds you can tuck away an amphitheater to deaden the sound. We miss out on a ton of great shows every summer because of it.
There is something to be said for that. My favorite outdoor amphitheater is Alpine Valley in Wisconsin. The lawn there is so steep and huge and it;s in the middle of nowhere. I've seen Phish there 8 times.

Reactions: spintheblackcircle

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
We drove up into Delaware County and parked in someone's soybean field. Couldn't see much with the naked eye but photos we got on our iPhones were pretty. My family back home near Canton got some great ones, as did my friend's whose family is down by Athens. Supposed to be gorgeous again tonight, but a little earlier (more like 9-10pm instead of 12-1am). We'll probably drive down farther south tonight.

Reactions: Viqsi

Derby

Pilsners in Prague
Sponsor
Dec 30, 2009
Ohio
We drove up into Delaware County and parked in someone's soybean field. Couldn't see much with the naked eye but photos we got on our iPhones were pretty. My family back home near Canton got some great ones, as did my friend's whose family is down by Athens. Supposed to be gorgeous again tonight, but a little earlier (more like 9-10pm instead of 12-1am). We'll probably drive down farther south tonight.
So, it was YOU (and about 50 other people) driving down our rural Delaware Co. road last night. 😉
We had more traffic between 10pm and midnight last night than is typically expected over an entire day. What a view, though! Hoping for more tonight. The Northern Lights were on my bucket list, and we didn’t see them in Finland when we went for the Global Series. Now, that is checked off the list. 🙂

Attachments

• IMG_5069.jpeg
    IMG_5069.jpeg
    70.4 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_5082.jpeg
    IMG_5082.jpeg
    64 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_5083.jpeg
    IMG_5083.jpeg
    74 KB · Views: 2

Ad

Upcoming events