Confirmed Signing with Link: [CBJ] F Sean Monahan signs with the Blue Jackets (5 years, $5.5M AAV)

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
The overreaction of this signing is hilarious. Some of you are ridiculous. This isn't that bad. That AAV isn't even going to be that big of a deal in five years.
Agreed, the contract is fair relative to the market and another important factor is that Monahan might help get Johnny going again

I like it for the Jackets

Reactions: Xoggz22

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
WPG wanted Monahan too? They also offered 3.5Mx3 for Henrique.

Rough free agency period again for the Peg.

MoneyManny

Jun 28, 2021
The contract is obviously not very team friendly but it's hard to expect steals when signing a UFA to a rebuilding small market team that's not in Florida.

He can help set the culture and mentor the younger players and then there's a decent chance he finishes the contract on LTIR. He was acquired for nothing so if they have the cap to spare it's really not a huge deal.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
WPG wanted Monahan too? They also offered 3.5Mx3 for Henrique.

Rough free agency period again for the Peg.
People don't wanna hear it, but Columbus and Winnipeg are probably the 2 least desirable spots in the league. Historically, that's just how it's been. Yes, I'm aware of Johnny Hockey.

• Haha
Reactions: Fro and Xoggz22

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
Not worth to trying to convince the ignorant. Takes a lot for me to jump in on that type of ignorance anymore.
Me too, but sometimes you read something on a bad day or at a bad time and you have to put your foot down to stupidity.

Reactions: Xoggz22

CTHabsfan

Jul 28, 2007
People don't wanna hear it, but Columbus and Winnipeg are probably the 2 least desirable spots in the league. Historically, that's just how it's been. Yes, I'm aware of Johnny Hockey.
If Columbus is an undesirable spot it's due to the team's lack of success, not the area. As a city, you can do a lot worse than Columbus.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
From a high profile centre to a cap dump, to rejuvenating him value to a 1st and getting a second substantial contract. Which may end up having to be a cap dump in the future.

What an up and down career. Can’t recall any players that were traded as a cap dump like that and then getting another big deal that could be a second cap dump.

Still think it’s a worthy risk for Columbus in their situation .

Bond

May 10, 2012
From a high profile centre to a cap dump, to rejuvenating him value to a 1st and getting a second substantial contract. Which may end up having to be a cap dump in the future.

What an up and down career. Can’t recall any players that were traded as a cap dump like that and then getting another big deal that could be a second cap dump.

Still think it’s a worthy risk for Columbus in their situation .
One of the worst sequences from any GM in history. Screws up the cap and has to bridge Tkachuk, hardballs Gaudreau in the offseason and misses his window, and then forces a trade to get the privilege of signing Kadri to a retirement contract.

Morpheus

I am bot
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2007
Bot’s Motel
IMG_0655.gif

• Haha
Reactions: ThirdPeriodTurtle

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad